Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 Cargo 135 has about 1600 miles on it so I finally checked fuel mileage. Round trip 144 mile freeway run at 65 to 75 (mostly 65), unladen, in Economy mode. Filled at same station on return using TFL "pump wait 30 pump again) protocol. About 20 minutes of traffic delays.

Mileage: 25.14 mpg

I'm in the process of doing a city run now.

·
Registered
401 Posts
TFL = The Fast Lane Truck, its a Youtube truck/vehicle review channel

Thats the method they use for refilling before/after mpg test runs

25.14 is pretty good, thats about what I get in similar conditions with my passenger version in nice weather

This winter its been mostly city miles on steel stock wheels with snow tires and its still averaged close to 21....not bad. Almost 3 mpg better than the much smaller, slower, less torque, less HP c-class wagon it replaced.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TFL = The Fast Lane Truck, its a Youtube truck/vehicle review channel

Thats the method they use for refilling before/after mpg test runs

25.14 is pretty good, thats about what I get in similar conditions with my passenger version in nice weather

This winter its been mostly city miles on steel stock wheels with snow tires and its still averaged close to 21....not bad. Almost 3 mpg better than the much smaller, slower, less torque, less HP c-class wagon it replaced.
Sorry I missed the closing quote on the TFL protocol. Initially using this protocol -- which is intended to let the filler pipe drain and the tank "settle" -- worried me because the second fill could foul the carbon canister, DTC codes follow, etc. This has not been an issue.

QUESTION: How rigorous are you about getting 91 octane from the biggies as Daimler recommends (in my 2018 owners manual):

"Fuel additives

! Operating the engine with subsequently
added fuel additives can cause engine damage.
Do not mix fuel additives with fuel. This
does not include additives for the removal and
prevention of deposits.

Gasoline can only be
mixed with additives recommended by
Mercedes-Benz. Follow the instructions in the
product description. You can find further
information on recommended additives in any
Mercedes-Benz Commercial Van Center.
Mercedes-Benz recommends using brand-name
fuels with additives."

I've generally not used name brand fuel [e.g. Chevron, 76, Mobil, Shell, ARCO). Instead, I use a fuel system additive periodically, at least to my 86 thousand mile Ford. Chevron Techron additive from Costco.

Anybody else?

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I mostly put in Conoco 93, if not I try for Speedway 93, or Sunoco 93. There is a huge variance in quality of fuel, especially premium, depending on not only brand but station- you have a distinct change of getting old fuel at stations that don’t do much premium business.

Also I’ve noticed that with the new gas signs (the ones that only advertise regular and diesel) there is rarely much variance between the price of regular in a given area, but premium 93 can range from $.40 cents more than 89 to like $1.65 more than 89. It’s really nasty; until I noticed that I didn’t even look at the price difference.

Be careful out there.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mostly put in Conoco 93, if not I try for Speedway 93, or Sunoco 93. There is a huge variance in quality of fuel, especially premium, depending on not only brand but station- you have a distinct change of getting old fuel at stations that don’t do much premium business.

Also I’ve noticed that with the new gas signs (the ones that only advertise regular and diesel) there is rarely much variance between the price of regular in a given area, but premium 93 can range from $.40 cents more than 89 to like $1.65 more than 89. It’s really nasty; until I noticed that I didn’t even look at the price difference.

Be careful out there.
You can't find 93 at the pumps in California.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I usually use 93 from a Station near my house thats high traffic (lots of fancy premium needing cars fuel there) or at a Shell station also nearby with V-Power....or Costco. Have not noticed much difference in performance/mpg between those three.

I avoid small or shady looking stations.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’m getting 25.4 I don’t hit many stop lights and very little city driving. I like it where I live not too busy roads between cities, except during tourist season. That’s on mid grade gas, van only has maybee 400 pounds or so In it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m getting 25.4 I don’t hit many stop lights and very little city driving. I like it where I live not too busy roads between cities, except during tourist season. That’s on mid grade gas, van only has maybee 400 pounds or so In it.
The manual is so specific about using <91 for only until you can get to a station with 91 that I don't think I'll chance it. I did on my Eurovan, but that was naturally aspirated.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Full disclaimer: Daimler AG owns no shares of any oil companies. I don’t know why people think they are lying about their fuel reccomendations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've always assumed that the engines will run just fine on lower octane fuel (with less power output and MPG), but premium is specified by manufacturers because the vehicle will only deliver rated MPG, torque, and horsepower when burning that type of fuel.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
It also puts a strain on the emissions equipment and potentially the engine. It can also potentially cause knock (detonation) although I would guess the engine management system on the M274 is good enough to prevent that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts