Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Brilliant! I don't seem to have the slamming in the back since I usually have something back there but the fronts are terrible. Unfortunate AdventureVan had not thought of / included front shock extensions. No lift kit, except possibly Terranger, seems to be addressing the travel issue front/rear.

I can now see the value of the Terranger kit: spacers so no issues with front struts, includes [likely extended] rear shocks to deal with that. Hmmm, TÜV-approval says a lot.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I envision using some type of threadlocker to keep the hex nut & set screw from loosening up due to vibration.
What do you all think? Blue or Red Loctite? It's kind of a critical connection. I believe the nuts are usually nylon lockers.

Another consideration is adding a length of rubber bumpers to the shock shaft to accommodate the longer shaft and prevent the same slamming from happening if bottoming out the suspension. The existing rubber bumpers (I assume they're there on all these strut shocks) would not be long enough to engage if the extended shock rod is compressed completely.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just reread this thread. Great info and very helpful. I am loving my 2016 cargo and a lift may be in the future. Currently I am working on a Lithium battery and solar panel install and in the garage I have four sheets of Baltic Birch plywood cut to multiple sizes ready to asemble into three carcasses with large pull-out drawers. Engel 40 liter arrived this week and it was critical to my design as it does double duty as fridge and serves as part of the second bed when not traveling solo. It is plugged in right now, in the garage, filled with birthday party items for my wife's seventyith birthday this evening.
I must add that I very much enjoy the design challenges of creating a travel van to suit my very particular purposes. Just completed a 1700 mile road trip with a very hurried iteration #1 installed for sleeping and gear storage.This van is a Leopard.

Again, thanks for this thread. I appreciate the effort and willingness of the forumn members who post information that is so useful to the members.

·
Registered
42 Posts
@ColinJo the shock part number appears to be 554248 ML01 K. See attached image. View attachment 19008
Great thread and info you’ve shared, surfmetrisca. Curious to know…did your suspension guy cross reference and source a suitable length KYB for the rear? A lot of times, the shock part # has a ref to the length eye to eye. Just wondering as I’ve been doing research to see if KYB makes a suitable GR-2 model in the weight range etc. The Gas-A-Just is a great value, but the dual circuit damping of the more expensive KYB GR-2 might be a good alternative to Bilstein.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i just bought a 2017 metris and immediately got sucked into the rabbit hole of forums.
anyway, first plan of attack is a suspension lift by at least 2 inches and another 1" with bigger tires.
reading this thread several time i think there was a confusion with the metric system. the difference of 2mm (23-21) is 3/32 of an inch. i suppose the extended shock length is 23 inches long in comparison of the original with the length of 21".
i just ordered the KYB shocks and plan to fabricate spacer in aluminum similar to the Spaccer spacers. their prices are ridiculous, "high strength special aluminum". blah blah..
i also will modify the sway bar links, extending them by cutting, sleeving and welding.

thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anyone try the twin tube KYB's or Belstein's rear shocks yet? I am in the motorcycle suspension business, so am a bit picky about suspension. Hope to get my Metris dialed in. First I have to take delivery of it in a week or 2.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Bilstein rear shocks for the cargo van are on back order and have been for several months. I installed my front struts a few months ago. I am looking forward to driving it with both installed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Bilstein rear shocks for the cargo van are on back order and have been for several months. I installed my front struts a few months ago. I am looking forward to driving it with both installed.
Rocket, you ever get the rears? I have been poking around and can't find any in stock-but also concerned about the page 2 posts that said the Bilsteins are "too short" by 2mm? so they are not an exact replacement?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rocket, you ever get the rears?
Nope, still on back order. My Bilstein dealer is a retired Bilstein shock engineer and has been keeping me up to date.

I have been poking around and can't find any in stock-but also concerned about the page 2 posts that said the Bilsteins are "too short" by 2mm?
The too short comments are from people that installed two inch taller rear springs.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts