Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

"Always on" rear view camera

7K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  icerabbit 
#1 ·
I am looking at creative ways to have a "constantly on" rear view camera. The backup camera is only on when you're in reverse and apparently cannot be configured in a way that allows you to turn it on at will. I've read various theories on it...some mentioning a cover that opens/closes when you're in reverse. I experimented and I can not find any such cover unless it's somewhere invisible to me. Some forums mention a settings hack for Sprinters to toggle the behavior, but they also say that these settings aren't available for the Metris.

So...I am looking for other ways of having a camera that is always on while the engine is running.

My parameters are strict. I am not making any permanent modifications to the van until I know what the **** I'm doing. That means. No drilling, gluing or welding.

I will need to find a way to attach it to something that is already there.

This leaves a couple of options for where to attach the camera and how to power it.

My first idea was that maybe I could find a 3rd brake light that had a camera built in, and replace the factory 3rd brake light. These exist, but only for the Metris passenger van with the lift gate. Nothing appears to exist for the cargo van with barn doors. I don't have a lift gate, but probably??? the brake light is actually on the lift gate. Whereas for cargo vans with barn doors, it's on the roof.

Another option I am wondering about is whether or not I can commandeer the trailer hitch and 7 pin plug. After looking around a bit, it seems like a lot of people want to put cameras on/near their trailers for a couple of reasons. 1. To help them actually back their vehicle into the right spot to attach the trailer. 2. To monitor what's going on with their trailer as they drive.

The trailer hitch socket is a 7 pin socket, and each pin is for a specific purpose (turn signals, reverse lights, running lights, brake lights). Additionally, there are 2 pins that are labeled + and -. When I google 7 pin trailer wiring diagrams, the #4 pin (+) says "Aux 12v+ charging" and the #1 pin (-) is ground. I'm not sure of the specifics of the 12v (like...how many amps, and whether pin 4 is always on)...unlike the other pins that are only passing a current through when...for example...the turn signal is on.

Supposing I can find a way to make the socket work, my idea is to mount a camera on something that I can insert into the actual trailer hitch and attach it using a locking towing hitch pin.

Before I spend a lot of time going down this rabbit hole...is this a great idea or a terrible idea?

Someone on a different forum that I'm on had this to say:

"I would hack the factory camera to be on all the time, or just tap the feed from the factory camera and add an auxiliary monitor that is installed using VHB so it's removable. The hacking/tapping can be handled either by finding the male/female set of connectors needed for inserting a "Y" tap, or just with a connector backprobe kit.

Hacking could be as simple as just providing +12v power to the reverse sense line going to the factory system, or as complex as injecting a CAN signal. You'd have to investigate. A wiring diagram should tell you."

Again: Great or terrible idea?

See less See more
#2 ·
Not exactly what you're looking for but some ideas here, including a brake light camera that apparently works with the cargo van. I ordered it to see but haven't received it yet.

#3 ·
I saw that post, but my question for that is...where are you going to mount it on the van? I'm trying to solve 2 problems.
1. Where can I mount something to the van without drilling, gluing, etc.
2. How can I get power to it

The trailer hitch checks off both boxes, but I just don't know if you can commandeer the 7 pin socket to power the camera.

#4 ·
...some mentioning a cover that opens/closes when you're in reverse. I experimented and I can not find any such cover unless it's somewhere invisible to me.
The camera cover is only on lift gates.
I saw that post, but my question for that is...where are you going to mount it on the van? I'm trying to solve 2 problems.
1. Where can I mount something to the van without drilling, gluing, etc.
2. How can I get power to it

The trailer hitch checks off both boxes, but I just don't know if you can commandeer the 7 pin socket to power the camera.
I wouldn't bother attempting to repurpose the trailer wiring. If you want to attach a second camera to the tow hitch receiver, I would fabricate a bracket and run my own cable through any one of several existing holes in the rear corners of the chassis.

#5 ·
Can you talk a bit about what you want the camera to solve? Knowing more can help us suggest the best approach.

You can get a digital rear view mirror. Camera goes in rear glass or on the door.

The camera for cargo vans up top slips in the brake light. Those are available on eBay, Amazon and aliexpress etc.

#6 · (Edited)
Can you talk a bit about what you want the camera to solve? Knowing more can help us suggest the best approach.
I want to be able to see what's behind me all the time. As if I had a rear view mirror.

You can get a digital rear view mirror. Camera goes in rear glass or on the door.
I don't have windows in my rear doors.

The camera for cargo vans up top slips in the brake light. Those are available on eBay, Amazon and aliexpress etc.
I looked at those. Unless I'm missing something, they are not for the cargo vans. The ones I've found specifically say "not for cargo"

For example. This is for the Metris, but the product details specifically says it's not compatible with the cargo vans. Only the passenger vans. Every picture I've seen of this solution shows the product mounted on the lift gate, not on the roof above the barn doors.

#7 ·
There is a thread on the board about installing a digital rear view mirror.

In the thread linked above I posted this ebay item. It's for a cargo van or van with double doors.

If you did not get the mirror because you don't have glass you don't have the mount at the top of the windshield. So I would suggest looking at the various cheap digital mirrors on Amazon. They are most often advertised as mirror and dashcam. They have 4 camera inputs. They can be 'console" mounted or mounted on a pedestal on the dash using gravity. I know you said you didn't want to drill etc. You may be able to vhb a camera on the door. Since you want this to be like a rear view it means you want the camera to have the correct line of sight which is near your head level. The camera I linked above is more for backup. The camera for rear view are a bit different.

#9 ·
@Tracey - a couple of thoughts. I think there is an aftermarket rear roof mounted camera for Sprinters that would likely be compatible with the cargo Metris. In addition, there is this option . I talked to the guys at Lockdown Security last year, and some newer versions of what they show are available at Crutchfield.
This is on my to-do list for later this year.

#12 ·
There are quite inexpensive import options for windshield - on or near dash monitors. I improvised a glass mount for the most inexpensive cube camera. Without glass, you’d be looking at magnetic install or making a bracket over over the third brake light or even a new brake light with the cam built-in, ot the one that is new for vito that is on a bracket that gets screwed and sandwiched under the third brake light.

I uses my little cam today in the trunk area to keep an eye on essentially a make-shift aquarium that was 1/3rd full. My display is an inexpensive carplay android auto multifunction tablet / display. But there are plenty of standalone screens. I may get on to keep the tablet on navigation. And then the little cam screen on the camera view.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.