Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find a spot in the cargo van that I can push a powerstrip plug through. There is some kind of trash bag covered ?insulation? jammed in every nook and cranny. So any potential spot is hard for me to see. I am tempted to pull it all out but I don't think that I would be able to re-jammify. I am assuming that stuff is doing me some good. Any spots look good to you guys?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yes, the foam filled bags are factory installed- presumably for insulation and noise deadening.

I drilled a hole in the side of the van closest to where my electrical equipment is located. But I know for those intent on a stealthy look that's not acceptable.

·
Registered
483 Posts
you trying to have the shore inlet plug NEMA 5-15 on the outside of the van and snaking AC cabling inside to sidewall interior?

Reactions: Lala

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thought was to snake a cord through the floor so that the plug is just under and accessible to connect an extension cord to it outside.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
My thought was to snake a cord through the floor so that the plug is just under and accessible to connect an extension cord to it outside.
What did you think of the marine plugs? You can also just decide how big of a hole you need for the extension cord plug to fit through and find a rubber plug or make a plug to fit the hole. I think the area in front of and behind the wheel well has some hope.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that Pounce! I'm planning a trip to the RV/marine store once I get my title mailed to me. I'll ask them and keep those spots in mind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How to get power into van

Look at any RV or camper on the left side and you will see a approx. 3 1/2 inch round white port wiht a round waterproof folding door for the cord to come out.
I plan to install one in my Metris when it arrives ( soon, I hope!)
Just use a hole saw - make a hole that fits the unit. They are about 3 inches deep and can hold both in and out cord ends if you have small plug ends.
A RV shop should be able to do the job in a half hour if you don't have the equipment.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that I found the magic hole!

Behind the wheel well, drivers's side, there is a lower hole ~1" diameter. It seems to be covered by space followed by the black plastic bumper. I'm going to put a magnet wand down the hole and have a friend hold a piece of metal to find the perfect bumper spot. I am okay with drilling a hole in a plastic bumper. Yay?!

I'll check Harbor Freight(then Amazon) for a 15amp Marinco inlet and fix it to the bumper hooked up to a short 12gauge extension cord. I'll be using an extension cord with an inline GFCI to connect the Marinco inlet to shore power.

Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
Do you really mean "bumper" as in the thing that you may bump or someone else may bump? Personally, I'd either get right with putting it in the side panel in the typical location or literally putting it under the van. As in you would have to get down on your hands and knees to reach under, undo the cap and then plug something in. If you really mean bumper I'd try to discourage you, but its certainly your choice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pounce: thank you for the questions. It is on the drivers side where the plastic black wraps around ~1ft from the back. Because it is an extension of black plastic bumper, I incorrectly referred to it as the bumper. Do you think I should be concerned about that side spot on the plastic, since it is so close to the back? Thanks!

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
There's a small piece right below the tail light (sorry I tried but can't find a way to load the picture). Appear to be independent from the rest of the van body. I think it could be a good place for a power outlet or other connection from outside - if screwing up with the drill or having remorse later on, we will only need to replace that piece instead of patching up a hole on the body. I have a passenger van and can't quite see behind the panels. Can anyone with cargo van see from inside whether there's anything special below the tail light housing?

·
Registered
292 Posts
There's a small piece right below the tail light (sorry I tried but can't find a way to load the picture). Appear to be independent from the rest of the van body. I think it could be a good place for a power outlet or other connection from outside - if screwing up with the drill or having remorse later on, we will only need to replace that piece instead of patching up a hole on the body. I have a passenger van and can't quite see behind the panels. Can anyone with cargo van see from inside whether there's anything special below the tail light housing?
Yes, that piece is fairly easy to remove- 2 screws and 3 or 4 plastic tabs to unlatch. It would be a very stealthy place to hide a cord with the male end dangling down.... Oh that doesn't sound so good... :surprise:
Anyhow, the electrical cord would hang down under the bumper like a head bolt or engine heater cord.

I removed the little trim panel on the drivers side to put in a vent for my propane locker. The black rubber gasket with the hole in in the lower part of the first two pictures is where the hose will come out.

The 3rd and 4th pics show the part removed.

The last pic is an attempt to show that you will need to drill through 2 layers of sheet metal. The outer layer is the exterior of the van, which at that point is hidden below that trim piece. There is another layer of sheet metal between the exterior and interior layers of sheet metal. That corner of my van is now insulated and finished off. I had to drill through the interior wall (layer) of sheet metal for the vent on my propane locker.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used to think that step drills were some sort of method to avoid buying the right size bit.

After using them, I now realize that they make really nice, high quality round holes. Much nicer than I could achieve with a hole saw.

Not sure if mine were anything special, they are very decent ones that I purchased from McMaster.

They aren't cheap, but they work.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts