Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have recently purchased a 2016 Metris with the Becker Audio 15 Map Pilot. We thought it had Nav but is say "No Module" when we try Nav. I contacted the Dealer and they want $825 for the module! Any thoughts or info on this would be greatly appreciated. We really like the machine so far and our sticker was $41,310 so it has 95% of the options available and all that we wanted.
Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Did you test drive the vehicle prior to purchase? I don't mean just driving it, but trying out all the features and being familiar? That would have shown up and a good time to ask about it before buying.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The cradle that holds the Becker Map Pilot module is located in the upper left corner of the glove compartment, so look there first. You may find that (1) the cradle isn't installed or (2) you have the cradle but no Map Pilot cartridge installed or (3) you have the Map Pilot cartridge installed in the cradle.

If (3), you have the cartridge installed in the cradle, it could be that the Map Pilot module isn't seated correctly in the cradle. Try removing the cartridge and reinstalling in the cradle.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Also dealers are instructed not to install it until you take delivery- it might be in its box in the glove compartment.

Anyway if your sticker says it shipped with the Becker map pilot- not just the prewiring- than it should be there and if it isn't your dealer is ripping you off.

If it's just the prewiring, than the module should not be there. But don't buy it at the dealer. Buy a recent unused one on eBay for less than half that.

·
Registered
271 Posts
PDI....a cost passed onto you by the dealer to keep the compensation by the manufacturer. One if many reasons I do not trust dealerships.

Be vigilant!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
A PDI, or Pre-delivery Inspection, is what dealers do to prep the car for delivery. Cars are not delivered to dealers ready to go out the door, partially because somethings need to be done just before delivery.

An example is the Map Pilot which can be upgraded for 45 days or some such after first activation. So the system is activated during the PDI so as to give you the full 45 days.

It is an important part of delivery: it being passed on to the customer is not absolutely standard- my dealer didn't line item it.

Dealers are businesses trying to make money. I don't begrudge them that, they do generally make money, but not many exactly print the stuff. Daimler is the most profitable maker by margin, at roughly 9%. I don't know the dealer margin, but with their colossal overhead and floor plan costs, I doubt most dealers have Scrooge McDuck style money bins.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It has been a year, but I seem to recall my dealer showing me the module, how to install, and recommending a follow instructions...which were easy...to hook up to my home computer to update the system before plugging into car.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My Nav. is having problems too. It's stuck to load the map with logo of Becker by Harman--->Activating navigation module. Please wait ...--->No navigation module is connnected.

I showed the video I recorded last time at a dealership but they didn't do anything to fix: no recall applied to my VIN. Not the mirror either.

It happens once in a while so I just turn off and on the engine to reload. Might go to another dealer to fix (been with 3 different ones for my other problems).

·
Registered
271 Posts
I know what PDI is about, I've bought many cars new and with each one passing I get more and more aware of excess and frivolous charges. (I remember a $599.00 admin fee (for buying a car) from a Chrysler dealership which I had snuffed, window etching, etc...)

What I'm saying is that the manufacturer includes it in the list price. MB expects the car to be ready cosmetically and mechanically whether it has a buyer or not. This usually is some co-op student taking off the bird **** paper, plastic off the seats, a vaccum and a quick wash. The technician will test drive and do the usual 50 pt check. They are not NASA scientist inspecting a space shuttle. Prep boy and Tech combined maybes costs the dealer a $100 on average to complete this.

How much was your PDI?

The dealer will of course pass that to you to pay while they get their share (double dip). Now, actual destination charge is non-negotiable apparently and becomes your problem (another negative value incurred).

I have lots of stories of starving dealerships trying to making their bucks off me. With age I become more intolerant of their mind games.

Reactions: river

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I was a retailer who did both buying and selling for my business. I know every mind game in the book, and a few I invented. When I bought my van, none were played on me. I specified what I wanted via email, was quoted a price, countered with a quote from another dealer, they matched it, (invoice, by the way, and that's not bad since I was the third retail delivery of a Metris in the US) I called in with a credit card for a $500 deposit that I was frankly told was non refundable.

5 months later, my car came in, I was called, approved for financing, agreed to the 7/120 warranty at what I expected to pay for it, handed them the down payment, signed the papers, and drove off. I think I spent 45 minutes in the dealer total.

The only fee was the state reg fee, as specified by the state. Yes, there was a $995 destination fee. I doubt it costs much less than that to ship it from Spain to Ladson to NJ. I'm sure the dealer made money on me. I hope so. I've been very happily servicing my cars there for 15 years, although I have never bought one from them. I think I got a good price for such an early delivery.

·
Registered
271 Posts
See, I'm not against a dealer making money, but rather the dishonesty behind some of their motives. The ruse is a 3 - 4 dealer person tag team against you. The more they wear you down, the more likely you will sign anything just to get out of there. I've noticed this more at the high volume dealers.

When a PDI is rushed and a couple of days later there are issues (annoying, minor or perhaps major) with your vehicle means you didn't get your money's worth. Now you have to book a time to have the vehicle looked at again (and again). If I order the vehicle and it arrives, I will be sure to go through it with a fine tooth comb. Just have to be vigilant and aware.

I've told my salesman up front, no bulls**t. Just straight up this is what I'm looking at and how I'm going to do it and what he can do to help me to make me a happy customer. This will lead to positive referrals in the future.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My Nav. is having problems too. It's stuck to load the map with logo of Becker by Harman--->Activating navigation module. Please wait ...--->No navigation module is connnected.

I showed the video I recorded last time at a dealership but they didn't do anything to fix: no recall applied to my VIN. Not the mirror either.

It happens once in a while so I just turn off and on the engine to reload. Might go to another dealer to fix (been with 3 different ones for my other problems).
I had the same problem with the no navigation module is connected ever since I did the latest software update. It's been ok after 3 or 4 start up.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts