Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just recently picked up my 2021 Cargo 135. Really enjoying it and going slowly through some minor upgrades.

I know from the build sheet it came with Audio 30 unit with bluetooth and carplay. The carplay must be plugged into the specified usb. I can get carplay to work properly for a few minutes, then it loses connection. Sometimes plugging the phone back in will work, but then it will again lose connection again, repeating over and over.

I have tried with/without bluetooth, Apple branded and 3rd party cables, resetting the Audio 30 unit and phone yet nothing prevents it from constantly disconnecting. Another issue is sometimes when I plug the phone in to the usb cord i get a message on the screen saying "There was a problem initializing the apple device".

Has anyone else run into this issue? Any solutions aside from driving back to the dealership and dealing with service?

Thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd love to throw in an after market unit, finding one on the retail market is pretty tough right now!

I have not tried another iphone, but that's an excellent idea. Thanks Pounce.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
647 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Maybe that’s the same issue @Chriszee814 is having, when he said it doesn’t work.

Honest mistake. ( Note. The new 2021 radio with touch screen & CarPlay is Audio 40. Audio 30 is the preceding one without touch, SD card on top and lots of buttons on the right. )

Personally, I would make a video recording or two of the issue, I would give it a try with my wife’s phone ( a few years newer ), record it if need be, then give my a phone factory reset ( after making a full backup ) and if that does not solve it, I will let the dealer and MB sort this out.

I would not pay extra for a third party radio system, for something MB / Pioneer didn’t get quite right. Maybe the Radio unit needs a firmware upgrade, new version of CarPlay, … to keep up with the software updates on the phone. If they need to rip the Radio out and put a newer one in, to make that happen, so be it.

Frustrating and time consuming issue, especially if you live hours away from a busy dealer. But that’s where I have done a couple things long distance via video, photo and email or thumb drive. YouTube private video would be an option too, to get over the space constraints. A motivated service advisor helps too.

·
Registered
2021 Getaway
25 Posts
I have a 2021 Passenger Getaway upfit. The Apple CarPlay works great with my iPhone 12.... until I get a phone call and answer and/or disconnect the phone. Upon hang up or reconnection, no more Apple CarPlay connection. After turning the car off and back on, it works again. I haven't hooked up another phone and haven't checked if the IOS update helps yet.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
647 Posts
With three people in three days chiming in about issues with the Audio 30 system in their 2021, MB will have some homework to do, in terms of getting these head units firmware updated, when it starts raining complaints at dealerships.

It would be good to know which iPhone model and which iOS version people have, and what their specific issue is.
Maybe there's a pattern.

All these support iOS 14.6, which includes the series 6, 7 and 8.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Maybe that’s the same issue @Chriszee814 is having, when he said it doesn’t work.

Note. The new 2021 radio with touch screen & CarPlay is Audio 40. Audio 30 is the preceding one without touch, SD card on top and lots of buttons on the right.

Personally, I would make a video recording or two of the issue, I would give it a try with my wife’s phone ( a few years newer ), record it if need be, then give my a phone factory reset ( after making a full backup ) and if that does not solve it, I will let the dealer and MB sort this out.

I would not pay extra for a third party radio system, for something MB / Pioneer didn’t get quite right. Maybe the Radio unit needs a firmware upgrade, new version of CarPlay, … to keep up with the software updates on the phone. If they need to rip the Radio out and put a newer one in, to make that happen, so be it.

Frustrating and time consuming issue, especially if you live hours away from a busy dealer. But that’s where I have done a couple things long distance via video, photo and email or thumb drive. YouTube private video would be an option too, to get over the space constraints. A motivated service advisor helps too.
Isn't Audio 40 with navigation and Audio 30 without? Says on my build sheet I have Audio 30...

I will make a video of it thanks for the tip icerabbit.

Also I am running iphone 12 with iOS 14.6. MB stereo software version 2.4

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
647 Posts
Isn't Audio 40 with navigation and Audio 30 without? Says on my build sheet I have Audio 30...
Yes! Correct! Mea culpa! I forgot about that distinction.
Maybe due to too much dreaming about the 40 model?
My vin checks says I have a 15 (not 30).
At least it is not a 10.
Edited my reply above.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, after trying another iphone with newly purchased cables the audio 30 unit did not give the same issues as I was experiencing.

I spent the time to backup my iphone, do a complete factory reset, and use the backup to get the phone going again. with the new cables I did not experience any issues during an hour long drive today. not an ideal approach but so far it seems to be working. hesitant to say it's resolved but will know when I get it out on a four hour drive in a few weeks.

@Chriszee814 did you try to do a complete erase/reset of your phone to see if that worked with your audio 40 unit?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2021 Passenger Getaway upfit. The Apple CarPlay works great with my iPhone 12.... until I get a phone call and answer and/or disconnect the phone. Upon hang up or reconnection, no more Apple CarPlay connection. After turning the car off and back on, it works again. I haven't hooked up another phone and haven't checked if the IOS update helps yet.
Same issue here with Audio 40. Except turning car off/on does not always resolve issue. Have tried with and without Bluetooth enabled. When this occurs, we lose ALL audio sources. Will not find any radio stations, if I add a Bluetooth device (other phone), it will appear to connect but not recognize/play audio. Super frustrating when I we lose ability to see our iPhone route. Worked great first few hours of today’s trip until received a phone call.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey all,

Just recently picked up my 2021 Cargo 135. Really enjoying it and going slowly through some minor upgrades.

I know from the build sheet it came with Audio 30 unit with bluetooth and carplay. The carplay must be plugged into the specified usb. I can get carplay to work properly for a few minutes, then it loses connection. Sometimes plugging the phone back in will work, but then it will again lose connection again, repeating over and over.

I have tried with/without bluetooth, Apple branded and 3rd party cables, resetting the Audio 30 unit and phone yet nothing prevents it from constantly disconnecting. Another issue is sometimes when I plug the phone in to the usb cord i get a message on the screen saying "There was a problem initializing the apple device".

Has anyone else run into this issue? Any solutions aside from driving back to the dealership and dealing with service?

Thanks, Kevin
This is a known issue for Mercedes, I have a new Audio 40 and it does the same but Mercedes are not remotely interested. I was told carplay is only compatible with iphone 7 or prior so if you have a newer phone you are stuffed, said I should have read the compatibility guide but I did and it says nothing of the sort. Then Mercedes point you to a different web server page that does tell you. Only work with a 4/5 year old phone is absolutely disgraceful for Mercedes.

·
Registered
2021 passenger
5 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks, Kevin
I posted this on another thread, but I just picked my 2021 passenger van up today from getting some warranty work including ar Play issues. There is a current software update that fixed my unit. Not a single drop or malfunction the entire way home, heaven.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I posted this on another thread, but I just picked my 2021 passenger van up today from getting some warranty work including ar Play issues. There is a current software update that fixed my unit. Not a single drop or malfunction the entire way home, heaven.
Hi
Thanks for letting us know, what phone are you using and do you the software/firmware revision you now have.
john

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 70 plate 447 crew van with audio 30 went in today because CarPlay drops out regularly same issues as above doesn’t carry on music after calls drops out freezes on iPhone 12plus , it had latest update on both phone and van (twice to double check )at mb dealer still no joy, new cables and all works fine in my other car play vehicles resettled everything started again , they where playing innocent like they hadn’t heard of it then as I got more persistent magically started suggesting there was other vans with issues , I’m still in first couple of weeks of ownership so I’m being fairly persistent to get this sorted or compensated to cover costs of changing unit out … does anybody know of anyone that has a perfectly working audio 30 /40?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, my Audio 40 is in today with exactly the same issue. Going back tomorrow but not expecting much without legal action. Mercedes have told some people to go and put in an after market unit and they will pay but the list of customers is getting bigger and bigger. Mercedes Vito is not even on the Apple approved use list for carplay.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts