Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Passenger
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a fan of Michelin Pilot AS4 on smaller cars but am wondering if anyone has some miles on them on a Metris. I'd be on the stock 225/55-17 on OE alloys.

I don't need the high mileage and hard wearing of a Defender, and I do need to get rid of the much maligned stock Hankooks (that are legitimately awful).

I'm looking for a grand touring sedan type of ride quality -- the vehicle's sole, low-mileage purpose is to move a disabled child around town with occasional highway trips.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,320 Posts
Ok so lots of snow is not really a thing. Looking for something cheaper than the Defenders then? I've had pilots. Not my favorite.

I have a set of wheels with CrossClimate 2's. They ride nice. Put them on to drive from OR to GA instead of 19's. Nice in heavy rain and standing water. Look interesting also.

·
Registered
2021 Metris Getaway
30 Posts
I'm a fan of Michelin Pilot AS4 on smaller cars but am wondering if anyone has some miles on them on a Metris. I'd be on the stock 225/55-17 on OE alloys.

I don't need the high mileage and hard wearing of a Defender, and I do need to get rid of the much maligned stock Hankooks (that are legitimately awful).

I'm looking for a grand touring sedan type of ride quality -- the vehicle's sole, low-mileage purpose is to move a disabled child around town with occasional highway trips.
I just put on a set of Michelin X-ICE, studless snow tires, in the stock size. These are "Severe-winter" rating but I put my snow tires on early and take them off late because of our variable climate and difficulty getting into the tire shops when the first surprise snow hits. They are much quieter and a softer ride compared to the stock Bridgestone tire that was on there. I ordered a wheel/tire packages from Tirerack. After reading the horror stories of tire shops jacking up Metris cars improperly, I had them shipped to my local mechanic and had them install them. It might sound a little ridiculous, but if you really have low mileage driving you might consider doing this tire all year round as an additional measure of safety in the rain and cold weather. They do feel "sticky" and would probably wear pretty fast if we did any long highway trips down south.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

·
Registered
2016 Passenger
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so lots of snow is not really a thing. Looking for something cheaper than the Defenders then? I've had pilots. Not my favorite.

I have a set of wheels with CrossClimate 2's. They ride nice. Put them on to drive from OR to GA instead of 19's. Nice in heavy rain and standing water. Look interesting also.
I just put on a set of Michelin X-ICE, studless snow tires, in the stock size. These are "Severe-winter" rating but I put my snow tires on early and take them off late because of our variable climate and difficulty getting into the tire shops when the first surprise snow hits. They are much quieter and a softer ride compared to the stock Bridgestone tire that was on there. I ordered a wheel/tire packages from Tirerack. After reading the horror stories of tire shops jacking up Metris cars improperly, I had them shipped to my local mechanic and had them install them. It might sound a little ridiculous, but if you really have low mileage driving you might consider doing this tire all year round as an additional measure of safety in the rain and cold weather. They do feel "sticky" and would probably wear pretty fast if we did any long highway trips down south.
Thanks for the replies, and after doing some more reading, I'm moving away from the Pilot AS4 since it seems they're not going to do much with respect to smoothing out the ride.

Vredestein Quatrac Pro looks appealing and rates well for ride comfort and low noise. Also has the snowflake rating so seems like it will deliver something along the lines of the smoother snow tire ride that @dickienel suggests (and that I've experienced on another car in the past).

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,097 Posts
As an intermittent tire shopper, it's hard to keep up with Michelin tire models, as some lines are discontinued or morphed into something newer.

The CrossClimates intrigue me. I can understand the how & why etc ... but I guess my mind is still stuck on the traditional 4 - 5 rain channels.

The Vredesteins sound interesting, extra traction in the snow with all those sipes in a traditional tire layout ... but the low expected longevity rating would scare me away. It's hard enough to get tires to last, with heavy SUVs, vans, ...

·
Registered
2016 Passenger
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As an intermittent tire shopper, it's hard to keep up with Michelin tire models, as some lines are discontinued or morphed into something newer.

The CrossClimates intrigue me. I can understand the how & why etc ... but I guess my mind is still stuck on the traditional 4 - 5 rain channels.

The Vredesteins sound interesting, extra traction in the snow with all those sipes in a traditional tire layout ... but the low expected longevity rating would scare me away. It's hard enough to get tires to last, with heavy SUVs, vans, ...
Michelin's customer service person I spoke to recommended Cross Climate 2 or Defender 2 (not LTX), and said they don't view Pilot AS4 as an approved option though it does meet spec. Beyond all those, he was selling me pretty hard on BFG Advatage Control over any of the Michelins. BFG is part of the "Michelin family", apparently.

Agreed about probable low mileage on the Vred Quatrac but with 24K miles on the van over 5 years, I'm not concerned overall. I am a bit concerned about the front outside shoulders getting shredded (as the OE Hanooks have been) but I think that's a realistic chance on anything but Defender LTX or similar hard wearing rubber (which takes me away from a smoother ride quality).

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,320 Posts
Nice. Validates my CrossClimate2 purchase.

Consider what you can buy at Costco etc. I'm pleased with my service there and the often discounts. I use Sam's when Costco refuses to do things like install the tire sensors I bring instead of buying theirs... If you are lucky enough to live in a place with multiple locations some are better than others. I can spot it by watching the guys in the bays. Costco employees are happy enployees. My Costco tire guy is a retired at 50 electrical engineer that works there for kicks and good benefits. Grooves to the music and is never bothered. Loves to do everything perfectly down the the torque wrench.

·
Registered
2021 Metris Full Camper
49 Posts
I have CrossClimate2's on an Audi Q5 and have been very pleased with their performance and sound level in wet/dry and cold/hot conditions on mostly pavement with some dirt/gravel roads. I haven't used them in snow as we put snow tires on for the winter since we live in a very snowy area.

Glad to hear that the CrossClimates work well with the Metris in similar conditions. Given our typical off-road travel with the Metris, we have BFG KO2's (225/65 R17s) on currently and will be switching to studded Nokian Hakkapelliita 10s in late October/early November when the snow starts. After a few "challenging" and frightful experiences with black ice on the Teton Plateau and in the North Cascades, we have opted to go with studs for the winter. The ride quality is great but the noise is, let's say, something one needs to get used to. After an event with the Audi on black ice in the North Cascades where the combination of the electronics/stability systems and the studs saved us from a head-on with an approaching semi, we have opted for studded snows in winter since. We are hopeful that the Nokians will provide sufficient traction and control on the Metris in and around the Northern Rocky Mountains. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Cross your fingers you never lose track of that tech!
The Costco tire center is best in class. I worked one summer as a tire buster at Sears. The Costco shop has excellent procedures in their system (I've watched), and the techs are consistent and careful.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,097 Posts
I have purchased a good number of sets of tires at Sam's ( no Costco anywhere close ), and enjoyed the tire rotation & hazard benefit; but I've also had some installed by the dealer; where they've pretty much matched Sam's or TireRack prices; and then I've let them balance, align, etc. ... because I've been a bit worried about lug and wheel damage. Also because I had an issue one time with road noise, tire wear, balancing, etc At least at the dealership I know they should use the right metric socket, not damage the rims, can align and will road force balance ... and it isn't a back and forth between multiple places.

The CrossClimate looks like it has a newer model, Cross Climate 2. Old ones are discontinued. New ones with better treadwear and mileage. Might like them on the SUV, which is about due for new shoes, ... but they don't have the exact size? Grrrr.

Back to Defender. Also to be discontinued I guess for Defender 2. May not available yet though, it seems, or they forgot about the 2 everywhere?
Set of Defender 2, $110 off via Rebate before 10/4.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I got Michellin cross climate... be carefull with the weight and comfort...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts