Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all.been with tire wear since new.started to notice the fronts at 4000 miles on my 2017 metris cargo van.both sides more on passengers side.even at the rear there was slight wear on outer edges.front passengers was really wearing down fast,watched each day at it.called my washington,pa.dealer whom i bought this from.they have made adjustments,as so on...now though 2 new sets of front tires they replaced,second set was replaced at about 7000 miles,all four replaced just at 10,000 miles on speedometer.the fronts are again worn at 11500 to where soon need again replaced.they claim nothing is wrong with the van ??? there should be a class action act !!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you only used the stock tires? My original Hankook tires had the same issue. I switched them to Michelin Defender ltx m/s and they are doing great.
Did you have an alignment done when you got the Defenders? My original Continentals are showing lots of wear on the outer edges at 25,000, middle of tires still look good. They were rotated every 5000. I’m planning on getting Defenders and thinking of going to MB dealership for an alignment once I’ve got the new tires. Does anybody know what MB dealers typically charge for an alignment?

·
Registered
26 Posts
MB charges $149.95 for alignment. Just had this done with new Mich Defenders at the dealer. Had 27,000 miles on original Hankooks with horrible outer wear over almost 3 years (bought new Nov 2016). Jury is out on whether outer wear issue will continue, but the ride is completely different, smooth and quiet.

·
Registered
319 Posts
MB charges $149.95 for alignment. Just had this done with new Mich Defenders at the dealer. Had 27,000 miles on original Hankooks with horrible outer wear over almost 3 years (bought new Nov 2016). Jury is out on whether outer wear issue will continue, but the ride is completely different, smooth and quiet.
What dealer was it? I just paid $300 for alignment a month or two ago where I bought my van in SoCal Nov 2016.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you have an alignment done when you got the Defenders? My original Continentals are showing lots of wear on the outer edges at 25,000, middle of tires still look good. They were rotated every 5000. I’m planning on getting Defenders and thinking of going to MB dealership for an alignment once I’ve got the new tires. Does anybody know what MB dealers typically charge for an alignment?
I didn't have an alignment done. I bought my Defenders from discount tire. I'm not sure why the Hankooks would wear so much differently than the Defenders. I never noticed any shake or pull so balance and alignment seemed okay. The Hankooks were very smooth on a smooth road, almost felt more like run flat tires. Maybe they have a stiffer sidewall. The Defenders are plenty smooth on highways and more comfortable on city streets. I have about 18k miles on the Defenders and hardly any signs of wear. The Hankooks showed outer edge wear at 10k and I switched to the Defenders at 20K.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
The hankooks are a general part of the problem. I’m not sure why but I did 3 alignments before 36k miles with severely uneven wear... and none since (almost 110k now) with no appreciable unevenness. The only appreciable variable was the switch in tire brands

·
Registered
90 Posts
My new 2016 came with Hankooks that wore unevenly very quickly. At 19,500 miles I purchased a MB-dealer 4-wheel alignment and a new set of 4 Hankooks, despite the good advice about Defenders posted by GML multiple times on this site at that time. The new set of Hankooks did wear evenly after the alignment! But there wasn't much joy in that because they too wore out very fast. At 37,600 miles with balding but evenly worn tires, I broke down and bought the Mich Defenders and I am really enjoying the quiet ride.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just ordered the Defenders from Big Brand Tires for $888.42 and will get a rebate of $70. Might be cheaper elsewhere, but they have been good to me so I support their business. Set up an appt for an alignment at my MB dealership for next week at $189.95. Still loving my van with 25,000 miles and no issues, other than the outer tire wear. Hope the alignment and Defenders will cure that problem.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm in the same situation. I was really excited about putting on the Vredestein Quatrac 5's. Not even 3,000 miles and I'm already at more than half of the outer edge worn on the front tires. The rears look brand new. They were aligned at the dealer right after being installed. My original Hankooks went 33,000 miles, and the outer edges looked about how my new fronts look. Crazy!

I considered the Michelin Defenders. I know they are great tires. But $180 per tire is beyond what I want to pay for tires on my cargo van. And I really take issue with the notion of only one tire working for the Metris. Even my dealer said that the only tire they've had good success with was the Defenders. But he couldn't guarantee they would last.

·
Registered
319 Posts
MB charges $149.95 for alignment.
Set up an appt for an alignment at my MB dealership for next week at $189.95.
****, your dealers charge much less than mine at $300: do you get a loaner? My dealer was so busy and needed two days to finish so it was like rent a GLC with 55 miles brand new for free.

Just noticed I couldn't post even the word "D-a-m-n". The "F" family used to be OK but not anymore.

·
Registered
39 Posts
****, your dealers charge much less than mine at $300: do you get a loaner? My dealer was so busy and needed two days to finish so it was like rent a GLC with 55 miles brand new for free.

Just noticed I couldn't post even the word "D-a-m-n". The "F" family used to be OK but not anymore.
No loaner, but a ride home and pick up same day when finished. I live 15 miles from the dealership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this van has the Continental tires from the factory;van has been through alignment three times.the tires were set at 45 lbs pressure by the sprinter service guy.he insists this is the correct tire pressure.theres really not a load ever carried on the van .now the truck rides with lots of road noise and bounce.i tried to say the tags say other wise on the fuel door but he claims 45lbs is correct all the time for tire pressure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
hi all.been with tire wear since new.started to notice the fronts at 4000 miles on my 2017 metris cargo van.both sides more on passengers side.even at the rear there was slight wear on outer edges.front passengers was really wearing down fast,watched each day at it.called my washington,pa.dealer whom i bought this from.they have made adjustments,as so on...now though 2 new sets of front tires they replaced,second set was replaced at about 7000 miles,all four replaced just at 10,000 miles on speedometer.the fronts are again worn at 11500 to where soon need again replaced.they claim nothing is wrong with the van ??? there should be a class action act !!
Hi Been there with all 3 of my metris since out of the gate. It took them 2 years to get the proper camber specs for the latest alignment. after hearing 2 years of denial that there is no issue from Mercedes advocacy mouthpiece, replacing hancook garbage with Michelin and still ruining $180 tires x 24 tires I got a more rigid bridgestone truck tire after the last corrected updated alignment that we waited patiently for and so far so good, but now on to the emission's fight, my van failed 2nd emissions and I am ready to go after them . When I hear DENIAL of a problem when I have 3 vans, it destroys any faith I had in Mercedes as a vehicle company! cALL the advocacy and get the latest alignment specs done and then replace the tires with Michelin or Bridgestone tiger paw better in winter more aggressive tread,,,half the price hard rubber long wear provided you have the newest alignment specs and rotate backs to front . These vans are indeed a maintenance burden

·
Registered
133 Posts
this van has the Continental tires from the factory;van has been through alignment three times.the tires were set at 45 lbs pressure by the sprinter service guy.he insists this is the correct tire pressure.theres really not a load ever carried on the van .now the truck rides with lots of road noise and bounce.i tried to say the tags say other wise on the fuel door but he claims 45lbs is correct all the time for tire pressure.
45 pounds pressure while carrying loads is correct but I researched and found that 39 lbs for unloaded van is called for. Not a big pressure difference but I noticed a big change in ride characteristics.

·
Registered
576 Posts
After the factory Hanooks trash wore through, I've been running Nokian w/ MB dealer 4-wheel alignment and very happy with treadwear and wet/dry performance.

·
Registered
576 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2017 cargo van has about 19,500 miles on the factory Hankooks and I, too, am experiencing uneven, outer ware mostly on the right front tire. In March 2018 I had the dealer in Loveland, Colorado do the 4-wheel alignment, after I completed the interior camper-van upfitting. The cost was $119.95. I have an appointment with the dealer on November 1 talk to them about tire ware and alignment issues. The comments in this string have been very useful. I will definitely be asking them questions about having the latest alignment specs and asking what they used when the alignment was done in March 2018.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
We bought our Metris in December of 2015. We had the same issue. We took it to the dealer 2 times to have it aligned.
Before we bought our 3rd and latest set of tires, we took our van to an independent alignment shop. Told them,” I don’t want our tires to ware out on the edges so fast.”
Done, quick and simple. 10k miles on our new set of tires and no premature ware on the outer edges.
Stay away from the dealerships. Take your business to someone who does alignments for a living.
It took us 4 years to figure this out. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts