Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a block heater in their Metris engine? A dealer in Seattle told me that MB does not make one. I live in Alaska and the Anchorage dealer does not carry the Metris so I have not bothered asked them.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they are on almost all of the vehicles here in Alaska, at least in the interior areas. In Anchorage, the city recommends plugging in when the temp is 20 F. Good for the air quality, good for the engine. Regardless of the fuel type, they are essential when the temp go below 0 F. And good luck when its -20 F or colder if you don't have your engine pre heated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It is not an option that I can see so I am not sure if it can be done. Might be worth it to call a dealer in Colorado and ask them.

Engine block heater is an option on most Jeep products as well as Subaru's

·
Registered
47 Posts
There are three reasons why a block heater is probably not needed: fuel injection, electronic ignition and, maybe most importantly, AGM battery. In addition, the engine has a relatively low internal 'inertia' due to its small size. I will be very surprised to discover that my van won't start even after sitting at -20F overnight. After that it is getting it warmed up. Whether you have a block heater or not, there are a lot of cold parts in the transmission and drivetrain that are not warmed like the engine. They need TLC on cold days, too. So go easy until the engine starts moving toward operating temperature. I would also be surprised to learn that air quality suffers unless you let it sit and idle for half an hour. Finally, if it is not an option, there may be no good place to insert it into the cooling system lines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts