Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks - anyone out there having issues with blown fuse in the Control unit, front door, left? I have the 16 cargo and it did this back in Oct. The dealer replaced the fuse and left rear turn signal bulb, not sure the bulb was bad however.
Symptoms now, as they were back then are - windows inoperable from drivers side, left turn signal rapid flash(on dash only, not actual bulbs), and heated seat function not working too.
Bulb seems fine but just might replace it. Eating fuses just to maybe try and diagnose. Might have to use the 30 amp with the "S" on them? This fuse apparently is a slow tripper? Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
My first suggestion is to make careful note of EVERYTHING (check list in list form, ideally) that isn’t working with this problem. The second step is (after buying a quantity of the correct fuse) open the fuse box, see if the fuse in question is blown, and replace it. Then engage each of the non-functional items in turn after picking one to use as a control (e.g. use the drivers side power window switch after activating each item to see if it still works) most likely one of them will blow the fuse again. If not engage each function for longer.

You will most likely isolate exactly what is blowing the fuse. If not, you will have a comprehensive list of things on that circuit that ARENT blowing the fuse. If you can fix the problem yourself, you have saved money. If you can’t, you have provided your dealer/mechanic with a clear roadmap of where to look for a problem- or at least things they don’t have to look for. That will save you a lot of money in diagnostics. I can’t imagine a world in which the lamp in question is on that circuit but I come from a world before multiplex canbus Systems.

i remember saving myself a ton of money on my E300; I knew something was blowing the fuse. I eventually traced it to activating the washer system when the headlamps were on; obviously, the problem was the headlamp wiper system; I then isolated it further to the drivers side wiper motor, which was blown with a short. I unplugged the motor- problem solved for nothing but some ceramic fuses.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts