Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not a Metris I am speaking of and given I am a member of this board, I figure I'd ask here.

About to buy a preowned 2017 GLS450. A few things caught my attention and I am told the car has never been in an accident. But after inspecting my Metris for fit and finish I can't see how a GLS450 would be this sloppy. What do you think is the truth? I can't believe the paint is peeling on the front grill and the door has a gap that doesn't sit flushed with the front quarter panel.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
The paint I can believe, especially since the GLS is an American assembled vehicle. That door gap is another matter. Even Tuscaloosa wouldn't release a car that wouldn't pass 80s GM quality standards.

I'd take a pass. And if I were looking at a 2017 S-class variant, I'd go with the Sedan. It isn't just class leading, it's class owning.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Wouldin't a CarFax clue you in? That would be my starting point, but not only one.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Carfax is the biggest crock of crap. I've wrecked cars and then ran carfax's on them. Didn't show up.

If you have a VIN, PM me and I can look it up in our system (MB) and see if its been fixed internally.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Carfax is a great resource. It just has to be used correctly. It establishes problems; it does not disclaim them. A PPI is the only way to evaluate a used car anyway. But, it an accident shows up on Carfax you don't have to spend the money for a PPI.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Actually, I have to appologize; I don't know what came over me.

DO NOT BUY THAT CAR.

It doesn't matter why that fender alignment makes a Moskvitch look like a first gen LS400. There a number of reasons why that could happen; all of them are bad news. It could be the car was in some kind of mishap. That would be bad. It is unlikely, but possible, that car came out of Tuscaloosa like that. That would be worse- it means the QC people were on an acid trip, the machines were calibrated by the Mad Hatter that run, and the workforce was drunk.

Whichever, don't buy a car with any significant body alignment issues. Togliatti has better alignment than that on their worst days.

Groucho may have said that in India the ears are smaller and in Alabama the Tuscaloosa, but that's just absurd.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Given the lack of communication from the dealership I will look for another. I am just annoyed and pissed that I wasted 6 hours, it was 2 hours round trip and they couldn't even give me the courtesy to follow up with me. I've purchased two cars from their sister company (Acura) in the past and this experience is my 2nd worst experience from a dealership. Mind you, this will be my 6th car in the past 5 years, so I have plenty of experience with dealerships. Thanks all for following up, and by the way here is the VIN: 4JGDF6EE9HA854350 RobbMeex. Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just spoke with an ex-sales. She said the dealers are getting used vehicles dirt cheap from customers. That's why they could afford to let the car sit on the lot for a very long time without being worried for selling it. Chop the listed price as much as you can next time when you buy a used car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts