Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shop around local dealers, I had mine done at 32K at oil change time one dealer wanted $989.00 for both services, but a dealer 70 miles from me charged me $529.00 for both and since they had it for the day even found me a loaner car through the dealership. you can find a deal and still have it done correctly. 35k for the first, and not again till 105K is what the book says

·
Registered
12 Posts
Allright, after 3 hours the transmission service is complete! I went with Fuchs Titan 7134 FE (blue) for $40/4 liter jug. Metris transmission with new filter including torque converter will need 7.5 liters of fluid. Not bad. However, the stand pipe I bought with the OEM filter kit was white- and just a shade taller than the green pipe in the pan (factory, I think) I switched it out and went for it anyway. New pan bolts are not needed- they are not 'stretch bolts' and in no way shape or form showed any signs of disfigurement. By all means, re-use the old. Secondly, I had the pleasure of buying a Mercedes 722.9 high quality filler pipe machined right here in my neighborhood (which I could rent out). Attached to that was a fluids pump I built out of a Motive power brake bleeder with parts from home depot. Thanks youtube! The whole service was quite simple, though it did take a minute for the t.c. to drain.. but overall worth it. The van continues to run like a top, and shift smooth...no problems and good peace of mind!

·
Registered
258 Posts
When I changed mine, the overflow tube was the same green one as the original. The 6 bolts were less than $1 each so I changed them. I drained the transmission and the the torque converter overnight and got 9 liters out. Also, all of what I read indicated that no sealer is used but I did notice a very thin coating that I removed. I found the fill adapter on eBay for under $10 and used a 2gallon garden sprayer to make a fill unit. I think total price of parts was about $130

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm pretty sure the bolts ARE stretch type (as this is also the first MB trans where bolts are supplied in the maintenance kit), and the filling procedure is temperature based...was this followed?

Also if you keep an eye out you can get service deal promotions for the dealer. I had the 722.9 in my GLK serviced a while back for about $420 out the door at my local MB dealer using a promotion coupon....and it took them nearly 4 hours to complete....subtracting parts/materials that means labor was barely $150. Well worth it!

Edit: Confirmed, they are aluminum bolts designed to stretch and are single use only:

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/mercedes-7-speed-transmission-service-walkthrough-722.9-transmissions

I'd be replacing those ASAP!!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
If one of those bolts fail as your going down the road and it dumps the fluid....MB isn't going to warranty that.... $$$$$$$

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
That’s the kinda stuff that scares me when people do their own work, and then decide things like a bolt isn’t a stretch bolt when it is. Some time later they come on a forum screaming about a blown tranny and how shitty MBs are, and how MB refuse to replace a transmission that busted because a used stretch bolt fell out or caused a leak that drained the fluid and caused it to overheat, and how dare they?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have a feeling it's more about snapping the bolt off going back to the torque spec. for the second time, which is very low. If it's not leaking i wouldn't worry about it, there is no stress on them and it one did fail the whole pan is not coming off...a small leak might develop though. But you should replace them per the manual.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm pretty sure the bolts ARE stretch type (as this is also the first MB trans where bolts are supplied in the maintenance kit), and the filling procedure is temperature based...was this followed?
I'd be replacing those ASAP!!!
As for the fluid temp and level check, what I did was fill it, run the engine, filled it again, drove around for a week, and topped it off again. Did not have a temp reader or know how fast the tranny/t.c. would fill. As such, very happy with the service and the van runs/shifts beautifully!

I did in fact swap out the pan bolts, but, I'm sure these would be acceptable to re-use in many parts of the world:

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Pelican Parts has a good write-up of the fluid change procedure, which I followed. I also had a print out of the WIS as a reference. The correct overflow tube for the Metris is green. The temp can be read off of the Scangauge2 after entering the proper parameters or an infrared thermometer on the pan.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
As for the fluid temp and level check, what I did was fill it, run the engine, filled it again, drove around for a week, and topped it off again. Did not have a temp reader or know how fast the tranny/t.c. would fill. As such, very happy with the service and the van runs/shifts beautifully!

I did in fact swap out the pan bolts, but, I'm sure these would be acceptable to re-use in many parts of the world:
I doubt it. In most places in the world people consider vehicles are very valuable investment. Their standards are nowhere near as lackadaisical as American maintenance standards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts