Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018, MB Metris Passenger Van, 8 seats
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Metris Service manual indicates a service life of about 10.000 km before a new Air filter needs to be installed.

I personally like checking and replacing them in the spring once the snow, all the water on the road & the dust has disappeared, regardless what the mileage is. In both of my vehicles they are usually pretty dirty with way less then 10.000km on them.

Imagine my surprise when I did check about 3 weeks ago and noticed that the original OEM Mahle filter was too short lengthwise. The way it was installed it had about an 1/16" or 2mm gap between the filter element itself (both sides) and the actual air box intake opening. In other words the filter was shorter then the air box itself. I don't know if this was incorrectly installed by the MB dealership and was compressed or if this is the original size, but it definitely let unfiltered air into my engine !!! You may want to check yours.

I replaced it with a NAPA Gold filter - part number # 200559 which fitted perfectly (they are made by WIX) and cost me about half of what the dealer was quoting for a new MB one.

The Napa filter did not move around in the air box once seated like the OEM Mahle filter did and there appeared to be more molded rubber to properly seal it.

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
NAPA is $31. OEM is $12.43 where not discontinued at mercedespartscenter.com

·
Registered
77 Posts
Had the air filter been changed before or was this the original factory air filter? Do you think a dealer used the wrong air filter?

·
Registered
900 Posts
And, if I may ask, where are you driving that requires a 10,000 km air filter service interval?

Reactions: RobbMeeX

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeah was this the original left the factory filter?

Also interesting is that it has a 651 part number as this would refer to the OM651 diesel found in all other variants of the W447.....maybe they use the same air cleaner assembly. The filter on my OM651 is dramatically different however....and larger.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The Metris Service manual indicates a service life of about 10.000 km before a new Air filter needs to be installed.

I personally like checking and replacing them in the spring once the snow, all the water on the road & the dust has disappeared, regardless what the mileage is. In both of my vehicles they are usually pretty dirty with way less then 10.000km on them.

Imagine my surprise when I did check about 3 weeks ago and noticed that the original OEM Mahle filter was too short lengthwise. The way it was installed it had about an 1/16" or 2mm gap between the filter element itself (both sides) and the actual air box intake opening. In other words the filter was shorter then the air box itself. I don't know if this was incorrectly installed by the MB dealership and was compressed or if this is the original size, but it definitely let unfiltered air into my engine !!! You may want to check yours.

I replaced it with a NAPA Gold filter - part number # 200559 which fitted perfectly (they are made by WIX) and cost me about half of what the dealer was quoting for a new MB one.

The Napa filter did not move around in the air box once seated like the OEM Mahle filter did and there appeared to be more molded rubber to properly seal it.
Are you sure?

My upper housing has a dedicated channel for the rubber seal, with an inner and and outer wall, and a gap all the way around the outside to give the rubber someplace to go when compressed. It all appears to be in proper order.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
That oem filter doesn't even look dirty. I would have let it go another 10,000 miles. Or is it not dirty due to the air bypassing it?

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
A lot of people have been misled by their mechanics as to exactly what a dirty air filter looks like. The one the OP is showing is not a dirty air filter.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My GLK had the original in it at 70k miles and while it was quite dirty, it was still working ok....and diesels move more air typically as well. Not planning on going to 70k on the next one though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The air filter is supposed to be checked and/or replaced as part of the B service:

“Air filter: check dirt level (replace as necessary, after 4 years at the latest, with separate invoice; observe installation date)”

1 - 10 of 10 Posts