Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Lala2 very good write up what everything you have done,(I am already searching for your idea=https://www.walmart.com/ip/Clam-Quick-Set-Escape-Portable-Camping-Outdoor-Gazebo-Canopy-Shelter-Screen/137596138? sounds comfortable for camping, today I was looking for some kind of square water storage that I could take with us, I am also thinking to lift the Metris and see where I could add water storage tank. We are going to Nevada soon and there is no portable water in the camp site. Interesting how much you have done so far :) thanks for letting me know, I do not know how to lookup a thread where you would have the simple conversion photos, so if you remember let me know.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks;)
I’ll make sure to let you know when I post. I encourage lowered expectations. It is simple, plain and without skill but I love it💕
Have fun on your big trip and good luck! That big stretch of road scares me a little.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wait, does someone make a water tank that fits over the wheel well to optimize that space? I should probably stop thinking about the van.....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Wait, does someone make a water tank that fits over the wheel well to optimize that space? I should probably stop thinking about the van.....
well Lala2 I am blessed :) I can think only about the van :) and than about camping and playing in the beautiful nature :) so be nice to your self life is very very short :-( and those who play the most, win :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Do you mean the one I posted?

Is that being critical of it or?

I personally wound not put this on the side of the van. Its perfect for under the van like I have suggested. Screw on cover and its stainless.
Any pics?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I ended up finding a spot just behind the rear wheel well that had ~1-2” hole to the outside.
Where's this at? A pic or two would be most helpful for the visual thinkers.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Both sides of the van come from the factory with symmetric holes in the bodywork hidden by the rear bumper cover. The larger hole (blue arrow) is covered by a removable cap. Its counterpart on the opposite side of the van is used as the pass-through for the trailer hitch receiver wiring harness.

You could fish a power cable through one of these holes and attach the connector afterwards.

·
Registered
414 Posts
View attachment 17464

Both sides of the van come from the factory with symmetric holes in the bodywork hidden by the rear bumper cover. The larger hole (blue arrow) is covered by a removable cap. Its counterpart on the opposite side of the van is used as the pass-through for the trailer hitch receiver wiring harness.

You could fish a power cable through one of these holes and attach the connector afterwards.
Any way to get to it without removing the bumper? My Cargo van has the factory hitch and blind spot monitoring. Going to dig around there tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yes. I just went outside and fished a rope through the green arrow hole as a proof-of-concept. It took about 20 seconds.
Awesome, looks like I'll be digging out some Thinsulate to get there. Huge help if I can finish my AC Main inlet through there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry that I missed all of this. Gottlieb - you covered it perfectly. Thanks!
I drilled through the plastic bumper and secured the outlet there. The black on black was nondescript enough for me. Good luck, it is awesome having shore power;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sorry that I missed all of this. Gottlieb - you covered it perfectly. Thanks!
I drilled through the plastic bumper and secured the outlet there. The black on black was nondescript enough for me. Good luck, it is awesome having shore power;)
Picture?

·
Registered
50 Posts
All apologies that I didn’t previously mention the specific outlet cord system used, Tower-Manufacturing-Over-Load-Guard-8-ft-14-3-SJTW-15-Amps-General-Extension-Cord from Lowe’s that was ~$17. It has a circuit breaker and a 14g wire to connect to the marine outlet. All you have to do is cut off the plug end and do the connecting to the marine plug. I made sure that my work was checked by a knowledgeable friend, because “electricity.” Please do the same, if you lack electrical know how like me. Supposedly, 15amps requires at least a 14g wire. I would have liked something heavier but went with what was out there that met this criteria. It made the total cost for shore power ~$40.

Also, if you don’t have a pop up roof, the Clam pop-up 6’x6’ traveler screen room with wind panels rocks! The larger Clam pop-up was too long packed up and unwieldy for just me. Perhaps, I should be posting about this elsewhere.......

21 - 35 of 35 Posts