Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems strange to take my car in for a 45,000 mile service, since it is still in my mind my "new car". Granting it is 7 years newer than any car I ever owned, it just seems odd, but I have owned her for nearly 15 months. I still love the car immensely, and it has served well as transportation device for my project, a crash pad, a hotel room, a stuff transporter, and especially my office.

The 45,000 mile service is an A-service (the 'glorified oil change') and also the replacement of the engine's four spark plugs. (I had a V6 that had 12 spark plugs!). The price tag for the A-service was $198. The spark plugs were listed at ~$250 installed. I also needed front brakes (they did the rear brakes last time) and this time, the rotors were below spec, so I needed both pads and rotors, the job was quoted at $550. The total with tax should have been $1070, but it came to $940. Besides a specific $25 coupon applied, I couldn't quite follow where the discounts came from, but all of those prices are obviously less by some amount.

In addition to the above, I had a few additional issues that needed to be addressed. My Becker Map Pilot has been cantankerous with starting up, sometimes taking several minutes to do so. After trying several different things over the past few services, (I have only taken it in outside of service twice, and both cases because parts were back ordered) they replaced the module unit. My car had been hit in the rear, and repaired at a MB-approved body shop (I recommend doing this if you do get into a shunt and have semi-decent insurance)- in any case, the rear latch wasn't working quite right. The dealer replaced the latch assembly, gently bawled out the body shop, and sent it to them to re-align the door, also covered under somebody's warranty (I wasn't told if it was the Mercedes or the Body Shop that paid for what, and I don't actually care). The lights-on-when-door-open defeat switch on my "premium overhead console" (Its the optional one) had stopped working for the rear lighting, they determined the fault- but the part is on back order from Germany, and I will be informed when the part is in. All of this is covered on the ELW, by the way. I mentioned the fuel line fault, which was NOT covered under the warranty, but was addressed at no cost to me.

So quick paragraph on that. The Becker Map Pilot Module is listed at $475 sealed in box on eBay, or $600 if you buy it from Mercedes. The overhead console for a Metris I couldn't find, but for a Sprinter its $372.50. The install for both of them is I think negligible, so figure an hour ($150). The rear door latch assembly is $204, and figure an hour labor for the latch, so $354. I won't count the body work. So I got about $1326.50 worth of repair work on my $3200 warranty already, and I've only been out of the standard warranty for 9000 miles, with 75k left to go. I admit that some of those issues are things you wouldn't care that much if you didn't fix (nothing was actually nonfunctional in a disabling way, besides perhaps the light defeat switch if you leave doors on your van open for extended periods, although I could manually turn the lights off).

I was provided with a 2017 GLC300 4-Matic with reasonable specification during the term of this service. I dropped my car off on Thursday the 9th at 7:45 AM, and picked it up on Thursday the 16th at 4:30 PM. The GLC300 had 114 miles when I drove off with it, and ~1450 miles when I returned it. I am waiting for them to call me and tell me they are never ever giving me a loaner car again (I think I'm joking). I did find out that officially they do not regularly give loaner cars to Metris/Sprinter owners (I didn't know this), and have been providing me one because I have been servicing my cars there for 15 years. Among the reasons for this is that early on in their Sprinter carrying days they did do so, and found out that they were being used for work purposes (e.g. placing heavy ladders inside a brand new C-class). I do understand their point.

Although I wish they did what Devon does to that end (They take high-ish mileage Sprinter trades and use them as work-van loaners).

Overall, I didn't particularly care for the GLC. It gave me an appreciation for the Metris' infotainment system, which while lacking a few features, is much easier to use and has a much more user-friendly navigation system with easier-to-read map graphics (this despite the fact that the Metris has a 5.4" screen and the GLC has an 8.3" screen). I also found it a bit cramped. It did, however, feel like a Mercedes should, although it road worse than the Metris, it handled way better (this is not a complaint about the 10" taller, 19" longer, 750lb-heavier Metris) and was a lot faster. I am not fond of MBs new interior control layout, since most things take at least one extra step to accomplish. The steering wheel drove me nuts, because it is EXACTLY the same steering wheel, except the left arrow is a home button, the right arrow did something speech related (never did figure that out) and the "ok" button was now a "home" button. And I could figure out nothing wrong with using the current layout and controls for exactly the same functions. But hey.

Glad to have my car back, less glad to be nearly a grand poorer.

·
Registered
939 Posts
That steering wheel layout! God, I hate it. It's just not intuitive, especially after using ours (which has been the same for years)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts