Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an after market alarm system to their van. If so how did it go. I have heard story's from people with sprinters saying it was a nightmare?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Can't say for the Metris, but the system in my friends Sprinter was a bit of a pain. Most after market systems are. This one integrated with the CAN Bus, and used some of the vans own sensors.

I would say it is redundant to a good locking system. They can't move the truck without the key, and if they can't get into the cargo bay...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not worried about then stealing the van. I keep tools in the cargo area just want something that will ring or have a key fob ring if anything. I also know a remote start is a big no no on this van.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went with the Mid City alarm system, it integrates with the CANBUS system, and works great. I wasn't worried about the van being able to be stolen, I just wanted a noisemaker in case a window was broken or a door was opened or something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went with the Mid City alarm system, it integrates with the CANBUS system, and works great. I wasn't worried about the van being able to be stolen, I just wanted a noisemaker in case a window was broken or a door was opened or something.
We often forget about the security of parking lots. It won't take more than a minute for a burglar to break in. Articles show that there are 3 main security threats for parking lots as mentioned in this article (http://www.apialarm.com/blog/security-threats/3-common-security-threats-parking-lots/).

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am not interested much in security because I never lock anything and never leave anything of value. Lucky me.

But, I did come across an idea that people with particularly valuable equipment might want to look into.

I got a device for locating my wife's keys when she misplaces them that operates off any wi-fi. Clipped to a piece of equipment, it might provide some interesting results. Obviously you don't care to ring it, but it will notify you and locate itself if it comes into the zone of a wi-fi.

Read here. This is what I bought:

https://www.thetileapp.com/

·
Registered
271 Posts
Anybody know about the OEM one? I remember seeing it as an option on the build sheet. It was like $399. Most likely a LPO and dealer install? Or would it really be a factory one?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went Mid City Engineering, but in the Chicago area not SF. This was the smoothest Metris install I've had so far! I got this Compustar system that will send a text to my phone/iwatch whenever the alarm goes off. I put in the window breaking sensor as well. They also wired in my radar detector for a small fee. Now when I work "out of the van" in some of the rougher neighborhoods I have more peace of mind! If the van's stolen or towed with my expensive equipment in it, I can locate it with GPS!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts