Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told by the dealer that this awful system can be updated so it's not quite so awful. They made it sound easy as if a USB was all that's required. Has anyone updated theirs?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't think it's that easy. I seem to remember seeing in some of the paper documentation that they sold a yearly subscription for map updates. I assume that was Becker's schtick, as if the cost of the unit was not enough.

I'm game/curious/interested in alternatives, if anyone has a hack that works. I think the update requires windows/mac software. I'd love to be able to copy a usb file and be done with it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
can be updated if they ever actually produce an update.
I picked up my Metris in early September, and I updated the firmware in the Becker module some time in mid-October.

It does plug in via USB. There's software to download to your computer. It's beyond bizarre to use, and the translation to English was not done by a native English speaker.

But, ultimately, it did work.

I couldn't tell any change in how it works.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Why was this brand chosen? Does it have an advantage over say a Garmin or even a Tom-Tom?

·
Registered
259 Posts
played around with it last night. If you are not signed in through the becker software and have an account created thought the "buy" tab you'll never be able to download the new software. Of course there is no indication that you need to do that anywhere. The update then gets "purchased" from the becker store and the install is easy.

of course the "sync" buttons also seem to delete all the content off the unit and the backup brings up an "invalid file type" when it just asks you to select a folder.

One thing I did see while hand copying my map files back on the unit is that the last destinations are stored in a sql db file. going to play around with that and see if there is a good way to externally add way points since they are very helpful to preload when taking trips and stuff.

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
Why was this brand chosen? Does it have an advantage over say a Garmin or even a Tom-Tom?
Becker has been providing MB infotainment systems since they were brand new and called a "Radio" (not a stereo, mind you, just radio). The fact that the company was originally German (before Harmon bought them out and Samsung bought out Harmon yesterday) probably has something to do with it.

Garmin has replaced Becker on the most recent entry level luxury models. I'd guess in a year or two it will transfer to the commercial stuff too. Then you replace your head unit with the newest one.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Looking forward to see what Samsung does with Harmann. Though any update/new features will be wishful for older systems. Too much construction/closed roads & bridges in my neck of the woods, so I can totally rely on the unit navigation. Android is the Waze to go.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Good to know Green.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It is very unfortunate, but Alpine X800D-V447 is only available in EU. Bringing it in US will not make any sense for several reasons. Maps not available, DVD region is set for EU market, Tuner both analog and digital (according to Alpine) is set for EU market. I've being an Alpine dealer in US for more then 20 years and my rep told me that there is no plan on bring this model in the US. Sad story.

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
If you look up Sprinter head units on ebay, there are several factory-look units that offer android operating systems and myriads of features. They aren't alpines, but I have heard they do integrate properly and look like a Mercedes factory stereo.

That being said, I wouldn't vouch for the quality. If you are really looking for better Nav, I can't recommend portable ones enough. I wish somebody would design a 7" CarPlay compatible display I could mount on my dash, though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Vadim - I can confirm that I got the same response via email with Alpine. Too bad - looks like a good alternative. Can't believe that with a little programming these units couldn't be made US-ready....oh, well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Becker Map Pilot is not the way to go

Becker map pilot is old and out dated. Gets the job done, but time is wasted fiddling around with the pixelated unit. If you really need navi in the command unit and going the phone route just wont work for you, you are better off switching out the whole deck with an aftermarket Alpine or Kenwood unit that has Apple Carplay or some better navigation system. If you dont get C02 Driver Efficiency package on the Metris, included for $650 is becker map pilot, then installing after the fact is $1350+. For 1/2 that you can get a better aftermarket touchscreen display unit with apple car play or android auto.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I pick up my cargo van this past Saturday I plug in my Becker unit to my pc download an firmware update that was all. I didn't pay attention to the buy button. Is there more things to update?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts