Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't want a hitch rack. So, enter the Fiamma carry-bike rack. The guy that does the Nissan NV200 Recon Campers uses it on the Nissan and I believe that it would do the trick for me. But, I haven't seen anything on it for the cargo door Metris. I thought that I would ask you guys about it before bugging the Nissan guy. I did find old Vito photos and info, but that is with the rear hatch and not the cargo doors. It is also easy to find them on Sprinters. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
That would be great!...I would be interested to know that myself...but while the NV-200 is smaller, its right side rear door (they are approx. a 40/60 split) looks wider than my Metris cargo door(?). Regards,
Gary

·
Registered
111 Posts
I really don't want a hitch rack. So, enter the Fiamma carry-bike rack. The guy that does the Nissan NV200 Recon Campers uses it on the Nissan and I believe that it would do the trick for me. But, I haven't seen anything on it for the cargo door Metris. I thought that I would ask you guys about it before bugging the Nissan guy. I did find old Vito photos and info, but that is with the rear hatch and not the cargo doors. It is also easy to find them on Sprinters. Thanks!

Dont have the fiama but brought over a used Thule Bike rack for the Vito w447 . Was a bit of a pain to get it over here on my last trip , had to take it completely apart , needed an extra suitcase for everything and paid another $90 for over size luggage because the one U shaped metal pipe exceeded the max measurements... But still saved a lot compare to a new one, especially when shipped to the US from Europe. Mercedes offers a newer more fancy version which is quite expensive and I think only available in Europe.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-B...ppe-Vito-V-Klasse-BR447/252994496728?var=null

But the Thule is for years the go to Bike rack for Vito's, VW vans etc. (with hatch) they make them basically for almost every van and car available . Check out the EBay UK and DE sites and you will find a lot of options. Just a matter on how to get them over here:(

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thule-Rear...214166&hash=item2134eb7365:g:FpkAAOSwTM5YuDDb
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Thule-Fahrr...568844?hash=item4674e0520c:g:Q~AAAOSwm4NbG9Ww

·
Registered
98 Posts
I bought a hitch rack some time ago. Never used it because it interferes with opening the tailgate. Funny that this thread popped up. I've been looking for a non-hitch bike rack for the Metris with a platform for the wheels.

The Thule Raceway 2 Platform rack looks interesting, but the reviews are horrible on Amazon. It looks fairly complicated too.

My favorite is the PaulChen rack for the Metris. It will be expensive with shipping. But it's just what I've been looking for in a bike rack.

Reactions: Lala2

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great rack suggestions that I have not seen anywhere else. They won't work for me since I have cargo doors but please load up the thread so that we'll have a spot for info on bike racks. I am starting to investigate full size folding mountain bike options as well, i.e. Montague, which might end up costing the same as a rack and keep the stealth thing going on my budget camper van.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have tried to get the Fiamma shipped with no luck. So I took a chance on the Thule Raceway Platform rack. I found one cheap on Craigslist, which made it much easier to try it out. And I have to say, I like it a lot, though there are some quirks with the locks that I'm not a fan of. But I think it's a solid option for those looking for a platform rack without using the hitch.

I took it for a test spin today and it was rock solid going over bumps. The backup camara's view isn't obstructed. I do recommend using some tape (helicopter tape preferably) under the areas that contact the van if you want to really protect the paint.

I love the Yakima 2-way with the Yakima Backswing that I have. Opening the liftgate with the bicycle loaded was snap. But they just take up too much space behind the vehicle for one bicycle, almost 4 feet compared to 2.

Attachments

Reactions: Lala2

·
Registered
25 Posts
An option that I have been using is the Hollywood Racks over the top rack. I had it for my previous suv that had a spoiler. They have a 2 or 3 bike version. Amazon has the best price new or they show up on eBay for about half price but usually just local pick up. One in San Diego and one in New Jersey that I see now. If I had a hitch, I would maybe splurge on a 1up rack. 1up and hitch is a lot more money but would be convenient. The hollywood rack doesn't take long to put on except all the extra straps. It can attach in several ways on the top portion. I attach to the top rails but it can also go inside the hatch/doors.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry, I guess you were looking for a tray rack and one that would swing out with the door. I don't know how much space the folding bikes take up. If you are going the route of carrying inside, I see a lot of cyclists that use a fork mount in their vans. Maybe one that has a tray or something under the wheels to protect from mud etc..

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the options!
I ended up doing a platform bed using 3 boards and an ikea toy chest. The boards sit on a bracket fastened to the existing 8m screw spots on the side. I replaced the mtb pedals with mks detachable pedals and this allows me to throw 2 bikes and all our outdoor junk under the bed. I’ll revisit the bike rack need when the space no longer works for us. We still have space for the camco toilet, fridge etc. in the middle/front and with the swivel seats, it works. I appreciate all of the options for when the time comes!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lala2 Sounds like an interesting build. I am in the process of doing a bed but I can't imagine how bikes could fit underneath.
Do you have some photos you can share?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I posted one photo (under my tag lala with lost password) at https://www.metrisforum.com/forum/?tfr=1#/topics/7282?page=3
You will have to use your imagination because we moved the mattress 90 degrees with the head at the rear doors, to get more length, needing the ikea trovast toy chest in front with an added shelf for more bed frame. But, you can see how much room there is underneath that bed in the photo. All that room is open for bikes etc..We do take the front bike tires off and lay them in sideways. That maybe a “no deal” for some people. We are relatively small so the now turned bed works great for us. If you look to see where the side rear M8 or bracket mounts are, between the panels, lay your bikes in there, and see if it will even work for you. I may have another photo with the turned mattress and toy chest but not the back with the bikes. Your bikes will probably be different sizes than ours anyway.

·
Registered
2016 Metris Cargo
14 Posts
I also want to put a two tray bike rack on the back of my 2016 Metris Cargo van with the spit "Barn Doors".

We recently rented a Nissan NV200 outfitted by RECON that had a Fiamma rack that would carry two bikes and you could just swing the door open sideways with the two bikes still in the tray. Worked great. We decided to purchase the Metris because we thought the NV200 was just too small but I would like to get that rack mounted on our Metris.

Anybody out there had any luck getting a tray style bike rack mounted on "Barn Doors"?

I really don't want to go to a trailer hitch mount, don't want to lift the bikes up on the roof, and we don't have enough room inside the van for two bikes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a lift gate rather than the split cargo rear doors, but I did instal a Fiamma two well bike rack on it. However it was the VW T4 model - bent to fit the Metris.

Details and pics are here (scroll half way down - project update):

1 - 13 of 13 Posts