Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everbody.
looking for ideas if anyone set up a bike stand inside the cargo area or outside with out using a trailer hitch. greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
well, that's using the trailer hitch. I assume the OP doesn't have that option. I sent request to Aluminess to express my interest in an on-body solution.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I purchased my Metris just for this purpose, moving my electric assist bicycles inside rather than outside on a rack. My wife wont drive a car with the bikes following so close :) . I did not research this prior to to purchase and thought it would be a simple thing to get a rack of some of kind mounted to the floor and a light ramp to run the bikes up and in, click, click and done. Not even close!

I fell and broke my ankle(fibula) riding a couple weeks ago, cant even drive now. I have had to quit searching except on line but have taken time off since I cant ride til Dec at the earliest. I had found a shop that will mount a rack if I find one that works for me using the existing tie downs. I have have front and rear fenders which eliminated the only manufactured one I had seen that had a locking ratcheting system I have seen. I have not found a ramp that would work but I think this wont be as hard after looking at a few choices.

When I find something I will follow up.

Fishbe, do the bikes on a rack upset any electronics (if you have them)...blind spot or lane change, rear distance to objects?

·
Registered
7 Posts
How many bikes do you need to transport? If 1-2 bikes weighing less than 20-30 pound each, bungee cords securing to the side holes will be sufficient.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In my case 2 bikes 60+ lbs each. Stromer electric assist .. the picture above with just 2 bikes that could support them would be awesome! I have the passenger version with carpet and rails. Don’t have tie down on the side

·
Registered
248 Posts
In my case 2 bikes 60+ lbs each. Stromer electric assist .. the picture above with just 2 bikes that could support them would be awesome! I have the passenger version with carpet and rails. Don’t have tie down on the side

Mine came with some tie downs that you can lock in the rails. Not sure if its standard but if not you can always order them.

The attached picture is for reference, these are not the ones I have, but the same concept. Maybe Robb or Jay may know....

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Those are cool tie downs! My owner's manual mentions something about tie-down straps - did those come with the van?

Anyone else have good lashing strap recommendations? Not sure that I'll shell out for the Mercedes model 6-6-84-8470 but I do want something of quality.

·
Registered
248 Posts
This is the actual one that came with my van. I think I have 6 or 8 of these. These were part of a package, it included two collapsible bins, the trunk partition and some extra nets in the inside for stuff. It didn't come with the tie down straps though

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
has anyone found a bicycle rack that will allow the rear hatch (or barn door) to open while flat or tilted down? Using factory hitch. I know the swing away types will work, but curious if there is a rack that would allow the rear hatch to open.

thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
My old school Yakima Roc clears by about 1/2”.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts