Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Metris 126
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first-time posting. Just purchased a 2020 Metris 126" cargo van off the lot for our food bank, and I want to add panels to the unprotected openings in the back. I'm going to cut my own out of Coroplast. The lower panels seem easy enough to attach using pretty standard panel clips. But I've learned from other threads that the upper cargo panels don't install using plastic trim clips like the lower ones, but instead use screws into U-clips that attach to the edge of the body panel around the openings. These are part # A004-994-71-45 and apparently available only from Germany, so sometimes take awhile to get on order. Has anyone successfully used non-Mercedes generic U-clips in their place?

·
Registered
2020 Metris 126
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Pounce. What I'm planning to install are not the VanLiner aftermarket panels or similar floor-to-ceiling panels, but panels that copy the standard Mercedes ones, which consist of separate upper and lower panels that fit in between the pillars, as in this photo.

Various posts on this forum have suggested that the upper panels require the A004-994-71-45 clips to receive the screws for the upper panels, because there are no holes in the body that take the plastic trim clips as there are for the lower panels. I was just curious if anyone had come up with an alternative (other than velcro, which has been suggested).

·
Registered
2020 135WB Cargo
37 Posts
@elbrowno - What did you end up doing to install the upper panels? I ordered the OEM U clips but can’t figure out how they attach, or accept any screws. Must be possible, since the panels have all of those holes.

·
Registered
909 Posts
So I slip them on the edge, then use then tap in the screws? The hole in the clip seems too small.
Photo attached.

There are no screws -- you need plastic push pins which are different from the lower panel "rivets." The uppers are smaller & smooth topped, with no blade groove (unlike factory lowers and headliner on my cargo). My book shows them as 000-991-92-40 I'm not finding a quick reference to source those because I think I got mine from VanGo when I bought his Con-pearl panels.

On the upper panel area sheet metal, you will find sets of bumps embossed onto the interior wall sheet metal along the edge of the opening for the panel. Place the clips between those embossed bumps, clipped onto the sheet metal with the hole on the clip oriented "in" towards the center of the panel. Using your panel, line up the holes more precisely than you did initially. If you are making panels, stop and make your hole template now. You can see the clips on the photo below outboard of the NOICO RED 315 mil insulation.

Personally, I would find lining up and drilling the clip holes in raw 3mm stock daunting. The holes in the factory panels are actually slotted at the radius of the curve at each point in order to allow some slop in the fabrication and installation. It will be very hard to create spot on holes for the pushpins. You could buy a rear panel to use as a template. I think they are available online for $60 to $100. That's a lot for a template, which is why I decided to use the corrugated factory Con-pearl instead of wood -- the template became my panel. The factory doesn't offer Con-pearl headliners.

It was VERY challenging to fabricate the headliner panels in my van, and that was a strictly rectilinear problem. I also found it a challenge to create smooth holes of the same diameter as the factory without damaging the 3 mm Baltic Birch 5 x 5 panels. I did not have a big enough punch, so I had to reinforce and pre-drill, etc. Remember the attachment points are very near the edges of thin 3 mm material. By way of contrast, the non-brittle Con-pearl panels I have are 4.8 mm, as I recall.

I must've shot the picture right before I hung the Thinsulate because I see the 3M spray adhesive. Have fun!

·
Registered
2020 135WB Cargo
37 Posts
Thanks! I said “screws” when I meant push pins. I’m using OEM panels that I was able to get at a local dealer (no shipping charges). I covered them with marine vinyl. The lower panels were easy. Your photo is exactly what I thought, but not quite certain. I was already planning on Velcro as a backup option.
Auto part Beige Car seat Rectangle Vehicle

·
Registered
909 Posts
Thanks! I said “screws” when I meant push pins. I’m using OEM panels that I was able to get at a local dealer (no shipping charges). I covered them with marine vinyl. The lower panels were easy. Your photo is exactly what I thought, but not quite certain. I was already planning on Velcro as a backup option. View attachment 19224

View attachment 19224
Those panels look great! Good luck!

·
Registered
2020 135WB Cargo
37 Posts
Update on fasteners for OEM upper panels.
Hi everyone - After some trial and error, I finally have the correct part numbers for the fastener for the upper panel clips. They are screws, not push pins like the lower panels. 000000-001527 Kick Panel Trim Screw
I ordered them online Tuesday and picked them up this morning from the dealer.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I think you want this part -- note the reference to upper trim panel rivet in the description:

I don't think the part you are ordering is correct:

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts