Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined. Have my eye on a (new) Metris cargo van to use as my errand/city car. The other car that served this purpose -- a 2018 MINI JCW (a very good car!) -- I sold before moving as where I moved to has no MINI dealer within 187 miles.

For me to choose from there are 3 Metris: There is a 2018, a 2019, and a 2020 (but with the 135" WB and priced too high for my liking). So call it two Metris.

The 2018 model tempts me -- lower price -- but 2 years sitting? I won't go into detail but I had another car that was little used for the first 6 years of its life -- but still well maintained -- and after I bought it with just under 10K miles manifested tons of problems -- mainly leaks of various kinds -- in part I believe due to the lack of use early on. After I bought the car I certainly used the heck out of it, putting on 150K miles on the car in 9 years.

Anyhow looking for some reassurance the 2019 (or the 2018) doesn't have any serious shortcomings like I read about with earlier examples having problems with tire alignment.

Any input on prices would be appreciated too.

Please hurry with those responses. I would like to buy one today. I'm tired of driving my Hellcat everywhere. Really racking up the miles and oh the gas mileage... It sucks.

·
Registered
900 Posts
My 2018 135 Cargo has been flawless. There is not much difference year to year 18 to 19 as I recall. I think they added power seats in '19, as well as repackaging some of the better cockpit options into a group (lighting I think). I also seem to recall that they fixed the missing brake controller issue in the towing package. Anyway, here's the 2018 and 2019 DOGs if you don't have them.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 2018 135 Cargo has been flawless. There is not much difference year to year 18 to 19 as I recall. I think they added power seats in '19, as well as repackaging some of the better cockpit options into a group (lighting I think). I also seem to recall that they fixed the missing brake controller issue in the towing package. Anyway, here's the 2018 and 2019 DOGs if you don't have them.
Thanks very much for those. I'll take a close look at them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went to the dealer yesterday. The 2018 and another Metris (and 2019 I think) had been drafted for use as parts vans and were not for sale as new vehicles.

But the dealer had a new 2020 (with a 125" wheel base) on the lot, well, a "distant" lot. The main dealer lot is pretty small and the dealer stores the overflow at some other location. (The 2020 with the longer wheelbase was out front but it had been sold and was awaiting being collected by its owner.)

Salesman arranged to have the dealer concierge bring the 2020 van to the dealer. I had left to run an errand and when I returned the salesman was just driving up in the van after having put some gasoline in it.

Dealer policy was to not have the salesman take the prospective buyer for a test ride or even ride along as a passenger. I pushed back a bit as I prefer my first exposure to be from the passenger seat as I can focus on the vehicle and not have to worry about driving an unfamiliar vehicle in an unfamiliar area. But the salesman said the manager was adamant that the salesman could not be in the van with a prospective buyer even with both of us masked. Said if the salesman got sick the entire dealership staff would have to be quarantined which forces the dealer to close. So I agreed to test drive the van. The salesman handed me the key and off I went on a test drive.

Being unfamiliar with the area not but a couple of blocks from the dealer I ended up on a dead end road. In my Hellcat it would have taken a great deal of effort to turn that car around and backing out of the twisting road was not an option. But in the Metris I managed a u-turn no problem. Very sharp turning radius for its size.

Van didn't wander or pull to one side or the other and braking was smooth. Acceleration was darn good. Even managed -- inadvertently to be sure due to my lack of experience with this van -- to spin the rear tires a tad when taking off from a stop. As an aside in winter not only will snow tires need to be fitted -- which I expected -- but some ballast -- bags of sand -- will need to be secured in the back over the rear axle to help traction. Have had to this with other rear wheel drive vehicles in similar conditions.

Took a freeway on ramp and keeping in mind the engine was brand new -- around 12 miles on it -- watched RPMs but the van accelerated up to freeway speed -- 70mph -- with plenty of vigor. It would not be a road boulder, that's for sure.

Also, the van was pretty quiet considering the cargo area bare painted sheet metal. Quieter than my MINI JCW with its run flat tires. Salesman said he believed there is a company that offers various panels for the Metris. I intend to look into this and get some plain panels to install to kind of "dress" up the cargo interior some and maybe reduce the noise a tad.

Oh the van is equipped with 17" steel wheels. And a full size spare. Oh man how I have missed having a full size spare for a vehicle. Not since my 2002 Golf TDi.

Back at the dealership had some questions and salesman answered them. Seat adjustment a bit goofy but got that sorted. Question about the A/C. While not an auto climate system the settings can be adjusted to keep the cabin cool even in 90F+ temperature, which is what it was at the time of the test drive, with minimal cabin fan speed. Also the A/C compressor is variable displacement which is very nice.

Fiddled with the display. Apparently the lack of steering wheel buttons means some telemetry is not available, like actual engine coolant temperature. Also, tire pressures can't be displayed. Scanned through the manual last night but today will have the manual with me in the van and I'll use the various controls to better familiarize myself with the dash stuff.

Apparently the van does not have the M-B Eco Stop/Start feature.

Inside salesman asked me how I planned to pay. Said I'd write a check. He didn't have any problems with that.

Off he went to get me a price. Came back with a price below sticker and actually a bit less than what I had in mind.

So I agreed to buy the car for the price the dealer offered it for and after a few minutes with the finance guy who after going through the paperwork accepted my personal check for $27649 not including taxes -- 6.5% which I pay at a county assessor's (?) office along with a registration fee -- I in my new van followed the salesman to my place as he drove my Hellcat. I doubt I "stole" the car but the price based on my research was to my liking.

Last but not least I got car insurance for my Hellcat the other day. $720/6 months. This with the same coverage limits I had with AAA in CA. But at around 1/3rd what I was paying in CA.

The other day when I asked for a quote to add the Metris to the policy I was told with the multi-car discount I would get a refund of approx. $209.

Have a covered car port for use with my Hellcat. I am going to "splurge" and get one for the Metris. $20/month but I only have an 8 month lease while I look for a house to buy and the carport keeps the sun off the van and offers some protection from the elements.

Pic:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Van

1 - 5 of 5 Posts