Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been beat to death, but didn’t see it readily so here goes-
2016 with original battery. South Florida, hot a **** most of the year, recommendations on replacement battery. Best bang for the buck, AND is there a way to prevent having to reset stuff due to power outage during battery change?

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Unless you have a phenomenal number of miles on your vehicle I wouldn’t be considering a replacement battery at this point. Generally I would be using VARTA or Bosch, however.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My experience with batteries is that they lose capacity...and sometimes out-right fail after 3 years.
So it makes sense to change it out before it fails as a matter of preventive maintenance.
Most modern batteries are sealed-top, maintenance free. Buy the best your budget will allow!
As for losing anything, you could use one of those cigarette lighter-plug contraptions that supplies voltage, however my 2018 Metris cig-outlet is only active when ignition is on.
Alternately, you could use a small-battery-connected-cord with alligator clips clipped to the battery cable ends of the battery you are replacing.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Your experience with batteries are probably not based on modern quality Absorbent Glass Matt (AGM) batteries like that used on the Metris. They are considerably more expensive than traditional flooded lead-acid batteries, but also last quite a bit longer.

My van has 4 years, six months of service, over 119k miles. It is possible the dealer might suggest a battery replacement at my 120k B-service, but they haven’t said word one about it up to this point, and it has been serviced at the dealer every 15k miles since new. While I trust my dealer implicitly (I have used them for 18 years and a variety of mostly old and decrepit Mercedes vehicles) to never charge me for something that isn’t needed, I am sure that if they felt there was a reasonable justification for replacing my battery before now, they would have offered it.

My van still starts every time right away without a hint of voltage drop when the battery is being used to power accessories... so I suggest you revise your assumptions about battery life.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Greeenmanedlion, you may be right.
One vehicle who's battery failed was a 2015 Chrysler T&C, the vehicle I replaced with my Metris.
My wife's 2009 F150 battery failed shortly thereafter. Both batteries has stickers showing them just over the 3yr mark.
I agree that battery technology is evolving just like everything else in this world. Electric vehicles struggle to go over 300 miles, but I believe one day battery and electric motor technology will give 2 or 3fold of present day results.
Still, old-school thinking persists. Regardless of 6k & 10K oil change claims, I still change my oil/filter every 3k, too!

·
Registered
913 Posts
My batteries and the rest of the van have functioned flawlessly, and, knowing my God as a bit of a prankster, will continue to do so until at least December 15, 2025, when the 7/120 ELW expires. FYI, I called the dealer the other day because I noticed the electronic copy of my purchase contract said the ELW was 72 months/120. First, the dealer finance guy argued based on the current MB ELWs, which don't match the 7/120 iin years or mileage. He was nice enough. I told him I was planning a trip and I needed a copy of the warranty. Botta bing botta boom, he emails me the official form MB ELW from 12/15/2018 when the vehicle arrived at the dealer. It's 7/120, but I'm beginning to doubt whether it will matter as I just turned:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts