Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, second time poster.

I'm pretty sensitive to seat comfort on long drives, the intended mission of the prospective purchase, so thinking the comfort seats are the way to go.

However, this severely limits the used vehicle selection, and eBay seats generally seem to be the base ones which have been removed in a conversion. I'm fine with cloth, warmer in winter, cooler in summer (though harder to keep clean than MB-Tex/leatherette), but this doesn't seem to expand selection much.

Could potentially order new comfort seats, but likely expensive, and ordering may be difficult based on other threads.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The comfort seats, as far as I can tell, are identical to the standard seats, except for the following points:

1) the seat squab is adjustable for tilt
2) the seat base is adjustable for height
3) the headrest is different and adjustable for front to back as well as up and down
4) four way adjustable power lumbar.

If the height, tilt, and lumbar are where you want them to be, I don't think there is any advantage to the comfort seats. Not sure though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I own a MK1 Sprinter. The seats are the best I have ever sat in. MB now charges extra for these seats (with adjustable lumbar, etc). So, I would recommend that you spring for the comfort seats. You won't regret it, especially if you have long drives.
B

·
Registered
86 Posts
I too have this question. In my opinion, one great value of adjustable seating is that you can change it over the course of your drive. It's not that I'm going to find the "perfect" position and leave it there. Instead, I want/need to be able to change my position/angle throughout my drive. I think this helps avoid some of the stiffness and fatigue of long drives.
But I'm here looking for comments about the standard vs upgraded seats. Most of my driving is approx 1hr (or less) but I plan to make many cross country trips, especially with a new "Mattress" (that's how voice rec hears it every time!).

·
Registered
195 Posts
I too have this question. In my opinion, one great value of adjustable seating is that you can change it over the course of your drive. It's not that I'm going to find the "perfect" position and leave it there. Instead, I want/need to be able to change my position/angle throughout my drive. I think this helps avoid some of the stiffness and fatigue of long drives.
But I'm here looking for comments about the standard vs upgraded seats. Most of my driving is approx 1hr (or less) but I plan to make many cross country trips, especially with a new "Mattress" (that's how voice rec hears it every time!).
I agree with your philosophy on adjustable seats. I have no experience with the Metris standard seats. We have the comfort seats and they've been excellent on several trips with drive times of 8 to 12 hours per day.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Interesting that one of the big changes for 2019 is the addition of optional "X28 - Electrically Adjustable Front Seats -- $1,235."

The electric seats require the C08 COLD WEATHER PACKAGE and F68 HEATED AND ELECTRICALLY
ADJUSTABLE EXTERIOR MIRRORS

·
Registered
86 Posts
replace the front seats?

My local dealer told me that "they are not allowed to touch the seats". Does anyone know if it's possible, what it costs and how involved it is to swap out the standard seats for the "comfort" seats? Seeing as the driver comfort package is only around $6-700 more and includes 2 extra keys, it doesn't seem like the seats might cost terribly much...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I recently purchased a 2017 base cargo version after comparing it to competitive mid-size vans. The standard seat, although somewhat firm, was the most comfortable and supportive seat I've had the pleasure of using in some time. My C7 Corvette which boasts numerous adjustment capabilities just doesn't compare.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's great to hear. A basic model without "driver comfort" is really all I can afford. But I have been concerned the basic seats may not be the must comfortable... especially on long trips. Like 5-7 hours of straight driving.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I should preface that I was to have lumbar spinal fusion last year due to disintegrated discs. On two occasions the surgery was cancelled for fear of complications including possible paralysis. Normally when I drive any vehicle the pain becomes pretty intense after about a half hour or so. I have only driven the Metris for a maximum of two hours so far but they have been pain free. I had also given up the idea of any more cross country tours in my future but now I'm rethinking that and have begun a sort of camper conversion of the cargo area towards that end. It doesn't hurt that the Metris has such expansive windows in the cab either, affording views that wouldn't be possible with my Vette. Now,every back is different and it's possible the Metris seats just happen to suit me well. When I did a side by side comparison to the Transit Connect it was night and day with the Ford causing issues in mere minutes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I find the Metris base front seats very comfortable. I've been comfortable during 12 -15 hour driving days. And I have a low back issues - pain and stiffness. I'm pleased with the seats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had my '18 passenger for a few weeks now with base seats. They are on the firm side but extremely comfortable and well designed positioning. I haven't done over and hour yet, but the upright positioning leads me to believe that I'll be all set for long hauls. I'll be doing a 4 hour treck this weekend and give a report..

·
Registered
397 Posts
Mine also has the base seats (with tex material not cloth) and I find them quite comfortable.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I should preface that I was to have lumbar spinal fusion last year due to disintegrated discs. On two occasions the surgery was cancelled for fear of complications including possible paralysis. Normally when I drive any vehicle the pain becomes pretty intense after about a half hour or so. I have only driven the Metris for a maximum of two hours so far but they have been pain free. I had also given up the idea of any more cross country tours in my future but now I'm rethinking that and have begun a sort of camper conversion of the cargo area towards that end. It doesn't hurt that the Metris has such expansive windows in the cab either, affording views that wouldn't be possible with my Vette. Now,every back is different and it's possible the Metris seats just happen to suit me well. When I did a side by side comparison to the Transit Connect it was night and day with the Ford causing issues in mere minutes.
I have 2016 Metris cargo van seats are fine even now with swivels from upfitter Travois Ca., I went on camping trip to Florida from Denver 4200 miles there 2000 miles strait driving back, my spine lower bottom couple disks are grown together, generally it hurts while driving if I don't have lumbar support, before the trip I found in Costco lumbar support pillow made by Samsonite, sale $19.95
I think, now I can't drive with out it, for those with bad back I would highly recommend this "pillow" I have it even in my office chair. (this is not an add, I do not own Costco or Samsonite stocks)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't do without the comfort seats. The adjustability is key to long distance comfort.
I wish someone had told me this before I bought my Metris. I’m a little late in getting to this conversation, but to answer the original question, yes, I am regretting getting the base seats. (I’m curious to see what the OP went with and if they are happy). I have a similar low back problem to some of those mentioned in this thread, fused vertebrae, pain stiffness, need lumbar support. I have tried 4 different pillow/back supports, and none have worked. Also, I LOVE my seat warmers as the heat makes my back feel better, but using a pillow gets in the way of the warmers. I can maybe go 30 minutes driving in my metris before I’m pretty severely uncomfortable, an hour and I’m in pain. Luckily I have a relatively short work commute. But I’ve converted my van to a camper for the purpose of long trips!

I’ve resorted to opening the back panel of the driver seat and placing a 2x3 piece of wood wrapped in foam at the right height to push the lumbar part of the seat forward a bit. (On a side note, now I can’t figure out how to get the panel back on completely... if anyone has tips on that I’d be appreciative!) This is working just ok. Much better than nothing. But it’s not adjustable. At this point I’d pay a good amount for a seat with adjustable lumbar.

Also the headrest! Being that I have long hair, it puts my head too far forward if I have my hair in a ponytail or bun in back. It’s seriously annoying to have something constantly bumping the back of your head while you are trying to drive. Would be great to be able to adjust it.

My dealer also told me they won’t touch the seats. I’ve looked for replacement seats to do it myself, but all seem to be the rear seats for sale, not a driver seat.

Anyone have any ideas for a solution? Somewhere to order the comfort seats? I love my van. It’s such a bummer to be uncomfortable when I drive it. It’s my only regret in regard to my purchase.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm sure if you find the right parts supplier/dealer and give them the money they want for it they'd order you the higher end comfort version seat to install.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts