Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some new photos popping up on Facebook of the Travois build. Not sure I like the looks of their pop top. It appears to stick up and not as flush as the SCA pop top. In some other photos, it appears more narrow as well. They do say that it is the only top that keeps the B pillar in tact.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I don't know. I think it has all the sexy curves as a 1976 Lotus Esprit.
The Spy Who Loved Me? But will it go underwater?

First off, competition is always good. I am not sure who bested who, but another choice besides GTRV for the 135 crowd is good. My comments below are nitpicks about what appears to be quality work.

My general reaction is more curiosity than "Wow!" It's a bit industrial, which I like, but not if it looks like a Honda Element-cum-mobility van. The placement of the Travois Elevate logo reinforces the mobility van look. I think it would look much better sans the expansive rear glass, which to my eye looks out of place on the 135 WB converted cargo van depicted. I mean, the way it looks, it should have seating for 9 or 10. It is cool glass though. :cool:

On the even more nitpicky side, I can forgive the "it looks aerodynamic" leading edge, mid-chassis at the B-pillar, but the rounded edge on the rear of the top gives it a homemade look, especially when combined with the starkly vertical sides. Like when dad got a router and had to use that gosh-danged roundover bit on everything short of the bathtub, and then only because he couldn't find a "porcelain bit" at the hardware store. I suspect the rounded edge is stronger, which begs the question of why they didn't round the sides too.

Is that an external security strap at the B-pillar? If so, are you kidding? In my book that means visual and physical inspection for wear or vandalism at almost every urban stop.

And sorry if I start a flame war, but lose the tailgate. I love the in-out convenience of the lightweight barn doors, especially in my garage. Here I think barn doors would reduce the "tacked-on" look of the Travois effort. Anyway, the fantasy of rain shelter is nice, but not for real world camping in my experience (I concede suitability for a weekend soccer pax van). Anything other than vertical rain means a wet van interior when you're in terrain.

Now the closing -- after I wrote this I visited the Travois webpage. The depicted 135 looks really good to me by comparison. Here are the differences I saw:
  • It's pebble grey with steelies
  • Travois avoids showing any pictures with the top down
  • The Travois logo on the top is cool
  • There is no external security strap, or whatever it is
  • The passenger slider has a nice opening window to break up the side
  • It has barn doors with no glass
Check it out yourself. The comparison was almost like an eye trick.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
Joking aside, if they can sell this top installed for 5k they would sell a bunch of them. I think there is a price sensitive market and rental market that doesn't need the look to be perfect.

Need to get rid of the external reach around doohickey though.

I'm guessing, but the only reason they don't cut the pillar is so they don't have to create a stiffener frame like the others. I don't think it makes the van stiffer than the others. I think it's just different. Clearly the others have a better external aesthetic.

·
Registered
799 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joking aside, if they can sell this top installed for 5k they would sell a bunch of them. I think there is a price sensitive market and rental market that doesn't need the look to be perfect.

Need to get rid of the external reach around doohickey though.

I'm guessing, but the only reason they don't cut the pillar is so they don't have to create a stiffener frame like the others. I don't think it makes the van stiffer than the others. I think it's just different. Clearly the others have a better external aesthetic.
It will be interesting to see what their pricing is. I have been following their "upcoming" Metris van for months. But getting information from them has been difficult. The base price has not been disclosed and I have not been able to obtain info about any options or upgrades. Their website says to contact one of their approved Mercedes dealers for pricing and availability, but I have attempted that with 2 dealers in my area and could not get any answers. This has really turned me off as other Metris upfitters like PV, Keystone and GTRV are more than happy to provide information.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. There are some better photos there. It looks like the pop top is much narrower. The lower bed looks smaller as well.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
@Nancy Thanks for the link. Crazy narrow. Good to have some diversity in the offerings. PV/Driverge could easily deliver the full rv van when supply and logistics clears up. One of the nice things about the SCA top is that the low end it still high enough to sleep with your head at that end. This top bed almost looks more narrow than the seat/bed. Yikes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Nancy Thanks for the link. Crazy narrow. Good to have some diversity in the offerings. PV/Driverge could easily deliver the full rv van when supply and logistics clears up. One of the nice things about the SCA top is that the low end it still high enough to sleep with your head at that end. This top bed almost looks more narrow than the seat/bed. Yikes.

View attachment 19177

View attachment 19179

View attachment 19178
The lower bed also looks narrower than the Reimo bed others are using. Appears to be a gap on the side.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
But if Travois is using a cargo van and their own seat/bed, why not utilize the space?
Yea, the point I made here:

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
Good that there is competition.
Maybe for a single individual this would work well ( narrow bed ). Price point may be a very hard sell. Personally I don’t see enough features and upgrades.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seeing the Travois and Driverge in person was interesting. Noticeably different in "people size/space." The dealer provided both bed dimensions over the phone before I easily decided on the Getaway.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Seeing the Travois and Driverge in person was interesting. Noticeably different in "people size/space." The dealer provided both bed dimensions over the phone before I easily decided on the Getaway.
The Travois model looks pretty heavy on built-in storage with pretty deep driver's side cabinets. That could be a plus for some.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
In some shots the surfaces of the cabinets don't seem high end. Look more like builder grade stained plywood. How did they look in person?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts