Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like many vehicles today, there are several arrays of antennae baked into the windshield glass of the Metris. So when a pebble hit the top right side windscreen of my (Pebble Grey:) 2017 and cracked it, I was curious what RF reception might be impacted. The crack sliced right through the > cut here < marking on the glass near the A pillar. The radio worked fine, GPS for nav seemed OK... it took awhile for me to get the damage fixed but when I finally did, my curiosity was peaked again when the tech noted something...

It turns out the front windscreen (for my model) has two wire harness pigtails. One on each side protruding from the glass sandwiched antenna arrays. What the tech pointed out to me was that the passenger side connector harness taped to the A pillar had no wires connected to it! So that entire passenger side set was never connected to anything!?!

I assume this just means there are features that use those antennas which didn't come with my package. Or perhaps it's just cheaper to assemble a single glass glass product that is then masked and coated to package specs (center cam console, factory tints etc.) Or maybe the same screen is used in european market versions where the radio electronics cable runs are closer to that side and or due to RF spectrum allocations, need the different length antennae.

Anyone know what each of the antennae in the windscreen are for or anything else about the connectors or the antennae in the windshield?

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
Its probably for the alternate radio bands used in Europe. Probably the same windshield.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, my insurance picked up all but $200. I think I recall them saying they would pay up to $700 but don't quote me on that. I actually need to follow up to be sure I paid the right amount. I'll reply back if I was way off.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ouch. In the past I've paid well under $200 total -out the door- to replace a windshield in other vehicles. And I felt like that was a lot of cash to pay for an errant rock off of some dumb dump truck. I kind of wish there was a way to put on a "screen protector" like we do on a mobile phone. Just change out the $25 protector when a rock chips it instead of $900 to change the whole banana.

·
Registered
209 Posts
In Florida our insurance replaces/repairs windshields at No charge to the customer, even if the car has traveled out of state. I had a windshield replaced in Michigan last summer to the car registered in FL. No Charge

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well, my insurance picked up all but $200. I think I recall them saying they would pay up to $700 but don't quote me on that. I actually need to follow up to be sure I paid the right amount. I'll reply back if I was way off.
Who did the work? I think mine was $380 installed for OEM MB glass. Insurance paid all but $30.

·
Registered
900 Posts
That second antenna is standard CIA issue. Who exactly are you?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts