Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to fit the BFG's onto a stock 2019 Metris Passenger van. Photo is below, these are the stock R17 2019 wheels.

I have done some research and this seems a popular choice. I plan to get a 2" lift as well in the next few weeks. I feel like this tire has a good balance of weight, fit, durability, bigger tread etc.

We drive on desert roads frequently, so want tougher tires, plus the extra traction. We parked off the road today, in a parking lot which was a sloping gravely hill, it was off the road, but nothing close to 4 x 4 territory. Even on a slight incline the traction just wasn't there when we came to pull away at first, RWD isn't a great off-roading combo. Hoping a larger diameter and deeper tread will help.

I have seen at least two reports on this forum that this has worked well. Wondering if anyone one has any input or feedback please? I really want to know if I can go ahead and order the tires, or if they might be too big and I need to wait for the lift I have planned?

I want to swap out the wheels to the black OEM Mercedes 2018 wheels, but nothing available at sensible prices at the moment ! Waiting for them to come back in stock.

Also should I consider the R16's with the BFG KO2 in 225/70/16's ??? I wasn't going to ask that but I felt I had too !!! Any advantage to 16" wheels and higher aspect ratio tires???

Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you Pounce ! I saw that post. There is another person who has done this as well. I was hoping to get a few more replies from people who have done this or have fitted other tires with the same dimensions 225/65/17 to the stock wheels.

·
Registered
2021 Metris Getaway
17 Posts
I would like to move to a 225/65/R17 tire for the winter. I was planning on ordering these from Tirerack along with winter specific wheels. My question was whether to just specify the stock Mercedes Metris 17x6.5 wheel for these new tires or if I needed to change. It seems from this thread that all will be fine with new winter steel wheels that exactly replace the stock Mercedes wheels with the slightly taller tires.

On another tire site it showed:
235/55/R17 (Stock) as wheel size 6.5jx17ET50 Lug M14x1.5 Center boar:66.6mm PCD 5x112
225/65/R17 (upgrade tire) as wheel size 7jx17ET51 - the rest the same
and it got me wondering if I should take this opportunity to get a different size wheel or if this was "polishing the apple" and unnecessary. Having two of the exact same wheel sizes for both summer and winter would seem to be some kind of benefit although I am not sure what.

I know nothing about tires or wheels and have tried to glean this information from previous postings but was unable to. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would like to move to a 225/65/R17 tire for the winter. I was planning on ordering these from Tirerack along with winter specific wheels. My question was whether to just specify the stock Mercedes Metris 17x6.5 wheel for these new tires or if I needed to change. It seems from this thread that all will be fine with new winter steel wheels that exactly replace the stock Mercedes wheels with the slightly taller tires.

On another tire site it showed:
235/55/R17 (Stock) as wheel size 6.5jx17ET50 Lug M14x1.5 Center boar:66.6mm PCD 5x112
225/65/R17 (upgrade tire) as wheel size 7jx17ET51 - the rest the same
and it got me wondering if I should take this opportunity to get a different size wheel or if this was "polishing the apple" and unnecessary. Having two of the exact same wheel sizes for both summer and winter would seem to be some kind of benefit although I am not sure what.

I know nothing about tires or wheels and have tried to glean this information from previous postings but was unable to. Thanks in advance for any advice.
I have the 225/65/R17 BFG K02's on a 2" lifted (Adventure Van Co) 2021 Metris and they will rub if you turn a sharp U or sharp low-speed turn (like into a tight parking space). Otherwise no rubbing in my experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts