Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard anything that could be considered at least a "credible rumor" about any changes we might see in the 2018 Metris?

I don't expect that we will see the V-Class, or the Marco Polo camper (especially given the camper conversions coming on the market), or a diesel engine, or AWD anytime soon here in the U.S. and Canada but...

As a former Vanagon and Eurovan owner, I would buy the Metris in a heartbeat if MB offered it with the folding seats, the 3rd row bed option, and accessory table offered in comparable trim levels in Australia, Europe, and... ****, everywhere but here in North America! I can live with RWD, and I can live with having to replace the entertainment system because they don't offer any better option, but for me the current fixed "bus seats" are a non-starter. And, from what I've read on this website and elsewhere, the 2nd and 3rd row seat "problem" is the most common complaint about the passenger van. And, unlike bringing in the V-class or a diesel engine -- which are big, complicated decisions with lots of downstream costs -- offering us the same seats that are already offered elsewhere (in the same fabric pattern we get now) isn't all that complicated and wouldn't mean lots of downstream costs.

I've thought about an Explorer conversion van... IMHO the low roof model ordered with the right color interior, without the stitched logos everywhere, without chrome wheels, and without any custom paint or extra body cladding actually looks pretty nice and I've come close to taking a trip to see one in the flesh... That said, if I do go that route and then MB brings out folding seats etc. the following year, that might well trigger something in my brain and lead to a trip to the van factory/offices in South Carolina looking for some payback! :mad:

So... anyone heard anything? :laugh:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm mainly hoping for 4MATIC as my main "want", second I would say better seating choices (seating number / able folding), then power seating with memory.

Some things they have spread over different packages should be standard. Example: Cold Weather Package should be full heated seats, side mirrors, rear defrost, steering wheel, washer fluid and auxillery heater.

Reactions: brendanm43

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Personally I think the auxiliary heater should be standard, and I think heated steering wheels are cool and all... but I wouldn't pay for it.

If you want a great solution, Majestic's #1548 split (suede) deer thinsulate lined driving glove is the ultimate in durable and warm winter glove. I used to sell them- I appropriated myself a half dozen and after 6 years of use, including loading and unloading a box truck for two winters, I am still on pair one (although some of it is now worn to the grain and it has a few holes).

It's not a dress glove- it's a work glove. I used to sell them for $25 a pair in my store. I bet you can get them cheaper now.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was suggesting that would be an ideal "cold weather" package. All in one shot, not four items spread about four other packages. Like my complaint was in pricing the Metris, the options add up very quickly, much of which should be standard, like the trip computer or cruise.

Full heated seats would mean your lower back gets some too, not just your butt.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Oh wow. Looking at the button it just shows the bottom cushion. My B200 is only bottom with same button.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
It does show that, but I can assure you, as a person who wears thin short sleeve shirts while driving (year round- when I say my heat works in 5 minutes, I mean I am sphitzing like a golem after 6 and often turn it from 60 to "cool max" around then) I can tell you the back gets quite warm. My wife uses it as a pain reliever for her back.

By the by- I keep my house thermostat set at 60f in the winter, so if you think I'm nuts, you're right. That is a compromise with my wife and my plumber who insists that temperatures ~52 which I consider ideal can result in pipe bursts.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've thought about an Explorer conversion van...
However equipped. that "Explorer" would be apples to oranges to the Metris. Just finished a 3-hour highway trip after working a conference webinar all day and 'hauled ass' back home. Such a fun van to drive spiritedly.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would like to see all wheel drive and a mist setting for the wipers. I hate it when the wipers go off when there isn't enough rain on the windshield.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Rear vent windows, LED lighting for all exterior and a center console.

·
Registered
271 Posts
All these wishes are making me want to wait a bit longer. lol

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
That is certainly not going to happen. It's too late for that; CarPlay and Android Auto make it irrelevant. You are much more likely to see that.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Any news or info on this? I've tried searching Google, but nothing.

I'll definitely be going for the 2018 or try to find a used FULLY loaded 2017. This will be my last vehicle, so I want to make it count for the long haul. Plus I really don't want to give up my W245 just yet, unless I turn it into a barn find. :nerd:

1 - 20 of 91 Posts