Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone doing this?

If yes, what are you using? I am not finding any MB trim for this anywhere. What would be the coolest stuff to use? I don't mind it being black, since I have the white cargo van with black bumpers. I have ding phobia:grin:

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
You can get invisible shield on the side panels. I have it on my Cayenne. While it doesn't protect against dents it does an awesome job preventing chips and scratches from light door activity. Not exactly cheap though. On the plus side you really can't see it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My van got a ding on one of the sliders, it's a very thin veritcal line of about 2", the first week we had it! I bought this from Amazon but haven't used it yet.I'll let you know the results...

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Yoohe-Paintless-Dent-Repair-Tools/dp/B01LXHDI1M/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1512218962&sr=1-6&keywords=dent+repair+kit[/ame]

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
My van got a ding on one of the sliders, it's a very thin veritcal line of about 2", the first week we had it! I bought this from Amazon but haven't used it yet.I'll let you know the results...

https://www.amazon.com/Yoohe-Paintl...id=1512218962&sr=1-6&keywords=dent+repair+kit
If you haven't done it before I would recommend that you take it to a shop that does paintless repair. A good shop works like magic and its really not that expensive in easy to reach places. You can very easily make things worse. Don't take it personally. Paintless repair is a skill and the shops have professional tools. It takes some practice and experience.

That first ding sure hurts. My wife's car is like a magnet. She can park it way out in the parking lot with no cars around and come back with cars parked close on either side with a ding. Makes no sense. Once a year she takes it to the paintlesss place and they do what they can.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I gotta be honest, I don’t like dings, obviously, but I find my stress level goes down once I get one; I got my first one a few days after purchase, I drove too close to a market table and dragged it along the door. There was a scrape, that I had taken care of, but it also deformed the sliding door ever so slightly. You can only tell by angling the reflection.

My wife said to me, well, you christened it. I was very embarrassed; I did it at a market I was clearing out some sitting inventory; I used to do that market in a Isuzu truck that was about two feet wider and 8 feet longer.

But since then I just let it ride unless it breaks the paint. It’s a car; I plan on driving it several decades. If I stress over every little scratch anc ding... I mean I am hyper tensive already.

I am amazed by people who do protective film and long term rust inhibition procedures on leased cars. By the time that makes a difference, the car is someone else’s problem.

Now, I have what is percieved as a new Mercedes- at least in my rundown neughborhood. But in 10 years, it’ll just be an old van.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
I'm the same as you. That first ding is painful and then you can relax a bit. Its much worse when it was your project car after just being painted, but it still stings on a new car.

The film is worth is on the front of a car/van if you can get it on there before you get any damage. Just replace it at around the 5 year point regardless of how it looks. Any longer and it can be difficult to remove. Not impossible, just more effort and time is money. I also do it behind the door handles to protect against ring and key scratches over time.

Yes, doubt I would do it on a leased car unless I thought I might buy it in the end.

If you have the film where you get a dent it can save your paint from the related scratches so you can do paintless dent repair without any scratches etc. Makes a lot of sense on a higher end car. Less sense as you come down the price point. You also have to consider the daily environment for the car. High density areas vs living in the open spaces have different risk level.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My wife backed into our garage shelving at 1100 miles and dented the plastic bumper...hid it with expel film.

Some jack wagon leta cart go in a parking lot, slamming it into the rear door, huge dent that will have to get PDR to fix it....and so it goes

Reactions: Lala

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you haven't done it before I would recommend that you take it to a shop that does paintless repair. A good shop works like magic and its really not that expensive in easy to reach places. You can very easily make things worse. Don't take it personally. Paintless repair is a skill and the shops have professional tools. It takes some practice and experience.

That first ding sure hurts. My wife's car is like a magnet. She can park it way out in the parking lot with no cars around and come back with cars parked close on either side with a ding. Makes no sense. Once a year she takes it to the paintlesss place and they do what they can.

You're right, especially in my case, I'm am not very talented when it comes to crafts and handwork.

I have one stupid dent in my car's bumper that I did backing up in my garage with child's car seat that was on the floor, I would probably try it there first as it needs repair anyways, If it goes well I'll give it a shot. At the end it may need to go to the shop anyways, rigth?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used this from TAP Plastic

Anyone doing this?

If yes, what are you using? I am not finding any MB trim for this anywhere. What would be the coolest stuff to use? I don't mind it being black, since I have the white cargo van with black bumpers. I have ding phobia:grin:
I picked up this stuff at my local TAP Plastic store. It's made for trim on outdoor signs but has worked well so far (had it on through the hot summer months. It's cheap; I think I paid about $20 for a piece long enough for both front doors.

As stock, it comes on a long roll and has like a VHB sticky gum inside the channel so it's ready to go after cleaning the edge of your door. Cuts easily with razor. I recommend making miter joints for any hard angles such as the one around the gas cover door. There is enough of a gap between the doors to allow for application on one side. toughest part is the area right around handle... lots of tight curves make it roll a bit. I would cut a joint here if I was applying it again.

In the end, the look creates a bit too much contrast for my taste by calling too much attention lines better left unaccented. But, it does the trick.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Funnily enough, I miss my Ford van, which I bought for $1500, in this area. Hint for success in life: do NOT park to close to a beat up Ford Econoline if you don’t want customized bodywork.

It was pre dented, had a solid steel bumper for moving market tables and encroaching racks, and when somebody kited their tent and it landed on my van, I could just laugh at the broken tent, rather than being upset. Actually, everyone had junk like that, and banging vehicles was not uncommon, and greated with a shrug.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
I picked up this stuff at my local TAP Plastic store. It's made for trim on outdoor signs but has worked well so far (had it on through the hot summer months. It's cheap; I think I paid about $20 for a piece long enough for both front doors.
You can get the same sort of thing purpose built in clear and white. Amazon has some. Pliable with a strip of double stick inside.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My first ding on my cargo van came with a broken tail light it hurt. I replaced the tail ASAP but the ding is still there as much as I hate dings there no point in me getting it fix bc in NYC dings pop up everyday.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pounce and Waterjerome: what is the stuff called, so that I can search for it?
Lala,

This is the stuff I used. https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_rods_tubes_shapes/edge_guard/608
They can cut it and sell it to length for you in the store if you are near one.

It was intended to be used for edging on outdoor yard signs. It's still holding up (no discoloration, cracking or coming unstuck for the record. Hope you found something that is working out.

·
Registered
196 Posts
dings, scratch ? How about a hailstorm ? Owned my metris 3 days, 178 miles on it. Insurance telling me "you are in good hands" they paid only $4980.00 for the damage. Had it parked next to my home in a driveway with a garage tent from Costco inside the Metris, ready to build as temporary garage :)
But on the other hand, I wanted popup roof so part of the money that the insurance paid to fix the roof I used to cover the cost of the roof cut out for the popup :) Now my Metris with all the dings is hail prove :) Well I could get more dings :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts