Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The A/C in my cargo van works great here on the west coast. But, on my last trip east of the Rockies, I had problems with super reduced airflow. If I turned off the A/C button, it would take 5-10 minutes for air flow to return to normal. Meanwhile the air coming out the vents was still cool but eventually turned warm. Unfortunately turning the A/C back on would result in the same reduced airflow in 20-30 minutes.

This seems like ice accumulation on the condenser which is usually due to a partially or fully clogged drain. Mine isn’t completely blocked as the van does drip water with the A/C on.

Does anyone have suggestions for clearing this? I don’t know where the condenser is - passenger side, I'd guess but is it accessible? Or, maybe I can clear a blockage by inserting something thin and flexible from below?

Thanks!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It might be due to a blocked cabin filter causing the evaporator coil to ice up or low R-134. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the suggestions. I replaced the cabin filter last month. It seemed only mildly dirty. It could be low refrigerant, but the A/C seems to work plenty fine (it was 103 today)

I just have the icing in humid parts of the country.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mine, 2016 cargo van in SoCal, does almost the same thing. If I turn off the AC, it blow cold air out for a couple of minutes, but it blows out cold air the minute I turn it back on. I asked my dealer about it and was told it is "normal". Their standard answer to any question.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts