Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With most of the difficult projects completed some cabinetry and detail work remain.

There are many solutions for incorporating a table but none I ‘ve seen, with the exception of the Marco Polo example, appealed to me. Storage options for the tabletop were not ideal. The obvious solution was to utilize the large unused space on the cargo van sliding door. After installing the sliding window and covering the lower access panel with fabric I came up with a solution that works in this space. There are only two of us using this van so the table at this location, between the swivel passenger seat and bench seat works perfectly. From conception to completion took a bit of doing but was worth the effort.

The space available between the door and vehicle body, as the door is operated, varies from plenty of room to very tight. By using a ½ “ plywood table top, a Reimo sliding table rail set, and a fabricated solution for the leg attachment, it all came together. Fortunately I have a good supply of cabinet grade plywood from a local cabinet manufactures free pile.

The answer to a swivel hinge attachment allowing versatility of removal and sliding adjustment was the Reimo table rail set. The rail attaches to the door with minimal intrusion into the limited space available. As matter of fact I had to fabricate ¼“ spacers to move the rail out a bit so the table would lie flat against the door when down. Like most of this stuff I can’t find locally so I ordered the Reimo parts from Just Kampers, a VW camper supplier, located in England. Ridiculous price with shipping involved but it was what I needed. I ordered an additional rail, since shipping was the same, for installation on the driver side cabinetry. I can then move the tabletop to either side if needed. Interesting note. You’re never sure what will happen when ordering overseas and this order was no exception. The package arrived in Washington State the second day (36 hour) after ordering. That’s two days faster than normal packages delivery from Amazon and I live close to Seattle. A surprise in a good way.

https://www.justkampers.com/table-sliding-rail-set.html

The shape of the table is by design. The recessed cuts at the top allow the table to slide forward past the door handle on one side, and, with my 270 degree rear door option, clear the barn door magnetic stop protrusion on the vehicle side when operating the door. With the table in the down position and slid forward into the notch provided by the rubber doorstop, the table is secure. For added security a thumb operated hose clamp installed on the sliding rail prohibits the table from moving when traveling.

I would have loved to incorporate the folding leg into the table but space would not permit. I had to do minor fabrication to the leg with some old boat table hardware. The leg snaps in and removes easily and stores conveniently under the seat. Overall quite pleased. The table stores out to the way and when in use can slide on the rail back and forth if needed. The table locks onto the rail yet can be easily removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Beautiful work and an elegant solution. Thanks for sharing all the details.

·
Registered
76 Posts
interesting... that looks to me like a passenger interior cabin but with the cargo rails installed.
Correct or is this a 100% Cargo conversion?
I also notice a swivel passenger seat. whose kit?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
interesting... that looks to me like a passenger interior cabin but with the cargo rails installed.
Correct or is this a 100% Cargo conversion?
I also notice a swivel passenger seat. whose kit?
The van is 100% 2016 Cargo with everything constructed from an empty unit. From previous posts on this forum I've laid out much of my conversion process. One of the first: http://www.metrisforum.com/forum/409-metris-builds-conversions/5122-beginning-conversion-progress.html

Search swivel seat and many on this site offer insite on their experience. Here is one of my posts relating to the seat base.

Installed a passenger side RIB swivel today without any issues. Nice to have a product arrive with all the necessary fasteners and to complete the installation without needing modifications. A Very well built product. Ordered from Travois located in Vancouver BC last week and it arrived yesterday. Cost including shipping to Washington State $350 using PayPal. Very happy with their service and I plan on visiting their store in the spring. Since the swivel is less than an inch thick overall the wiring harness, run up through the center hole, is long enough to allow the seat to function but just. Would have been nice to have another inch or two. Strategically placed zip ties eliminate pressure on the plugs during operation. Swivel operation requires cranking the seat back upright a bit, moving the seat forward, and, because I have armrests, opening the passenger door a bit to allow clearance for the arm rest during rotation. Once facing rearward the seat can be adjusted as required. Rear facing seat is great for opening up the van space for various uses. I am slow and methodical so installation took me a little over an hour. A good part of the time was messing with the battery. There are two ways to orient the positive terminal allowing the red plastic protective cover to be installed. Do it the wrong way and the battery will not go back in the box. Of course I did it the wrong way first and it took me longer than it should have to figure it out.
You can search my username for additional projects or search in general for conversion topics to see what others are doing. RansomRidge has a good example of a conversion in progress http://www.metrisforum.com/forum/409-metris-builds-conversions/7490-camper-conversion-update-ceiling-walls-floor-complete.html

The bad news is that in converting a cargo van there is no interior behind the driver compartment to work with. The good news is there is no interior behind the driver compartment to get in the way. The challenge for me is to get the final product to look at least as good as a Winnebago conversion. Marco Pole is way beyond me since its impossible to find the components and extrusions for fabrication. I'd sure buy one if I could.

·
Registered
111 Posts
With most of the difficult projects completed some cabinetry and detail work remain.

There are many solutions for incorporating a table but none I ‘ve seen, with the exception of the Marco Polo example, appealed to me. Storage options for the tabletop were not ideal. The obvious solution was to utilize the large unused space on the cargo van sliding door. After installing the sliding window and covering the lower access panel with fabric I came up with a solution that works in this space. There are only two of us using this van so the table at this location, between the swivel passenger seat and bench seat works perfectly. From conception to completion took a bit of doing but was worth the effort.

The space available between the door and vehicle body, as the door is operated, varies from plenty of room to very tight. By using a ½ “ plywood table top, a Reimo sliding table rail set, and a fabricated solution for the leg attachment, it all came together. Fortunately I have a good supply of cabinet grade plywood from a local cabinet manufactures free pile.

The answer to a swivel hinge attachment allowing versatility of removal and sliding adjustment was the Reimo table rail set. The rail attaches to the door with minimal intrusion into the limited space available. As matter of fact I had to fabricate ¼“ spacers to move the rail out a bit so the table would lie flat against the door when down. Like most of this stuff I can’t find locally so I ordered the Reimo parts from Just Kampers, a VW camper supplier, located in England. Ridiculous price with shipping involved but it was what I needed. I ordered an additional rail, since shipping was the same, for installation on the driver side cabinetry. I can then move the tabletop to either side if needed. Interesting note. You’re never sure what will happen when ordering overseas and this order was no exception. The package arrived in Washington State the second day (36 hour) after ordering. That’s two days faster than normal packages delivery from Amazon and I live close to Seattle. A surprise in a good way.

https://www.justkampers.com/table-sliding-rail-set.html

The shape of the table is by design. The recessed cuts at the top allow the table to slide forward past the door handle on one side, and, with my 270 degree rear door option, clear the barn door magnetic stop protrusion on the vehicle side when operating the door. With the table in the down position and slid forward into the notch provided by the rubber doorstop, the table is secure. For added security a thumb operated hose clamp installed on the sliding rail prohibits the table from moving when traveling.

I would have loved to incorporate the folding leg into the table but space would not permit. I had to do minor fabrication to the leg with some old boat table hardware. The leg snaps in and removes easily and stores conveniently under the seat. Overall quite pleased. The table stores out to the way and when in use can slide on the rail back and forth if needed. The table locks onto the rail yet can be easily removed.
cool! , I love the sleek design of the table fitting into the door. I actually bought the same table track and adjustable leg when I was in Germany. Brought it back in suitcase together with a Thule Bike rack that I had to dismantle completely;) Its cray what the UK supplier charges for it...haven't installed mine yet tho. will go onto a furniture pod.

·
Registered
557 Posts
@mikit - I just purchased the rail set and table leg (https://www.justkampers.com/table-sliding-rail-set.html) based on the excellent idea, execution, and post here. Can you please share the dimensions (length x width) of the 1/2" ply table top you built?

I have the passenger van, so I'm not sure it will work with the sliding door trim, but I'll give it a go.

Ditto but I have a cargo 135 -- your post pushed me to order just like you did. Also, do you mind including photos of the mount for the leg underneath, as I gather it has to be removable due to clearance.? Thanks!

Reactions: brow

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The table top dimensions are 30" wide and 27" deep. In order to clear the sliding door handle the top left has a recess cut of 8" across and 2" down. On the top right side the cut was 7" across and 2" down in order to clear, when the slider is opened, the rubber stop for the 270 degree door that pertrudes from the side of the vehicle. If you don't have 270 deg doors this cutout may not be needed but it does allow the table to slide further rearward when in use. The table top is the largest that would fit in the space and allow the slider to work without restriction. The table top actually takes up a lot of room when in use so If I were doing it again I may make it a little smaller. Maybe 24" in depth and a bit narrower. For our cargo van the table is quite functional however there is no clearance to spare when opening the slider door. Anything thicker than 1/2" would have rubbed. Not sure about the trim thickness on a passenger van. May want to try duct taping a sheet of cardboard on the slider to see if all clears when operating.

The leg I purchased was of course designed to screw on the bottom of the table top but I needed to have it removable so the top would store flush. At the time I could not find a removable leg suitable for my installation so I bought this one. The method I came up with works well but most would not have the pile of used marine hardware I've collected over many decades. I found a Perko stainless table bracket set that worked with some fiddling. Basically a formed stainless plate that attaches to the table bottom and an L bracket that bolts to the leg. It works very well but if I had to buy this new I would have maybe thought of some other way as they're quite expensive. https://www.go2marine.com/product/22733F/perko-table-brackets-wall-mounted-replacement-wall-plates.html#list-of-products Probably less on eBay if available.
I am sure there are alternative ways to do it but this is what I came up with.

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Did you discard the "center" spring loaded piece that came with the Reimo Adjustable sliding rail kit? If not, how the HECK do you use it?

Reactions: brow

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That piece was not required for my installation. Discarded it. I used a thumb adjustable hose clamp on the tube rail to lock the table forward for storage. Clamp is easily undone and moved to the rear, out of the way, when using the table. It's the small yellow clamp on the rail shown in my photos.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I ended up doing a lagun table instead of using the sliding rail set. Not enough clearance to use this set with the passenger van. So I have a brand new set:
Table Sliding Rail Set - J27698
I'll sell for $55 including shipping (US 48 States). Message me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts