Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

This forum has been a wealth of knowledge. First time poster and I think I managed to delete this post accidentally once, so apologies for any confusion / complications.

I’ve been looking into options and everyone’s creative ideas for seating in a getaway- I like the fact that the pop top is factory installed and current availability at dealers.

I’m trying to see if there is a way to have - middle row of seating (either bench or captain) and the reimo bed. Would use the middle on a routine weekly basis and take out for camping. In the reimo literature for europe it looks like there is a captains chair (A400) that would sit in front of the bed. However, it looks like this would require 4 rails as it would not sit on the “outside” rails that come with the getaway? Not sure if there are any other options.

The Feb ‘20 outside interview (feels like a looong time ago) with the peace vans owner indicated a middle seat might be in the works, but not sure if that ever happened.

so I guess I have a couple scenarios to look into if even feasible:

(1) buy the getaway as is (2 outside grizzly rails, I think) and explore if there is an aftermarket way to fit middle row seats (probably with addition of another rail). Is adding a rail to the already “converted” floor in the getaway even possible?

(2) buy the 4 rail option getaway (z5u option) after finding an upfitter will put in the reimo bed and something removable for a middle row. Any leads on who might do this, instead of full conversion of standard passenger or cargo?

(3) no possible option because the reimo bed leaves no room for middle seats and then exploring the 4th rail option and using for Vito seats and fold over bed.

Any insight or experience is appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great. Sounds like you have done your homework.

What is your objective? How many people do you need to seat in the van rear?
Thanks for quick reply! I’ve got two kids 3 and 6. Unlikely to have a third, but I can see value for the future of being able to shuttle them and couple friends or grandparents around during the week or during non road trip use.

Middle seating likely won’t be a deal breaker, but if I were designing an ideal set up I’d like the option to have them. I understand that the reimo bed would be a bear to try and remove and I don’t have need for full “cargo” mode, so I’m fine with that staying in.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,031 Posts
Thanks for quick reply! I’ve got two kids 3 and 6. Unlikely to have a third, but I can see value for the future of being able to shuttle them and couple friends or grandparents around during the week or during non road trip use.

Middle seating likely won’t be a deal breaker, but if I were designing an ideal set up I’d like the option to have them. I understand that the reimo bed would be a bear to try and remove and I don’t have need for full “cargo” mode, so I’m fine with that staying in.
So I had the same questions of PV. You have probably read some of my posts. I settled on getting a poptop, euro sliding rails and Vito seats. No seatbed.

Without going into a lot of detail I'd recommend that you either get the seat/bed for a weekender and make due with 3 seating positions or get a poptop and get vito seats for up to 8 seats total.

The issue with adding a seat to the back with the Reimo seat is that you have to take it out to deploy the bed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much do you want for the details??? ;)

But seriously, appreciate the insight. I think you are saying it’s unrealistic because the middle seat removal would require removing the behemoth rear seat/bed?

If that’s not the case, it seems that the process of taking out the middle seats woild not be enough of an inconvenience to abandon the concept.

Pounce, I did see many of your posts on your seat set up and rationale. I think what got my curiosity going is whether there is any other possibilities once the “wide” grizzly rails are installed in a Getaway model from the factory (or all 4 rails?). If I recall, you set up started as a passenger van with no continuous rails, grizzly, euro, or otherwise.

I’m still left wondering if there are options once you have the converted floor with two rails? Or 4 rails? Ideally, there would be something for the 2 wide rail scenario, but it looks to this novice that a 4 rail set up would really open possibilities of various middle row seating options in the reimo catalog or elsewhere.

Like I said, I could be missing the point that the rear seat / bed has to be pulled to pull the middle row in any scenario - apologies if so.

in any event, I’ll double down on the page to
@harleysitner. Just curious about the evolution and barriers to the middle row concept. Huge thanks for helping getting these vans to the US market.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,031 Posts
No, you don't have to take the Reimo bed/seat out with a second row. What I meant was you cannot deploy the bed with the A400 seat in the van. You have to take it out of the van and set it outside to deploy the bed. You can probably only have one.

Motor vehicle Leg Automotive design Comfort Mode of transport

It's normal and easy to have all sorts of ideas on how you will use the van and push the limits. Don't stop. Many of your questions have been asked because the vans are expensive when upfitted. It's normal to want the swiss army knife of a van when you spend 80k+.

So if you want a Reimo weekender and you want to add beyond the 3 across seating you have few options. If you buy a full upfit with cabinets you get the short 3 across seat bed and potentially the option for the a400. I have not seen one in the states. Not saying there isn't one, but I haven't seen one. The upfitters go to a lot of effort and trouble to make the seats safe for obvious reasons. I'm not excited about putting my kid in a seat attached to a single rail. In theory if everything is mounted well maybe it's not an issue.

To have more rails is just going to be drama to get an upfitter who is used to doing the two basic installs to do something different. If this was something cosmetic etc I'm sure more people would be willing, but it's a safety issue. If PV started offering this single seat I know they would go through the trouble to be completely sure it was safe. I'm just not seeing the market for adding the 4th seat option.

I'm more or less just being realistic. I want you to buy a van. They are great with small kids.

I agree with you on 4 rails being the most flexible. There have been several threads on the topic. I own 4 rails and still need to install the 4th. Let us know if you find an MB partner upfitter willing to set you up with the rails needed and get you an a400 seat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roger that on the safety!

I guess the open question I have is if there is still an ability to go to 3 or 4 rails with the “factory” getaway floor. Maybe even a short rail just in the front?

I know you and others have gone to 3 or 4 rails starting with the passenger version.

I would think you could remove the plank floor and install the third rail (understand the fourth is in a tricky location to install) just the same as if it were the capet passenger floor. (Economic sense is another question). But I would love to try and confirm that. Even if it’s just a feeling of security knowing I could do it a few years down the road.

I’ll let you know what I figure out and eventually go with.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,031 Posts
Roger that on the safety!

I guess the open question I have is if there is still an ability to go to 3 or 4 rails with the “factory” getaway floor. Maybe even a short rail just in the front?
Sure. It's technically possible. Just getting someone to do it for you might take some effort. Since the upfitters use jigs to mount the rails you might be able to talk one into adding the inboard rail behind the driver. That would probably leverage the two typical jigs. Basically installing both the weekender rail locations and the full conversion rail location. I could be wrong.

See the image I posted in this thread:

I know you and others have gone to 3 or 4 rails starting with the passenger version.

I would think you could remove the plank floor and install the third rail (understand the fourth is in a tricky location to install) just the same as if it were the capet passenger floor. (Economic sense is another question). But I would love to try and confirm that. Even if it’s just a feeling of security knowing I could do it a few years down the road.

I’ll let you know what I figure out and eventually go with.
It's easy to get hung up on these kinds of things prior to ownership. We often think some feature if a car or house is incredibly important going into the deal only to find later that it was insignificant.

Yes, it's all technically possible to mount all rail options. 2 Reimo rails, 3 Reimo rails, 4 Reimo rails, 4 Vito Rails etc. It's all something you can change with money. It's a little tricky to remove the rails used by the Reimo seats because they are bonded in addition to bolted. Vito rails are bolted. The 22's are coming without rails and have the cups for the seating locations. Might not impact being able to install Vito rails after the fact.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FYI - Not sure it is the exact process but I think the link below shows the install of the variotech grizzly rail system on which the 3000 seat / bed rides on. Solid, solid install. What caught my eye are: (1) comments that the decorative floor covering (wood / vinyl between rails) can be removed and replaced as needed and (2) what look to be additional mounting locations on the “base” (east / west) plates that would seem to support the technical possibility of adding another north / south rail down the road.

Posting in case others are interested as I don’t think I’ve seen the process detailed this way before.

Maybe a reimo rep / dealer / experienced upfitter knows the answer of the system can support multiple north / south rails - if I get an answer I’ll update.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
936 Posts
I took that message to mean that, you ( or dealers / up fitters ) will now be able to special order an incomplete passenger vehicle with 4 rails for further upfit.
Not that the 22 models will coming with be cups & hooks instead of rails.
I don't see why MB would shoot themselves in the foot and further complicate things. 4 rails involves no factory change. Simply bringing an extra option that exists for other markets to the US. Personally, I would hope they get enough feedback on this to make 4 rails and extra seating an option for NA, as a completed retail vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,031 Posts
I took that message to mean that, you ( or dealers / up fitters ) will now be able to special order an incomplete passenger vehicle with 4 rails for further upfit.
Not that the 22 models will coming with be cups & hooks instead of rails.
I don't see why MB would shoot themselves in the foot and further complicate things. 4 rails involves no factory change. Simply bringing an extra option that exists for other markets to the US. Personally, I would hope they get enough feedback on this to make 4 rails and extra seating an option for NA, as a completed retail vehicle.
The 4 rail incomplete van has been in the DOG for several years. It just now says it's for Driverge. Makes total sense. Driverge builds the accessibility vans and the Getaways. The 4 rail option gets them the mounting points inboard on the driver side and no need to put seats in the landfill.

I get the change. I don't like it, but I get it. The cup or pocket mounts are a long existing mounting system across models. The rails in the Metris are weird and over complicated for what they do. These pocket mounts probably mount directly to the existing bolt patterns. You skip all the need for the aluminum extrusion and fussing with the steel inner shuttles. Just bolt the pockets down. Also, the carpet panel is no longer unwieldy. You have pockets cut in it. Further, for passengers there is less to catch your feet on. The carpet experience is better for passengers. Even further, if you have ever seen a pax van where the seats have been moved in and out you can see the gauges that happen in the aluminum from that process. I'm guessing the change has 80% to do with manufacturing and assembly/reassembly than end user comfort, but I think the pockets are nicer for passengers.

I just wish they would include the 4th rail mounting points on pax vans under the carpet like they seem to do in sprinters with rear seats. But, the few of us that want to do this kind of thing don't really make a market.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
936 Posts
Aha! The more you know!
I never knew this was an existing option, and now becoming more limited from the sounds of it.

I had the " cups " on other vans. Did not like them. It really limits the options to re-position seats and benches, unless they include rails in the seat base. Loved sliding and repositioning the rear bench as needed on my one van. Really hoping MB doesn't go the cup route as a cost cutting measure ... as a personal preference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts