Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
@pounce - FYI, I took my van to the Suspension shop today and the owner admitted that the rear of the van did feel a little odd and overly firm. He put it up on the lift and he said the rear Bilstein B6 shocks are too short and that is causing the harsh rebound. He said the OEM Monroe shocks are the exact same size as the Bilstein's so it would be the same issue with the OEM rear shocks as well. He was able to find another shock (not sure which brand yet) that is 2mm longer and he installed it and said it drives much better. I'm going to pick it up in a few hours and I'll see the difference. I still feel like the front suspension is also overly stiff (and loud over bumps) but he didn't think there was any issue on the front. I also spoke to AdventureVan Co. who supplies the Springs and they said most likely because I removed the rear seats and really don't have much weight in the van that might be why the OEM shocks are too short because the new springs are probably fully open and if I had more weight in the van it would probably ride much better with the springs being partially compressed. In any case, I want to share my experience for others that are looking to do similar upgrades. Will report back later once I pick up the van.

·
Registered
43 Posts
@pounce - FYI, I took my van to the Suspension shop today and the owner admitted that the rear of the van did feel a little odd and overly firm. He put it up on the lift and he said the rear Bilstein B6 shocks are too short and that is causing the harsh rebound. He said the OEM Monroe shocks are the exact same size as the Bilstein's so it would be the same issue with the OEM rear shocks as well. He was able to find another shock (not sure which brand yet) that is 2mm longer and he installed it and said it drives much better. I'm going to pick it up in a few hours and I'll see the difference. I still feel like the front suspension is also overly stiff (and loud over bumps) but he didn't think there was any issue on the front. I also spoke to AdventureVan Co. who supplies the Springs and they said most likely because I removed the rear seats and really don't have much weight in the van that might be why the OEM shocks are too short because the new springs are probably fully open and if I had more weight in the van it would probably ride much better with the springs being partially compressed. In any case, I want to share my experience for others that are looking to do similar upgrades. Will report back later once I pick up the van.
So, I test drove my van last night after the suspension shop installed the longer rear shock (KYB Gas a just) and the ride on the rear is SO MUCH BETTER. With the little bit longer shock (23mm vs OEM 21mm) the shock is now able to do it's job going up and down. The mechanic said that with the longer Springs from AdventureVan Co. the shock was only doing it's job on the upward motion but on the downward motion it was popping out and not able to do what it's supposed to. I'm very happy that we figured this out for the rear. UNFORTUNATELY, the front suspension still has the same issue with having a super harsh rebound over speed bumps. The owner of the suspension shop called around and he said there are no compatible longer strut/shock that will fit the front of the Metris. He believes that it's the same issue that the rear had where the shock is only able to do it's job on the upward motion and on the downward it's popping out. He also spoke to AdventureVan Co. and they said there's nothing to be done. So now, after all the time and money spent I just have to live with the shock only doing 50% of it's job on my front suspension. It's kinda a bummer that AdventureVan Co. says the OEM shocks will work just fine when in reality it will negatively impact the ride quality due to needing a longer shock. Everything in life is a compromise and I will live with this compromise...I just wish I had known about this going into it so I had better expectations set. For those other Metris owners installing a Spring lift kit for your Metris, if you are going to have a decent amount of weight in the rear (pop top, roof top tent, or other heavier cargo) then you might not need to get a longer shock but if you don't have a lot of weight in the rear then you will either need to live with harsh ride quality (over bumps/gaps) or you can get a longer shock like I did (highly recommend). Unfortunately there's no solution to solve this issue for the frontend.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,120 Posts
I wonder if the links for the front stabilizer are too short. The Terranger lift kit for W447 doesn't change the front shocks, but does add front links that are likely longer. The Terranger kit keeps the stock springs and uses spacer blocks to lift. That keeps the ride the same "softness" as stock.

Glad you took it back to the shop to have them check it out. Modifications like this can be expensive and there are losses when you have to change them. Been there.

edit: You can also double check that the front B6's are 22-262172. You should be able to see the sticker with the part number on it easily. Also, it is technically possible to get shock extenders to add travel.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wonder if the links for the front stabilizer are too short. The Terranger lift kit for W447 doesn't change the front shocks, but does add front links that are likely longer. The Terranger kit keeps the stock springs and uses spacer blocks to lift. That keeps the ride the same "softness" as stock.

Glad you took it back to the shop to have them check it out. Modifications like this can be expensive and there are losses when you have to change them. Been there.

edit: You can also double check that the front B6's are 22-262172. You should be able to see the sticker with the part number on it easily. Also, it is technically possible to get shock extenders to add travel.
@pounce - Really appreciate all your advice. I can confirm that the B6’s are part# 22-262172 . I also spoke to the shop owner about potentially finding longer front links but he didn’t think that would totally solve the problem and he said would be hard to find. Great minds on the shock extender! I also researched and read about shock extenders. I ordered these ones which say they add 2” to Bilstein “large body shocks”. The shop owner said these “might” work and he’s willing to give it a try so I’m having them shipped to his shop next week. I’m not entirely sure these are compatible with the Bilstein B6 strut on my van but I’m willing to see. Outside of these extenders working I’m kinda out of ideas and I haven’t been able to find other shock extenders that say they’ll work with the Bilstein B6 struts. Steel Shock Extension Bilstein 2in ALL60097

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,120 Posts
Is this a legit suspension shop? All sorts of adjustible length links are on the market. This is a common need for lowering and lifting. It may very well not be your main issue, but you may benefit from having them.

Id start with a shorter extension like a 1 inch if the issue is travel.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is this a legit suspension shop? All sorts of adjustible length links are on the market. This is a common need for lowering and lifting. It may very well not be your main issue, but you may benefit from having them.

Id start with a shorter extension like a 1 inch if the issue is travel.
Thanks @pounce They are a suspension and alignment shop with a lot of positive reviews on various platforms and they do a lot of vehicle lifts. I think they are a good shop but inherently a little lazy and not super proactive at finding alternative solutions. I spoke with them again today and they clarified they can probably find longer links and are looking into this. The shop owner recommended the 2” extenders so that’s what we’re gonna try first and if there too long I’ll try the 1” extenders.
I understand a longer shock helping but I don't understand a length of 23mm, that's less than an inch. What length does that refer to?
good question. After I did the math I also realized that measurement must be referring to a different part of the shock. The longer shock I installed has to be longer than that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great news, after buying/trying various shock extenders that didn’t fit I was able to create my own extensions (links below) that worked and I picked up my van tonight and the front suspension and shocks feel normal again!! I ended up having to crate my own extenders that were the correct diameter and thread pitch because no one makes these pre-assembled. I used 2” extenders and I can now go over speed bumps without any harsh rebound or loud thud from the front shocks over-extending on the upward motion! I’m so happy I didn’t just accept that this is how my van would ride after upgrading the springs. And I now know that the Bilstein B6 shocks were not the problem. The B6’s (just on the front now) feel great after installing the extenders. Now with the longer rear KYB shocks and the 2” shock extenders on the front struts my shocks are doing their job on the upward and downward travel and sit in the middle of their compression range. Hopefulky other Metris owners can learn from my saga and save some time/money. Also, because I don’t have much weight in my van it’s possible that other Metris owners who do a Spring Lift and have more weight (camper setup, pop top tent, etc...) might be able to leave the OEM shocks untouched because of the extra weight. Adventure Van Co. said if I had another 1,000 lbs. in my van I probably wouldn’t have the shock over-extension issue. But if you’re riding light like me, shock extenders on the front and longer shocks on the rear make all the difference! Here are the two items I ordered to make my custom DIY shock extenders that fit the Metris front strut/shock. FYI, your front strut/shock rods diameter is 14mm and the thread pitch for the threaded part on top of the road is 1.5.

Stand-off Coupling Hex Nut (14mm x 1.5): NLONG14X1.5X50SS - FINE Standoff Hex Nut Stainless [NLONG14X1.5X50SS] - $9.13 : Bel-Metric, Metric Hardware, Metric Fasteners, Metric Bolts, Metric Nuts & Time-Sert Thread Repair

Threaded Rod Screw (14mm x 1.5):SS14X1.5X35FLAT - Set Screw Fine Thread [SS14X1.5X35FLAT] - $4.39 : Bel-Metric, Metric Hardware, Metric Fasteners, Metric Bolts, Metric Nuts & Time-Sert Thread Repair

Thanks to @pounce and others for all the advice and help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Surf...

This is really good info. I've got a set of the Adventure Van springs waiting to be installed and would have been similarly disappointed with the 'topping out' of the stock length shocks. I have a passenger like yours that is lightly loaded with mountain bikes and ocasionally camping gear. Will likely go the B6 front/KYB rear route as you have done. I've installed KYB Gas-a-just shocks on previous cars and been exceptionally pleased with the significantly improved control. I believe they have similar monotube construction to the B6's. Would you happen to know the part number for the KYB rear shocks? They don't show up on KYB's online catalog.

As for the additional parts to exrtend the Bilstein struts, it just so happens the your source, Bel-Metric, is in the next town over from me, so that'll be an easy online order and same-day pickup. I envision using some type of threadlocker to keep the hex nut & set screw from loosening up due to vibration.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks Surf...

This is really good info. I've got a set of the Adventure Van springs waiting to be installed and would have been similarly disappointed with the 'topping out' of the stock length shocks. I have a passenger like yours that is lightly loaded with mountain bikes and ocasionally camping gear. Will likely go the B6 front/KYB rear route as you have done. I've installed KYB Gas-a-just shocks on previous cars and been exceptionally pleased with the significantly improved control. I believe they have similar monotube construction to the B6's. Would you happen to know the part number for the KYB rear shocks? They don't show up on KYB's online catalog.

As for the additional parts to exrtend the Bilstein struts, it just so happens the your source, Bel-Metric, is in the next town over from me, so that'll be an easy online order and same-day pickup. I envision using some type of threadlocker to keep the hex nut & set screw from loosening up due to vibration.
Sounds great @ColinJo ! Glad I could help. I’m not sure of the KYB shock part# but let me see if I can find out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
@ColinJo - One other thing you might want to consider/look into as per @pounce suggestion is longer Swaybar links for the frontend. I did not change mine out as the mechanic said they looked fine and so far things seem good but I did notice that both the Terranger lift kit and this lift kit from Santa Cruz Campers both include longer swaybar links. I'm guessing they must provide some type of ride improvement. I'm not sure how much longer these links are compared to the oem ones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
21 - 40 of 50 Posts