Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual doesn't say much about it, and doesn't indicate how to activate it. Anyone know how to do this?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Trust me, if you have it you know it, and so do your neighbors.
It sits inside the left rear pillar. There's a red wire and a black wire. Which can I cut without setting off the alarm?

·
Registered
179 Posts
It may be a requirement for his work vehicle so while he may not "want" it, he may have to have it. I don't believe you can shut it off without adding a switch, but according to page 122 in the manual:

To reduce the volume of the warning tone: engage reverse gear twice in quick succession.
The warning tone is now quieter.
The warning tone sounds at a normal volume by default. The volume of the warning tone has to be reduced each time you engage reverse gear if necessary.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I was just trying to figure out if it's a standard feature. If it's an option, then I guess mine doesn't have it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
To reduce the volume of the warning tone: engage reverse gear twice in quick succession.
Except once again the manual is incomplete. You actually have to engage reverse, allow one beep at full volume, engage neutral, then quickly re-engage reverse to reduce the volume. Took two phone conversations and two dealer visits to find someone who was adequately trained in that voodoo dance to teach me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It sits inside the left rear pillar.
I've tried to find mine and I don't see anything. I know I have one because it has stopped working. I've looked inside and outside for anything that might resemble a backup alarm but I couldn't find anything. I'm just too busy to get it in to the dealer to get it fixed.

·
Registered
151 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I need to find out which wire for back up alarm and cut ASAP. It came with the build I have and I don't need it. Wonder if MB service Dept. will do this? Did anyone have any luck with this?

·
Registered
83 Posts
You may not need to cut any wires, or take it in to service. My backup alarm died today at 9 mo / 13,400miles. It is sooo nice, and quiet now. The only time I really liked it was in parking lots to scare people out of my way >:D

·
Registered
481 Posts
Should have a on/off switch? I thought there was a certain Reverse/ press brake motion to use when you want to silence the backup alarm, say, when you're backing out of the driveway very early in the morning to not disturb neighbors?

·
Registered
83 Posts
You have to engage reverse let it beep once at full volume, move to neutral then back to reverse. After all that it is not as loud, but the first beep is enough to wake the neighbors. They should have added an on off feature in the convenience settings.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I don't think switches to shut those off are normal. My Ford had jury rigged one. Which was nice because I didn't like waking up the whole bloody hotel (I was living in a hotel at the time) waking up when I left for the flea market at 5 am.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can see why they don't have that feature in the convenience settings, for employees always leaving it disabled. Maybe they could have an administrator password, or business hrs setting to shut the **** thing up haha. It does pay attention to the date/time.... I know cause it is following our old daylight savings schedule, and changing the time on me. I let service know that the schedule was wrong, and of course they hadn't heard of that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So was anyone able to disable the alarm without taking it to MB?
Guys, it's not hard. Seriously it's a 15 minute job. I suppose if you're not a mechanical type, maybe twice that. You need a t-40 bit, and a zip tie. Open the back drivers side door. Just below the hinge, behind the bumper cover is the horn.

Remove the 2 bolts holding the vertical cover. Pull the upper cover back and out of the way. There's a plastic body panel rivet holding the upper and lower bumper covers together. Pull that rivet out.

You will have complete access to the horn. Unplug the horn. Wire tie the bitter ends to the horn, just so they don't drop out of the bottom.

Put the bumper cover back on. I used a bit of blue loctite on the fasteners. Seriously took 15 minutes. Don't go paying someone for this!

·
Registered
15 Posts
5 Minute Job

With a little patience I was able to do this in 5 minutes without tools. I could see the wires coming off the top of the alarm by looking down into the space between the plastic panel and the body. My fingers just fit into this space and I was able to snag the wires and get the wire connector up above the plastic panel where I could easily disconnect it. :smile:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts