1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I would hold off for the wider availability of the Pioneer Audio 40 which is what Mercedes will be using in the 2021 Metris and it is retrofitable

·
Registered
277 Posts
Interesting. I just found this one as well. It has a larger screen. I was thing about adding a front camera too.
That's the nicest one I've seen so far. Looks like it belongs in our vans. But, I wonder if it's fully compatible with USA radio bands? Like the newer HD they have now?

·
Registered
277 Posts
It looks like it's on Ebay for a much better price than the link posted. But, even if it'll do HD radio here in the states. It may only contain EU maps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the answer from an Italian seller on eBay for the Alpine Vito unit.

"It is ok for you car but in this moment I have close for coronavirus."

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like HD radio is not compatible. From Wikipedia:

HD Radio versus DABEdit
Some countries have implemented Eureka-147 Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) or its successor DAB+. DAB broadcasts a single station that is approximately 1500 kilohertz wide (≈1000 kilobits per second). That station is then subdivided into multiple digital streams of between 9 and 12 programs. In contrast FM HD Radio which requires 400 kHz bandwidth is assigned to the traditional 200 kilohertz channel spacing used in the United States, with capability of 300 kbit/s in pure digital mode.

·
Registered
470 Posts

Isn't this the same Alpine in this Canadian Metris? Nice setup with the side view cameras.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is. I want to do those cameras and a front camera. It seems that you lose the wheel synced backup lines though. So many compromises in these units.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Looks like HD radio is not compatible. From Wikipedia:

HD Radio versus DABEdit
Some countries have implemented Eureka-147 Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) or its successor DAB+. DAB broadcasts a single station that is approximately 1500 kilohertz wide (≈1000 kilobits per second). That station is then subdivided into multiple digital streams of between 9 and 12 programs. In contrast FM HD Radio which requires 400 kHz bandwidth is assigned to the traditional 200 kilohertz channel spacing used in the United States, with capability of 300 kbit/s in pure digital mode.
I wouldn't worry about HD radio too much. I only know about it because my wifes '18 Mazda 3 has it and I admit it does sound cleaner and crisper than standard radio. But,I would rather have the alpine , also a good amp speaker setup since the Metris is lacking in that department and just stream Spotify at 320kbs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it plays nicely with the backup camera and other systems, the trade off seems worth it. It does seem to lose the dynamic lines on the backup camera.

I hopefully take delivery tomorrow of a new 2019 PAX.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts