Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to weld brackets, racks, etc directly onto the inside of a back door. Will this burn the paint on the outside?
I just bought a Lincoln welder, gonna weld all sorts of stuff in my project... gotta learn to weld first, though...

·
Registered
899 Posts
I don't know if I'd learn on my Metris. I bought a bunch of sheet stock at Home Depot to get the feel of the center cut shears before I cut in my CRL windows.

Reactions: Jeffrey Brown

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Welding will burn the paint, and welding painted metal is generally not best practices. I would follow focus’s advice about buying some scrap metal to learn your welding basics on.

Since you are welding on the inside, I would then sand off the paint from where you are welding, weld the racks on, and then liberally cover the area with paint- or better yet, bedliner. The purpose of the interior paint is to protect the bare metal; covering it with something truly impregnable like bedliner is even better.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
342 Posts
1. You'd probably better to drill holes and bolt, or weld to a plate and bolt it to a reinforced part of the door.
2. Take a course at a community college if you can find one. Good value.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I assume you are talking wire and not stick...nothing heavy enough in the door to stick weld. I would not do either. One thing I would worry about are the various computers onboard and the welder current. I even remove my ecu on my dirt bike when I weld, and it's antiquated.

I would get a rivnut tool and plenty of rivnuts..they are cheap, and in stall steel angle or channel and then weld off of that or bracket off it. I'm ok at welding but I would not want my welding very visible as I'm just not good enough.

Lane

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice.
I’ll be doing no welding on any of the van surfaces. Bolting only. I will do some welding on the metal bed frame that I am fabricating out out of angle iron.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. You'd probably better to drill holes and bolt, or weld to a plate and bolt it to a reinforced part of the door.
2. Take a course at a community college if you can find one. Good value.
You are correct. I just bought some bolts and a used air drill. I wish that I’d bought an air drill 50 years ago.. They are great!
thanks for your response...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts