Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the Metris available Anti-Theft Security Alarm? I have been trying to find info on it and there is nothing. Just trying to find out what exactly it is and how it works, ie with the key fob? Also, can anyone confirm if there is keyless entry on the Metris Passenger. I am reading conflicting reviews and can't make out if there is or isnt keyless entry. Thanks in advance.

Kingy

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
It's an integrated alarm that operates with the keyfob. Keyless? I mean it has remote unlock. The "key" is the same electronic unit Mercedes has used since the late 90s built by Huf that uses an electronic signal rather than a key pattern to confirm comparability. It's insanely secure, car thieves use Dolly's to roll them away rather than trying to mess with it.

Push button start and that rather odd push a button on the door handle thing is not available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2016 Metris with ATA (Anti Theft Alarm)?

I just purchased a 2016 Metris Passenger van and am trying to figure out if it has a functioning anti theft alarm, which would be a standard feature on every other new vehicle. Our Mercedes van salesman could not really explain, and there is limited information on line other than this thread, and the Metris owners manual.

Page 66 of the manual discusses the ATA feature, in addition to the engine demobilizer, so I could assume that one, both, or none of those features were provided on the Metris we purchased.

What I do know is that the vehicle "chirps" when the doors are closed and locked using the remote.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
The antitheft alarm (a siren that blares and lights that blink upon unauthorized access) is an option at ~$350. It will accomplish little, since smash and grab thieves don't really care about them. Also everyone assumes a Benz has one.

Antitheft alarms are optional on every commercial van, don't ask me why. Standard on cars, yes, commercial vans, no. You can buy an alarm that integrates with the Metris's CANBUS.

The ignition imobilizer is standard. It is nearly undefeatable because a dealer has to program a key to work with a specific vehicle with both the vehicle and the key physically present. It works via a triple handshake encryption between the key and the engines ECU. It can't be hot wired, and can not be moved without the key present. Unless you use wheel dollies, anyway, which some thieves have resorted to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Greenmanedlion and flacaproductions - The engine immobilizer alone should be good enough to keep the van safely in my driveway, and the chirping when locking is hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Physical bollards are nice if they are applicable to your cirumstances, which for most of us, for most circumstances, they are not. They are also not particularly useful for most types of thefts in the US. Most car-type robberies with cars keyed like the Metris involve smashing wIndows and stealing stuff from inside; bollards don’t really help. They multi-camera security set up I have around the outside and inside of my house (with visible ”No Trespassing; 24-hour Video Surveillance” signs for good measure) help more with that kind of theft.

The Metris does not really need to be guarded against non-tow-away theft. The security devised by Mercedes and implemented on the Metris up to 2020 at least (I don’t know if keyless go is implemented on the refresh; that would be a strike against it) is almost unassailable. You can’t start the car without a key, period. You can’t take the car out of park easily without starting it; in countries where the late-model-used-Mercedes-part-market is more vibrant, when they steal Mercedes equipped with this system but not keyless go, they use dollies to wheel them over to flatbeds. Thieves looking for cars to physically take generally avoid these, or resort to car-jacking.

Keylessgo, on the other hand, can be bypassed with Systems readily available and used by car Thieves everywhere, which is why it is inferior.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts