Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this video of a new "Weekender" conversion built in Santa Cruz. I'm not sure if this is an SCA pop top. But definitely Reimo seat/bed and table. I love the hidden lithium battery with inverter option. A lift kit is also offered.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
They use Reimo tops.

Pretty much anyone can assemble the weekender if they are a Reimo dealer. If you search the forum there are several mentions of Santa Cruz campers.

Somewhat painful to watch that video. Had to put it on 2x speed.

That power setup is going to be pricey. They use Battleborn batteries.

Do you know them?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know Battleborn are made near me in Reno. And my mom lives near Santa Cruz. I'm living with her and taking care of her. She just turned 98. I would check out Santa Cruz Camper, but seems like they mostly offer Reimo. I think SCA top is better. And I don't like the Reimo kitchen setup, like the previous PV version.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
I enjoyed the video. It was a bit different than the usual promo rush.

Sounds like a good option for people, if they want to do a partial upgrade or do it to a van they already own.

I'm impressed with that sliding seat track system.

Ultimately I think for camping, overlanding & hobbies; I think I'd end up with a sprinter, just to have that bit of extra space and amenities ... unless I had some custom interior (no extra seats) and pop top for sleep. But I love to see these things, see what is possible and day-dream / design.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the seat/bed tract system is the typical Reimo system that most are using, even in the MB Getaway.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
I know Battleborn are made near me in Reno. And my mom lives near Santa Cruz. I'm living with her and taking care of her. She just turned 98. I would check out Santa Cruz Camper, but seems like they mostly offer Reimo. I think SCA top is better. And I don't like the Reimo kitchen setup, like the previous PV version.
I used to live off 35 and could see the ocean and the valley. Miss it out there.

I think the Battleborn batteries are very good, but pricey. Nobody ever has problems with them. In the videos they say it's under the drivers seat. Just do you know that is where MB puts the second battery when you get that option. I have one there. Their upgrade to to the 200AH is nice though and the BB product would give you full discharge. Not sure I would run an induction burner on it though when butane is so cheap and the burner takes the same amount of space. A fridge/freezer on the other hand is a good idea.

The Reimo top can be upgraded to be like an SCA. You have to add the suspension to the bed.

You are correct. The smart floor is the same across most vendors for the weekender configuration. Meaning, no cabinets and the bed/seat. I think it works for most people. When you go with cabinets on the drivers side that's when the rail systems start having diversity.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like up off of Skyline. You wouldn't miss the traffic these days.

I'd like to be able to use an induction cooktop inside and use my 'ol Coleman outside. I like how the electronics/inverter are stored in the rear side panel area. I'm not crazy about how Keystone has the carpet covered box at the rear for the powerplant/electronics.

Are there other differences between the Reimo and SCA pop tops? My hope is for one that is comfortable, watertight and with little or no wind noise. I've heard some tops have wind noise. I also like the color matched top and not the wrapped top like on the Getaway.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
I actually thought Keystone was pretty clever with their massive battery upgrade on the pax van.

Some people want it all integrated. Some want it portable. I both like and dislike electronics in the side panel. Inverters need cooling especially if you want to power a 1200w induction burner. They probably have it sorted. They do appear to use higher quality components.

You can paint the top on the Getaway after you buy it and maybe get some life out of the wrap. I saw another outfitter Rhino coat the top. Not sure how much weight that adds. Sort of a clever option. Not sure of the expected uv lifetime.

SCA tops have molded in roof rack rail locations so the rails are flush.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I like things more finished with an OEM look, not a fuzzy carpet covered box at the rear taking up space. I've also wondered if a portable Jackery or Bluetti solar/lithium battery unit could be integrated into the house electrical system.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
There is already carpet at that spot. It's carpet up to about 4 inches below the window.

There is limited space under the driver's seat. If you need more than one house battery you don't have many options on where to put then.

You can plug a generator, battery pack or anything into shore power.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is an option for OEM Mercedes trim. I believe this eliminates some or all of the carpet look. PV requires the OEM trim. It's an option at Keystone. Others don't even offer it.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
Not sure what you are referring to. I think options are available for trimming the poptop interior lip around the edges.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think/hope it's more than just around the poptop lip. I've seen conversion photos where the rear side panels are molded plastic not ugly auto carpet. But don't know for sure.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
I think/hope it's more than just around the poptop lip. I've seen conversion photos where the rear side panels are molded plastic not ugly auto carpet. But don't know for sure.
Maybe you haven't consider why this is happening. A conversion starts out as a passenger van or a cargo van. The Pax has the passenger style panels you say you want. The cargo doesn't have those so you have to put something in. So you want to start with a passenger van.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is it possible that the optional OEM trim is those passenger van panels? They are listed as "interior passenger van trim panels" for nearly $2000. Maybe they are added to the cargo van to finish it off.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
I think you are maybe over thinking it. If you just want a weekender you get the poptop, smart floor and Reimo seat. You add the electrical and you are done. Every shop can make what the Getaway looks like.

If you don't start with a pax van and you want a poptop you need the headliner and some of the trim to trim it out.

Keystone rear battery with Passenger van:

Keystone rear battery in a Cargo van. Same basic placement as pax. Notice in the pax model you don't see the wheel well. In the cargo model you have all that extra space that is covered by the panel. In this case Keystone used automotive carpet to cover. You can use anything you like. You could do it in Alcantara if you wanted.

Different people put value on different things. One person wants all of the utility they can get and some of the surfaces are not important. Another person might really want everything to look perfect and sexy and give up some utility. Others might think 80k is too much and want to get a used cargo van for 20k and put a 12k poptop on it and throw an Ikea full size bed in the back. Another person might need to put bikes and gear in the back and want carpet over plastic panels for durability.... Luckily you can get all of those things. Small installers are often happy to mix and match.

You can always change things after you buy them also. Get an install and then take it to an upholstery shop and have it pimped out however you like.

For sure, investigating when you don't have a van is a little different. When you can sit in the thing and decide what's needed as you look out at a campsite its a little closer to home.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My hope is to get a full camper build, not a weekender. I would probably pay a little more for some better upholstery/trim. That fuzzy auto carpet is too hard to keep clean. Everything sticks to it. As you say, there are probably other options available. I'm surprised to see the lift kit at Santa Cruz Campers is just $900. I would consider that as future option, if needed.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
My hope is to get a full camper build, not a weekender. I would probably pay a little more for some better upholstery/trim. That fuzzy auto carpet is too hard to keep clean. Everything sticks to it. As you say, there are probably other options available. I'm surprised to see the lift kit at Santa Cruz Campers is just $900. I would consider that as future option, if needed.
So you don't like the OEM panels with the carpet? Sounds like maybe you want the OEM panels and then have the area that's carpeted covered in something else. Ok.

Auto carpet is very forgiving and while pine needles and dog hair can be a pain overall it's actually easier to keep clean. Plastic panels scratch. Vinyl gets cuts. Carpet is abrasion resistant and easier to slide things on.

$900 for some spacers and sway bar extensions seems high to me, but I like that approach over springs when starting with a pax van and comfort suspension. I feel like they must be supplying these to another upfitter. Don't forget you might want shocks along with the lift. Those are not included.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
Install is a key difference with that price. You are quoting the option price vs the kit price.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts