Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody.
when i was buying my cargo van . i opted out of the back up camera option which i really regret now. the reason i opted out was it comes with another package about 1300 more. same thing with the cruise control even though i missed out some options i was fine with the good deal i got. but driving a metris cargo van with no back up camera is really getting old on me. anyone here installed aftermarket backup camera or have the oem installed at the dealer after delivery of there van . cost estimate will be greatly appricated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did the same thing for reasons that I wanted a roof mounted camera so I can see more. You can get what you need from AAMPglobal and echomaster. Between the two sources, they will have what you are looking for. I am ordering their 4 camera set, which will provide me with front, rear, and two side cameras. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went with Mid-City Engineering for the backup camera kit and installed it myself. Less than $400.00 and a couple of hours. Great support at Mid-City also if you get in a spot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So, is it correct that for this unit the rather antiquated-looking "media" display currently on my Metris becomes the display for the backup camera?

The display actually suits my needs fine as is but I was having a hard time imagining a camera image on it.

Also, does it have decent visibility at night?

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you fish around I did the Mid City engineering kit and have some pictures of the disassembly under aftermarket backup camera on this forum

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am considering replacing the head unit with an aftermarket one that is backup camera ready. If I do so will that eliminate the need for the Mid City programmer/interface unit?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought the Rand McNally - Wireless Backup Camera. $80 on sale. I have an old phone I use for the monitor. Always on. Wide angle lens covers a good deal of the blind spot while traveling.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you have an after-market Garmin navigation system like I have, you can buy a backup camera and transmitter from Garmin that works with your Garmin screen. It wires in to your backup light so every time you shift into reverse you get the rear view on screen automatically. One con: the screen resolution is relatively low so the view can take some getting used to. But it works well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am considering replacing the head unit with an aftermarket one that is backup camera ready. If I do so will that eliminate the need for the Mid City programmer/interface unit?
I had a kenwood head unit installed with backup camera but there was a intermittent delay anywhere from 0 to 30 seconds of the camera coming on after putting metris in reverse. The installer ordered a harness/ module from Mid City which corrected the delay.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
You should not need any adapter from mid city. If you need a trigger for the reverse there should be more than one way to get it other than canbus. I don't disagree that an adapter would work only that there are less expensive options.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Before the reverse module was installed if there was a delay of the camera coming on I would simply press the menu button on head unit which is constant on for backup camera.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
If a person is installing an aftermarket camera it would be wise to install a cable from the camera to the head unit that has a trigger wire included. They are around 6 bucks on Amazon etc. You then connect the trigger to the reverse light and the trigger on the head unit. If needed you can add a relay. When I go to the trouble to run a camera wire I typically run two either as a backup or running a second camera with a different angle.

If there was a wiring diagram readily available there may be a way to find the relay for the reverse near the head unit to tap a trigger. I just haven't seen one. Disappointing that a person cant get a workshop manual for the van.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
Looks like you need to turn the camera. The distance lines are upside down. I am sure that was a fair amount of work. I like the location. I'm sure you get a better view up that high.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts