Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am considering this for winter setup: 18x8 ET60 with 235/55r18. My objective is increase in ride comfort, ride height and with no clearance problems. Speedo inaccuracy expected.

Here is how I got to this measurement:
1. Stock tire 225/55r17 ET51 is 26.7 inches diameter

2. I have test wheel 18x9 ET52 with 255/45r18 which barely clears the suspension bits and wheel well on the inside. It is 27.1 inches diameter. It looks like a rubber band with the stock suspension. It also fits in the spare tire location without the nice plastic pull/shield with about half an inch of leeway in the narrowest dimension of front/rear.

3. I read that someone aiming for lots of lift used a tire (specs forgotten but something tall like 265/60r17 BFGoodrich I think) measuring 29.1 inches diameter.

4. Wheel: 9 inches is too wide for anything spec 50 series and higher, so I will go to 8 inches width and 18 inches diameter wheel. I am considering only MB wheels from ML or GL as these are the heaviest Benzes and are so readily available. 8.5 width not available I have a wheel from an ML which is ET60. 19 inch tires are expensive.

5. 235/55r18 measures around 28.1 inches diameter which is 1.4 inches larger than stock resulting in 0.7 inches or 17.78 mm sidewall height increase.

Opinions welcome!

·
Registered
401 Posts
For winter driving a taller/narrower tire will give the most optimal traction results in snow. Not to mention much more resilient to any hidden road hazards than a low profile tire. I would stick with OEM size wheels and put a good snow tire on and call it good. (which is what I will be doing with mine this fall)

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't think I will go taller than the stock tire, it is tall enough as it is. Around here low profile tires are a good way to get flats on a regular basis thanks to our roads. My brother has had two tires destroyed on his E350 sedan in the past 4 months!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts