Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking at purchasing a Metris. The air conditioning is my concern. I live in Louisiana and what to know if I really need the C09 - enhanced Air conditioning? I am looking to purchase a 2016, rather than ordering a 2017, and the existing 2016 passenger van does not have the enhanced A/C. I will be using the passenger Metris for in town driving only, but I will be hauling my dogs behind the 2nd row seats. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
943 Posts
When I took mine loaded with passengers to the gulf, I was def happy to have the big boy A.C.. Better to have it and not need it.

If you for sure(!) won't have any passengers you may skip it. When it's just me, I turn the rear off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please forgive my lack of mechanical knowledge (my feelings will not be hurt if you laugh!!) Can I add the enhanced A/C components later? If the price of the existing 2016 is significantly lower than ordering new 2017?

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
The enhanced A/C is designed for limo and taxi operators, and its primary purpose is to keep the system operating properly when the van is idling for extended periods. When moving, the regular passenger system (which has seperate systems for front and rear) will give you the 10th Ave freeze out. The rear system is located drivers side at the rear and one of its blowers goes right into the area behind the third row. On a hot day, irrespective of the system chosen, your dogs issue will be being too cold.

On a hot day, after you have been sitting for about 5-10 minutes (its exterior temperature dependent) the standard system loses its ability to cool air (cooling tubes start becoming too hot) and the AC will blow tepid air (although still dry). The enhanced system doesn't have an extra compressor, so it's total theoretical BTU output is actually the same. It does have an extra condensor, located in a place better suited to get air while sitting, which allows the compressor to work closer to peak output without airflow.

The choice to go with the enhanced system is based on how often you will be sitting around trying to stay cold in the car. If it's rare, you are wasting your money. If it's frequent, it's money well spent.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thank you Greenmanedlion. Very Useful information !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts