Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
No one has.
Wow, also $2500 on Ebay. I'd like to see how the steering wheel controls and reversing camera integrate.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Is this Alpine X800D-V447 head unit new or has this been out for a while? Has anyone tried it?

The 2017 year model is compatible with US market, FM tuner has odd and even numbers after the dot. USA DVD region is available and selected once installed. Maps are available for USA, Canada and Mexico. Steering controls work fine. Original Metris/Vito rear camera is NOT compatible and has to be replaced and rewired for an Alpine one. It is available all over Europe for Euros 1800.00 installation is very easy. Plug and play.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have it, bought it in Italy and had it sent to US. Positives+ = it has a Giant screen, clear picture. Negatives- =Draw back is cost and the fact you can't get XMradio and the cheap FM antenna adaptor I purchased sucks. A few additional adaptors are needed. if you plan on using the screen for streaming video hull need to add an HDMI cable too. Installation was easy but had to download new software using a windows based computer for the navigation to work.

If I were to do it again I would shop around, someone has to have something in the US thats is just as good or better with a lower cost.

·
Registered
52 Posts
$2500 for a stereo? You guys have more money than me. Or at least less sechel.
Greenmanedlion, I would like to thank you for my extended education in the yiddish vocabulary. However, it is not a lack of common sense or intelligence (the Jewish English lexicon) that can entice one to upgrade the Audio 15 sound system. I paid AUD$3000 (USD$2500) for the installation of the Zenec unit in my Vito. This included the digital audio antenna, the HDMI interface and an additional dedicated USB port.

The main reason was that the Becker MAP Pilot option was AUD$900 and did not give any fixed speed camera or red light camera warnings. I am an enthusiastic driver, as I believe you are, and I find the warnings most helpful especially when I am in unfamiliar territory. This contributes to the retaining of my driver's licence. We have a points based system here in New South Wales....you pay a considerable fine AND you accrue points as well. Get more than 12 points in any two year period and you lose you licence for a minimum of 3 months or more. A typical speeding fine for exceeding the speed limit by 15kms (9.3mph) would be $440 plus 4 points. Not a great outcome.

I also got the bigger screen, HDMI input, touch screen, etc but also lost out on the address book capabilities via the steering wheel controls and the driver's readout. Not a deal breaker. When you factor in the cost of the Becker MAP Pilot, then the replacement head unit only cost AUD$2100 or USD$1550.

I do not consider myself a schemdrick nor a schmo, but would profess to having chutzpah in spades !

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Your welcome. I suppose I never thought of the navigation system because my experience is every Nav I’ve owned (a Magellan, a Tom Tom and two Garmins) before this went fahrklempt at about 120k miles, or at least psychotic. They’d start routing me all kinds of senseless and stupid ways, taking me dozens (or once, over a hundred) of miles out of my way. Resultingly, I consider the infernal things disposable.

I expect to replace the Becker in another few years with an external one. I usually avoid spending more than $150 or $200 on the thing, but the Becker was I a package of other things I needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have it, bought it in Italy and had it sent to US. Positives+ = it has a Giant screen, clear picture. Negatives- =Draw back is cost and the fact you can't get XMradio and the cheap FM antenna adaptor I purchased sucks. A few additional adaptors are needed. if you plan on using the screen for streaming video hull need to add an HDMI cable too. Installation was easy but had to download new software using a windows based computer for the navigation to work.

If I were to do it again I would shop around, someone has to have something in the US thats is just as good or better with a lower cost.
Did it at least sound a lot better after? What adapters did you need?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts