Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I never want to go under the hood. except maybe windshield washer fluid.
But I appreciate the mechanical ingenuity. How did you mount each end of the struts, what did you attach them to?

·
Registered
22 Posts
part number on the struts you used? How long compressed/extended?
Yakima Space case got new ones last year, maybe two for the Metris this year!
I will look for the mounts under the heavy heavy hood tomorrow, good info thanks!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm surprised I like this add-on! My left shoulder got blown up a few years ago, and I do find it a challenge to open the hood without switching arms half way through. Can you post the Ali URL?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,333 Posts
This is not something I honestly ever thought about, but the price and shipping is very reasonable. If the install uses existing holes and doesn't cause other issues this is a good practical mod.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hood struts are shown on the Mercedes WIS parts catalog. Probably for Euro vans. They could probably be retrofitted using all OEM parts.
The P/N appears to be discontinued here in the U.S. 447 589 02 63 00. Ali just got $33 American from me.

·
Registered
869 Posts

Drop the spaces. I’m sure extra parts are also required. I remember finding the actual stablius part number and it was much cheaper than Mercedes.
I know about spaces. I guess my cheap vendor mbpartscenter doesn't have it. Anyway, $33 on Ali may make sense. Over $300 to Mercedes is insane.

·
Registered
869 Posts
My $33 AliExpress hood struts came very well packed with woven straps keeping them compressed. SO far, I am super happy I installed them!!
Outerwear Blue Sleeve Grey Headgear

I think the OP has his struts installed upside down, based on what photos I could find. I had to add 8 stainless washers and 4 stainless metric nylocs (m-6, 12 mm I think). I used larger the stainless washers (same size as the zinc it came with) on the backside (the interior between the hood outer and inner surfaces). I used smaller stainless washers onthe exposed surfaces in the hood compartment as I think they look more original.

The lower strut actually mounts in the fender alignment bolt hole, so you need to remove one interior star nut T-20-ish? As an unexpected bonus, removing the factory painted over nut let the fender relax and reailign to finally match the headlamp housing. Loosening that nut and adjusting the fender is an easy and HIGHLY RECOMMENDED PROCEDURE if you have an issue.

Here's the end results. The close-ups show the rust retardant MB "cavity sealant" (read "cosmoline") I applied liberally on the zinc strut towers, in front and behind the hood sheet metal.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Blue Bumper
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Sculpture Art
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire

1 - 13 of 13 Posts