Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,204 Posts
Yes, one does have to care about low temp. If your new battery has low temp charge cutoff you could leave the switch on. That said I have tested a couple of batteries that said they had low temp charge cutoff, but didn't. I put them in the freezer and they still allowed charge. Ymmv.

·
Registered
2020 Metris
14 Posts
Yep I’m pretty sure that’s probably the main reason in put a switch for the Victron, and even though my new battery say it has low temp cutoff, “when tested by Will Prowse” it did seem to work like it should, but this way I can guarantee I won’t charge the battery till my van is warm. But there are folks on the interweb that say not to float or keep the lifepo4 batteries at 100% all the time? I’m no expert but this article seemed informative, but you know what they say about how much to believe about stuff you read?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,204 Posts
Backing the max voltage off the cells more less eliminates the concern about keeping a battery topped off. I have two 100ah lifepo4 batteries that allow me to set cell voltage min and max.

It might be years before we see any real world data. I'm a big fan of solutions you can set and forget. Who wants to worry about their battery when they are enjoying their time off? Not me. I just want it to work.

My newest battery doesn't allow cell voltage adjustment, but it has internal heat, 150ah and fits in the stock location under the drivers seat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
@zeph what do you want to power with an aux battery? What are your power requirements?

This will help us make some recommendations.
I guess I had the wrong idea. I thought the aux battery was powered by the alternator, but it sounds like that’s not the case.

I wanted to run a cooler and a kettle from it, but if the battery can’t be charged from the engine, I’m thinking maybe solar and 120V is the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,204 Posts
@zeph

The factory aux battery is charged by the alternator. Same is true when we use a dc/DC charger to charge an aux battery that is not matching the stock agm starter battery. Many of us want to use lifepo4 battery chemistry because you get more ah in the same size and they can last many more years. My 150ah battery has 3 times the amount of usable watts than the stock agm. In order to mix battery types you need a dc/DC charger because lifepo4 wants 14.6v to charge.

If you mean a 12v kettle, no problem.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
426 Posts
Charged by the altenator when the engine is running along with the starter battery. When the engine is off it is isolated from the main battery to keep it from being discharges with the auxiliary battery..

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,204 Posts
Charged by the altenator when the engine is running along with the starter battery. When the engine is off it is isolated from the main battery to keep it from being discharges with the auxiliary battery..
But. Not exactly. We got some valuable insight from @Gottlieb not long ago that there is a time delay and voltage sensor trigger on the aux battery relay.

We are taking this thread in many directions so apologies to the op.

My recommendation is to use a dc/DC charger and bypass the relay for any serious aux battery usage. Not atypical to need power when stopped within the first 75 minutes. Also, I'm maybe not totally clear what could trigger the relay to close and reset the time when parked. Good thing it's not really an issue when you delete it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So if I add an aux battery now, is the wiring already there? The wiring to charge it from the alternator, I mean. And how would you run stuff of the aux?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,204 Posts
So if I add an aux battery now, is the wiring already there? The wiring to charge it from the alternator, I mean. And how would you run stuff of the aux?
Sorry, if your van did not come with the aux battery under the driver's seat your van would not have the wiring or battery hold down bracket under the drivers seat.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts