Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, if I wanted to put the Becker Map Pilot in my 2016 Metris, the harness appears to be there, how do I know which one to buy on eBay? The ones I've seen have been Becker Audio 20 Map Pilot but Audio 15 is in the Metris. I'd rather buy one that is new/newer to get the best map info. The part #s are all over the place.

Hopefully, I'm not bugging you guys too much >:D

Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree. Buy third party, or just use your phone connected by Bluetooth. I bought this cup holder phone mount for my van. It fits nicely in the cup holder on the dash. I like it, it holds my phone in just the right place without being obstructive.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
434 Posts
Where you buy that??
If you are using the Chrome browser you can right click on an image and search using an image. It can help find something without having the describe it.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Holder-Magnetic-Tackform-Magnet-Universal/dp/B01MU4UA99[/ame]

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
No. I do, however, frequently wear a 1920s wristwatch that does not have an antimagnetic movement. And my other watches, while they are supposedly antimagnetic, constant exposure to magnetic fields is not good for them, being mechanical.

My anti google attitude is a privacy thing. I don’t think they are out to get me, I am sure that I am really rather boring if you took a look. But I find the invasion irritating.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
434 Posts
No. I do, however, frequently wear a 1920s wristwatch that does not have an antimagnetic movement. And my other watches, while they are supposedly antimagnetic, constant exposure to magnetic fields is not good for them, being mechanical.

My anti google attitude is a privacy thing. I don’t think they are out to get me, I am sure that I am really rather boring if you took a look. But I find the invasion irritating.
Anti google is fine with me. The magnetic device holders are safe though and wont harm your phone. You would probably keep your watch far enough away to be safe.

I have RAM mounts for my phones. They make a nice heavy duty gripper. If you are a person that likes quality these are seriously sturdy.

https://www.rammount.com/device/phone-mounts

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-299-3-UN10U

·
Registered
401 Posts

Greenman I don’t think anyone can find you boring.

·
Registered
119 Posts
For clarification: The magnet is a part of the mount that sits in the cup holder. A steel plate is stuck to your phone. I don't think that the magnetic field produced by this thing would cause you or your watches any trouble. Unless you drive with your face against the windshield and your hand in the defrosting vent.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Putting on my hat as a former watchmaker, ANY measurable amount of magnetic force is a problem with older standard blued steel hair Springs, Breguet-style bi-metallic balance wheels, and ferrec balance staffs.

The magnetic force at a low level will screw with the expansion and contraction of the hairspring, even on a modern mechanical watch. The difference is the anti-magnetic properties of modern hairsprings reduce (but does not eliminate) the chance of the of the spring becoming magnetic, ruining it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the nav unit, didn’t have a USB port available and never updated it but find it just short of useless trying to get an address on it. I just ordered one of these from Amazon

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
There is no point in updating it. Mine is current, and as delivered in late October of 2015.

That being said, this is a lot easier to enter info than my Garmin Nuvi. In particular, the voice system works much more effectively on the map pilot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I speak to it I can get the street most times but never the numbers. I line on a .5 mile street. I live at one end but my home location is at the other end. Not helpful for local destinations. I gave up after only a short fight with it since waze is preferred anyway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts