Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Until MB USA decides that the Metris isn’t an embarrassment to their premium customers buying $60-90K SUVs, I don’t see any particular progress on the Metris despite the unique solution it provides.

Mine is in for a fuel issue for the third time. The van stalls shortly after starting it and then throws a check engine code. I've looked, again, at something to replace it with, but I cannot find something that better fits my needs (although if the van can’t meet the basic requirement of moving under its own power without the engine dying, then all else is irrelevant)

The cargo van is perfect sized - larger than the small cargo vans like nv200 & transit connect. It's almost larger inside than the low roof NV, but that beast is 20ft long! The Transit series are nice vans, but the smallest is still bigger than the Metris and has a less headroom.

The metris has a 5000lb tow rating. 2500lb inside cargo. I have no idea how MB extracts such peppy behavior from a two liter, 4 banger engine. The turning radius is nice. It's narrower and easier to park than the Transit, Sprinter, Promaster.

But, yet, MB USA is unwilling to put any push behind the van because they know their high wealth E, S, and G class customers wouldn’t be caught dead in the same service line as a crappy VAN driven by a blue collar worker.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Currently the demand for sprinter vans is outstripping the supply as Mercedes wasn’t prepared for it, especially the 4x4 that people want for camper conversions.

I think a similar increase in demand could happen for the Metris as more people see them or learn about them. They just aren’t marketed or common yet so people don’t know they even exist.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Until MB USA decides that the Metris isn’t an embarrassment to their premium customers buying $60-90K SUVs, I don’t see any particular progress on the Metris despite the unique solution it provides.

Mine is in for a fuel issue for the third time. The van stalls shortly after starting it and then throws a check engine code. I've looked, again, at something to replace it with, but I cannot find something that better fits my needs (although if the van can’t meet the basic requirement of moving under its own power without the engine dying, then all else is irrelevant)

The cargo van is perfect sized - larger than the small cargo vans like nv200 & transit connect. It's almost larger inside than the low roof NV, but that beast is 20ft long! The Transit series are nice vans, but the smallest is still bigger than the Metris and has a less headroom.

The metris has a 5000lb tow rating. 2500lb inside cargo. I have no idea how MB extracts such peppy behavior from a two liter, 4 banger engine. The turning radius is nice. It's narrower and easier to park than the Transit, Sprinter, Promaster.

But, yet, MB USA is unwilling to put any push behind the van because they know their high wealth E, S, and G class customers wouldn’t be caught dead in the same service line as a crappy VAN driven by a blue collar worker.
There's nothing else like it available in this market, but I wish it were made and sold by almost any other company.

·
Registered
397 Posts

The dealer I got my van from (Mercedes of Grand Blanc MI) has the Metris right in their regular MB showroom along with everything else. In fact they had a Red passenger metris (fully loaded) sitting right next to a recently sold AMG GT-S Coupe :surprise: on the show floor inside.

Most dealers these days are overly fancy, doesn't really matter what they are selling. Should see the Toyota and Honda dealers near me....they're vast sprawling palaces!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I doubt that AWD is coming. A 4x4 set up like the sprinter, but a simple AWD system isn’t offered on the Vito so i doubt it would be offered here. The V-class is offered with AWD so it is feasible.

However it is also superfluous. The ESP and near 50/50 weight distribution makes this a beast in the snow.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Good snow tires can be equally effective in snow to 4Matic with average tires. I've driven a RWD MB in the snow for the last 14 years her in Michigan and and have never gotten stuck with good snow tires. And those cars didn't even have ESP!

I am going to put a spare set of rims with good snow tires on my van for the winter.

Reactions: Metris?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts