Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 metris pass, i ordered B6 set from summit for 620shipped (something close to that).
It took me an afternoon to do, i searched for how tos and you tube but had no luck.

The backs are shocks, so was very simple. I also removed brake rotors cause i wanted to adjust the parking brake. Which was very simple once rotor was off. I saw on a sprinter that you can adjust thru stud holes but i wanted better access.

Removal of fronts were more than i expected. Tho its probably possible to do w out removing wiper assembly and its tray, being my 1st time on metris i removed them and saw how much more engine is exposed w out them!
The rest of the strut change was straight forward. Reusing old spring base was a surprise.

The ride is so much better. I had pushed and sort of felt by hand the difference of the 2. B6 had faster rebound and slower to go in. And this can be felt during the drive. Improvement is so significant, im very happy that i did it even with 42k on odo.
I bought this used with 41k exactly a month ago. Metris sat at a dealer for 4 days during my ownership.
Initial complaint by me was 1 rear hvac doesnt work, 2 driver rear slide doesnt work via button but works via handle, 3 coolant leak from resavoir tank, 4 trunk doesnt close easily unless slammed. (Sort of my fault since i had removed all door panels and installed sound deadner butyl/aluminum sheets and didnt bother to align the door stoopers).
Anyways they fixed hvac, was had blower regulator. Door lock solenoid was replaced and now works. But coolant continues to ooze out. Maybe few drops per day to leave crust of coolant all around the cap. And left rear door striker stopper loose.
Dealer is terrible.
Anyways that is my 1 month ownership. So far i love it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to upload pics of install and did upload... however not showing here. I read somewhere new members cant post pics so that maybe it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
24-262178 rear, 22-262172 front.
No struts and shocks does not change ride height. Does not change the limits of load and towing.
What it does change is how the van drives. It feels more agile, sure footed, and more comfortable imo.
I have yet to tow with B6 but my work boat/trailer is just over 3000lbs. Im pretty sure B6 will be much better towing and hauling heavy payload.

·
Registered
869 Posts
2016 metris pass, i ordered B6 set from summit for 620shipped (something close to that).
It took me an afternoon to do, i searched for how tos and you tube but had no luck.

T

Great write-up -- thanks. I had trouble with a very tiny coolant leak -- I mean immeasurable but still obvious white spots. Took it to the dealer under warranty, 24 hour pressure test, no parts replacement. That was at about 5000 miles, now at around 10k. Our resident MB mechanic RobbMeeX noted replacing the coolant overflow hose assembly under warranty for a customer on a 2016 back a few years ago.

Reactions: Chidiver

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great write-up -- thanks. I had trouble with a very tiny coolant leak -- I mean immeasurable but still obvious white spots. Took it to the dealer under warranty, 24 hour pressure test, no parts replacement. That was at about 5000 miles, now at around 10k. Our resident MB mechanic RobbMeeX noted replacing the coolant overflow hose assembly under warranty for a customer on a 2016 back a few years ago.
Thats my exact same problem, coolant oozes out maybe few drops over a white and leaves a crust of dried coolant around the overflow tank cap. It looks like theres a O ring that should be replaced but my dealer DID NOT. Returned to me saying pressure tested ok and keep an eye on it. Before my 90 days warranty is up I will take it back and push for it. thank you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Chidiver, thanks for posting. I'm surprised at how rough my passenger van rides with the "comfort" suspension, especially at slow speeds. Did you notice a difference in ride quality under 30 mph? Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It made a huge diff in slower speed bumpy roads. I dont know for a fact what oem monroe are.. but monroe has very slow rebound. Bilsteins is monotube design and rebounds fast, so its ready for another hit much quicker than monroe. I think thats the main reason why my ride has improved so much.
On slower speeds i find the van body not move as much because B6 is taking the hits fast. W oem monroe, van swayed and dipped alot more. Night and day difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts

The backs are shocks, so was very simple. I also removed brake rotors cause i wanted to adjust the parking brake. Which was very simple once rotor was off. I saw on a sprinter that you can adjust thru stud holes but i wanted better access.

Removal of fronts were more than i expected. Tho its probably possible to do w out removing wiper assembly and its tray, being my 1st time on metris i removed them and saw how much more engine is exposed w out them!
The rest of the strut change was straight forward. Reusing old spring base was a surprise.

The ride is so much better. I had pushed and sort of felt by hand the difference of the 2. B6 had faster rebound and slower to go in. And this can be felt during the drive. Improvement is so significant, im very happy that i did it even with 42k on odo.
I bought this used with 41k exactly a month ago. Metris sat at a dealer for 4 days during my ownership.
Initial complaint by me was 1 rear hvac doesnt work, 2 driver rear slide doesnt work via button but works via handle, 3 coolant leak from resavoir tank, 4 trunk doesnt close easily unless slammed. (Sort of my fault since i had removed all door panels and installed sound deadner butyl/aluminum sheets and didnt bother to align the door stoopers).
Anyways they fixed hvac, was had blower regulator. Door lock solenoid was replaced and now works. But coolant continues to ooze out. Maybe few drops per day to leave crust of coolant all around the cap. And left rear door striker stopper loose.
Dealer is terrible.
Anyways that is my 1 month ownership. So far i love it!
Hi and thank you for you post. I'm having the same problem with my passenger sliding door. When you said that the lock solonoid was replaced, did you mean the lock actuator?

Thank you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It made a huge diff in slower speed bumpy roads. I dont know for a fact what oem monroe are.. but monroe has very slow rebound. Bilsteins is monotube design and rebounds fast, so its ready for another hit much quicker than monroe. I think thats the main reason why my ride has improved so much.
On slower speeds i find the van body not move as much because B6 is taking the hits fast. W oem monroe, van swayed and dipped alot more. Night and day difference.
I also replaced my OEM shocks on my 2018 Passenger van about 4 weeks ago with Bilstein B6’s (front/rear). I was replacing my springs with the AdventureCo 2” spring lift and the Suspension shop owner showed me how worn my OEM shocks were with only 25k on them. The van had most likely been driven in some snow and the shocks (mostly rears) showed signs of early wear and tear. He said he wouldn’t charge me labor to install new shocks while he was installing the springs and he recommended Bilstein B6’s. I took his advice as he said the B6’s are the best OEM replacement option. Since I had them installed 4 weeks ago I’ve noticed that going over speed bumps with the Bilsteins are much louder and more uncomfortable. I think they rebound too quickly and they make a loud thunk unless I go extremely slow over the speed bump. I much preferred the OEM shocks for this. Driving on the road they feel good but if I hit a pothole or driving over a freeway gap/transfer I also notice a loud thud and a harsh rebound. I’m disappointed how firm and loud these Bilsteins are. I wince every time I hit a pothole or have to go over a speed bump. Have you had the same experience with your Bilstein B6’s? FYI, the new springs are supposed to be the same spring rate as the OEM springs on the front and slightly stiffer on the rear. I don’t think the springs are the culprit (especially with the same spring rate on the front ones). Most people who had these same springs installed have not complained about this loud/harsh rebound. So I’m thinking it’s the Bilsteins?

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,334 Posts
A thud is no good. I'd take it back to the installer and have the check the mounts. Probably need to tighten the lowers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
A thud is no good. I'd take it back to the installer and have the check the mounts. Probably need to tighten the lowers.
Thanks @pounce that’s a good recommendation. I’m definitely calling the install shop tomorrow to discuss. They are a suspension specialty shop so I’d be surprised if they missed something. I’m hoping they did miss something like tightening the lowers but if not then I might ask them to replace with the Bilstein B4’s which I think are supposed to be identical spec to the OEM Monroe’s. I just don’t want to live with brand new shocks that are so uncomfortable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't blame you. It's not like surfboards are heavy so you really don't need sport shocks.
I spoke to the install shop and he gave me the, “anytime you modify the stock suspension speech.” I explained that other Metris’s with the same springs aren’t experiencing what I am and that I believe this harsh rebound is from the B6 shocks. I’m going to take it into their shop later this week to take a look to see if there’s anything wrong but my feeling is that these shocks are just to firm for my needs. I see this ending with me replacing these B6’s with the Bilstein B4’s. We’ll see how much of the cost of doing this the installer will take on.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,334 Posts
Get under there and bang the shock with a fist. Does it thud or make a clunk? It's possible you have a defective shock. It's also possible they did not install them correctly. Even though its a suspension shop they still hire people and some people are new. You need to tighten the lowers with the wheels on the ground.

But to rule out the noise check the spare and anything in the side like tools or the tow hook etc. Before taking it to the shop be able to recreate it on a bump within a block or two of the shop. Speed bumps or curb cuts might work. You just want to be sure so when you get the person to ride in the van you can tell them where to drive and how fast to hit the spot to 100% get the thunk.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Get under there and bang the shock with a fist. Does it thud or make a clunk? It's possible you have a defective shock. It's also possible they did not install them correctly. Even though its a suspension shop they still hire people and some people are new. You need to tighten the lowers with the wheels on the ground.

But to rule out the noise check the spare and anything in the side like tools or the tow hook etc. Before taking it to the shop be able to recreate it on a bump within a block or two of the shop. Speed bumps or curb cuts might work. You just want to be sure so when you get the person to ride in the van you can tell them where to drive and how fast to hit the spot to 100% get the thunk.
really helpful advice, thanks @pounce !

1 - 20 of 46 Posts