Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to more than likely be moving forward on a cargo Metris. Does anyone have one that isn't white? Was the dealer more motivated to get rid of it? my deal played the whole 'demand is off the charts' game when I visited them. He told me most of their Metris inventory was spoken for - but magically the two I was interested in weren't. I'm not really buying his story as I've seen not a single metris on the road, but figured I'd ask some advice here.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've got a non-white one and I think the dealer was just thrilled to be selling one at all. I tossed out a number $4,500.00 below sticker and I thought he'd swallowed my whole tackle box, should have played him along a bit more. I would think white would be deeper discounted since there's lots of those sitting on dealer lots, but I doubt color matters all that much.

"Demand is off the charts"- US sales figures for 2016 through May.
Ford Transit Connect- 17,768
Chevy City Express- 4,557
MB Metris- 2,236

It's a great van if it suits your needs but no way I'd overpay, it's a buyers market.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not a bad discount, from the sounds of it you could have probably negotiated it down more and they still would have budged. But on the plus side at least you got something off since I bet there are people that pay the sticker price and nothing less, sometimes more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a non-white one and I think the dealer was just thrilled to be selling one at all. I tossed out a number $4,500.00 below sticker and I thought he'd swallowed my whole tackle box, should have played him along a bit more. I would think white would be deeper discounted since there's lots of those sitting on dealer lots, but I doubt color matters all that much.

"Demand is off the charts"- US sales figures for 2016 through May.
Ford Transit Connect- 17,768
Chevy City Express- 4,557
MB Metris- 2,236

It's a great van if it suits your needs but no way I'd overpay, it's a buyers market.
I can't believe the transit connect is outselling it by so much. The Metris is far more capable. I do have a hard time justifying the price compared to a full size transit though, especially when CPOd ones exist at $22k with less than 10k miles. the lower roof of the Metris actually matters to me though where it may not matter to many buyers.

Do you mind me asking what part of the country you're from?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I can't believe the transit connect is outselling it by so much. The Metris is far more capable. I do have a hard time justifying the price compared to a full size transit though, especially when CPOd ones exist at $22k with less than 10k miles. the lower roof of the Metris actually matters to me though where it may not matter to many buyers.

Do you mind me asking what part of the country you're from?
Heck the dumpling deliver van City Express is doubling it's sales, that's pretty embarrassing.
Name recognition and market identification are why the Transit outsells it.

Mine's a full time driver and there's no way I'd want to do that with a full size transit. If you're looking for that happy middle, the Metris is really it. Yeah, the roof too. I could have squeezed a Transit in, but would have had to remove all the trim off the garage. Not a pretty site. Plus you're locked out of a lot of parking garages with the Transit.

Plug your specs in here and see what you get.
https://www.truecar.com/#/search

About as mid-west as mid-west gets.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Not a bad discount, from the sounds of it you could have probably negotiated it down more and they still would have budged. But on the plus side at least you got something off since I bet there are people that pay the sticker price and nothing less, sometimes more.
Plus it was exactly what I wanted save one option, and in the long run I'm glad it didn't have that last option. I was pretty shocked when he didn't flinch or counter, I was there next day with a check.

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
Heck, I got $2800 off before they were even taking orders.

The reason the TC outsells it is that it is quite a bit cheaper, people are afraid of MB maintenance costs (not without reason) and there is still a lingering fear from the ten years (of a 130 year history) that Mercedes didn't build the best car in the world.

Also there is a justified fear of the plumber who pulls up in a Cadillac.

(Actually I selected a spot dumping some left over inventory from my clothing business based on people not seeing my truck. As I was explaining my requirement to the owner (a friend) he actually said, "Sorta like showing up to fix the plumbing in a new Mercedes?" Oh yes, exactly like that!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Since I've been floating the idea of buying a "Mercedes" to friends, I've gotten a few reactions on the order of "you must be really successful", or "showing off, after all those years of Dodges and Fords?". They don't want to hear about the logical reasons - it seems like people are blinded by the Mercedes name, and 3-pointed star.

It has occurred to me to remove the big star on the front. It would still be pretty to me. Also, I will be using my Metris purely as a personal vehicle. If I were going to use it as a work truck as a contractor, I would probably remove it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Is the very bottom of the chart "off the charts"? >:D

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
Speaking for myself I never understood the attitude. Having built a successful business (through brute labor, hard work, a good understanding of my customers, and being really good at buying) I know what it takes to be successful in business:

You need to provide a good quality product or service, sold at a fair or better price, with excellent customer service, and do this consistently enough that you develop the reputation of being better than anyone else. It's hard work, and it takes time, but it isn't rocket science.

If I can afford an expensive car, it's because I am successful. And you don't get successful if you keep screwing your customers.

·
Registered
258 Posts
After owning several used MB's, in 1977 I bought my first new one, a 240d. I owned it for 28 years and it had to be the least expensive set of wheels ever.

I did run into those who had that "you must be rich!" attitude and just silently laughed it off.

·
Registered
213 Posts
in 1977 I bought my first new one, a 240d. I owned it for 28 years and it had to be the least expensive set of wheels ever.
That's a real testament. How many miles did you put on it? And how much do you credit the diesel engine for the longevity?

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
I've had older MBs, all diesel, and all of them made crazy miles (actually, most of them had crazy miles on them when I bought them). While I think a Metris will give you good service, it is not a W123 or W124. But, frankly, nothing is, and I sincerely doubt anything will be again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
1. Yes, I have a silver cargo Metris.

2. No the dealer was not motivated to get rid of it.

In fact I ordered it in the exact color I wanted, with the exact options I wanted. Then I waited 3 1/2 months for it to get built and shipped over. After looking at the new Ford Transit Connects, they were just not long enough in the cargo area for my needs. I test drove a Ram Promaster City in April of 2015 and was impressed, and I wanted one. But Ram Trucks would not let you "factory order" one to get the exact color and options you wanted. All you could do was go to their "Build & Price" web page, input what you wanted, and hope for a match. After months of doing that, only to never find a match, I learned about the Mercedes Metris. I called the dealer in Seattle, found out I could order one and get EXACTLY what I wanted in color and options, I test drove a demo, then ordered my Metris on the spot after that test drive.

I got a great discount from the dealer and a good trade-in on my old truck. Could I have paid less for my Metris by waiting months for dealers to get them in stock, and then playing the "Wheeler Dealer" game. Maybe, but I don't care. After months of dicking around trying to find a Ram Promaster City that matched my requirements I have now what is a much better vehicle for my needs, plus the van looks great, it's not Butt Ugly like the Fiat built Promaster City.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Passenger version here. Got silver and this seemed to be a more sought after color than the white. In the cargo (as, to an extent, in the passenger) there are certain more white vehicles available. So even if some lesser-desirability of non-white colors potentially exists, it's undercut by the fact that there are fewer non-white cargos on the market.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for all the responses guys. After calculating worst case miles I may wind up leasing if the accountant says it's advantageous to do so. MB is advertising $299/month so I figure anywhere under 400/mo realistically after they tell me that that ad is bullshit would be a decent deal including taxes etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
1. Yes, I have a silver cargo Metris.

2. No the dealer was not motivated to get rid of it.

In fact I ordered it in the exact color I wanted, with the exact options I wanted. Then I waited 3 1/2 months for it to get built and shipped over. After looking at the new Ford Transit Connects, they were just not long enough in the cargo area for my needs. I test drove a Ram Promaster City in April of 2015 and was impressed, and I wanted one. But Ram Trucks would not let you "factory order" one to get the exact color and options you wanted. All you could do was go to their "Build & Price" web page, input what you wanted, and hope for a match. After months of doing that, only to never find a match, I learned about the Mercedes Metris. I called the dealer in Seattle, found out I could order one and get EXACTLY what I wanted in color and options, I test drove a demo, then ordered my Metris on the spot after that test drive.

I got a great discount from the dealer and a good trade-in on my old truck. Could I have paid less for my Metris by waiting months for dealers to get them in stock, and then playing the "Wheeler Dealer" game. Maybe, but I don't care. After months of dicking around trying to find a Ram Promaster City that matched my requirements I have now what is a much better vehicle for my needs, plus the van looks great, it's not Butt Ugly like the Fiat built Promaster City.
That's exactly what our company is doing. Trying to find 3 identically outfitted the way we want(double slider cargos in silver, painted bumpers, dividers, interior panels, cargo lights, driver comfort, tiedowns) would be almost impossible. Ours should be here in Jan.

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
I was buying with 10-15 years of service in mind. I wanted exactly what I wanted. A few thousand dollars is not going to matter that much over a decade and a half.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I bought with a 20 year service life in mind. The expensive service people are annoying.

I own a 98 K1500 pick up from 05 to present, I also owned an 02 Volvo XC70 from 03 to 10'. Guess which one was more expensive to maintain. It was hands down the Chevy, even while putting twice the mileage in the Volvo and neither needed anything extraordinary .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes I bought mine two weeks ago with peable gray and it was 7k minus the Msrp . The white van with the same option less the cargo partition ( mine has the partition ) was 1500$ more. But boy I am glad to walk out with a price of a promaster Slt or transit connect price

1 - 20 of 22 Posts