Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love our 2016 Metris Van, but the small mirrors are a real negative when trying to change lanes as the blind spot is extra large. We didn't get the factory blind spot sensors. Is it possible to retrofit the sensors? Or, does anyone have recommendations for aftermarket blind spot sensors? Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In theory, it's doable, but it can be way more expensive than the original price. I would call the dealer 1st and in the meantime search MB forums, such as mbworld.org etc. to see if people had done that with other MB cars.

What I can imagine are: rear sensors (some models have front sensors too if the car is longer), controller, wiring, new mirrors or (glasses etc), and coding etc, plus labor. All these will at least double or triple the original cost.

I would try this tip first that I used for cars with good rear-view from inside of the car (won't work if have no rear window(s) and int. mirror)

* if you can see your tail in ext. mirrors, then you're not set them correctly
* move ext. mirrors outward till you have the minimum blind spots and are comfortable to yourself (this give you the minimum blind spots)

- before changing lane, scan the int. mirror (to identify cars far behind), scan the side ext. mirror (to identify cars close to you), and do the shoulder check to make sure there's no car in your blind spot (normally, there's still a very tiny blind-spot, so you need a shoulder check)

Blind spot assist doesn't work when speed is <~20mi (30km), so the tip above is still useful though your car has that feature installed.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I will probably just make sure the mirrors are adjusted carefully and be careful.

But, FYI I found an aftermarket company, Goshers that has some highly rated Blind Spot Sensors. They're not too expensive, but you really need professional installation that I am sure will put it out of the ball park.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts