Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I made the plunge on a set of Adventure Van Co. insulated curtains (Shades?). I'm posting because of the unusually great, personalized service I got, indeed, virtually custom service. The curtains are not cheap, but I got an incredible amount of personal service, so they earned the $$$ AFAIAC.

After a round of promptly answered emails with Zach, and a revision of their website to let me buy only the front side windows and not the whole cockpit set (i.e., no front windshield), I initially ordered everything but the front windshield. I was concerned it would sag, based on the website pix and a YouTube of the product on a Ford Transit. Turns out they were just in the process of doing a new photo shoot for the site. Anyway, Zach took the time to send me a personal video explaining how the windshield shade is used, and how it prevents any significant sagging (I used my primitive video editing skills to excise my name from the beginning of the vid, so it may sound a bit chopped). I was very impressed with this level of service. BTW, there is a discount code on YouTube that I found after the buy, my bad, but FYI. I asked Zach if they'd honor it after-the-fact, and haven't heard back. As I said, my mistake. I'm getting nothing for writing this, so no $$ bias here.

If you look closely at this picture and the close-up from their soon-to be modified website, you can make out that the windshield curtain has a standard notch around the rear view mirror, just like my stiff, lightweight HeatShields:
Rectangle Textile Comfort Line Flag of the united states
Flag Rectangle Art Font Tints and shades

I thought the only stiffener was the reflective outward facing material on the curtains as shown below:
Couch Rectangle Wood Comfort Flag

The video Zach sent shows the curtains like this:
Car Hood Light Motor vehicle Automotive design

As I mentioned above, one YouTuber with a Ford Transit wound up gluing Velcro to their windshield as a fix, and that really turned me off. As it turns out, the curtains have a Velcro wrap around the rear view mirror. Based upon Zach's video, this should make all the difference in usability and in keeping the reflective material as close to the front glass as possible, maximizing the radiant heat reduction value of the shiny stuff.

I'll post pix after the install. I am really curious about how well they work to keep light in the van from escaping. I like the HeatShields, but the suction cup system is very old skool compared to the neodymium magnets that will work great on my unadorned 135 Cargo.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 135WB Cargo
50 Posts
I have the 3pc cockpit set for my 2020 135 WB cargo van. I think these were made for the passenger vans and not cargo (For example, I don’t have a rear view mirror, but there is a cutout for one on the windshield cover). I got these in Dec 2020, not long after I bought the van.
They are very insulated, but I no longer use it for 2 reasons: 1) because of the thickness, its hard to roll up and store, and 2) it doesn’t block out all of the light. Take a look at the pics for how I jerry rig the “bend”.

I am a single female and only use the van for camping trips during the summer, so privacy is more important to me than temperature control. Ended up getting a Weathertech windshield cover and side window covers on eBay from Down By the River (last pic)
Light Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle

Vehicle Motor vehicle Aircraft Hood Automotive design

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle door Comfort

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have the 3pc cockpit set for my 2020 135 WB cargo van. I think these were made for the passenger vans and not cargo (For example, I don’t have a rear view mirror, but there is a cutout for one on the windshield cover). I got these in Dec 2020, not long after I bought the van.
They are very insulated, but I no longer use it for 2 reasons: 1) because of the thickness, its hard to roll up and store, and 2) it doesn’t block out all of the light. Take a look at the pics for how I jerry rig the “bend”.

I am a single female and only use the van for camping trips during the summer, so privacy is more important to me than temperature control. Ended up getting a Weathertech windshield cover and side window covers on eBay from Down By the River (last pic) View attachment 20845
View attachment 20846
View attachment 20844
I was worried about same given the weight, but I have a rear view mirror to go with my rear tinted windows. I run single as well, so I am cautious about privacy. Also, I agree that the Adventure Van covers are really more important as a winter thing. The HeatShield works well on my front windshield.

But I was surprised I hadn't thought of the manner in which Zach recommends using the sun visors (see above) -- I had always done it as you have, but angling the visors makes a lot of sense for support. Also, I have a flat storage area where the HeatShields go now, so I am OK for storage.

For the front door covers, it is my understanding that the covers like to be closed into the top of the door. The same YouTube vid shows these folk gluing Velcro to their windshield to hold the covers, but they too don't have the visors angled as AVC suggests. Zach's video was partly in response to my suggestion that they add vertical stays to the front cover for support and foldability. We'll see if I got B.S.'d, though the photos they sent look good to me. I am pretty sure Zach visits the forum time to time, so maybe they will weigh in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have their side window covers and they are very good. They fit much better than the previous high dollar shades that kept falling down. My windshield cover has silver reflector on one side and insulated on the other. It does sag quite a bit though.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have their side window covers and they are very good. They fit much better than the previous high dollar shades that kept falling down. My windshield cover has silver reflector on one side and insulated on the other. It does sag quite a bit though.
Is the sag in the center? -- I guess I'll find out soon!! It would be great to see a picture if you have one.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, after a month or so of use, I'm really pleased with the Adventure Van Co. insulated shades. Here's a few starter pics. No sag for me, but I baby the front windshield shade with flat storage.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Bling

Brown Outerwear Sleeve Denim Grey

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

MaxxFan Shade

Hood Automotive lighting Grille Motor vehicle Automotive design

Rolled storage for sides and rear
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Tire

Reactions: icerabbit

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
More pix of the Adventure Van Co. shades after my couple of weeks in the Sierras. I am highly satisfied and glad I made the purchase. I especially appreciate the ability to stow the shades in-place (other than the cockpit). No sag to speak of.

To my pleasant surprise, between my high bunk and the AVC shades, I slept really warm in outside temperatures down to the mid-twenties. The AVC shades provide far better insulation than my Heat Shields did -- all install points are easier with the AVC magnets as opposed to the Heat Shield suction cups, with one exeption -- the front windshield. The AVC front windshield cover is super heavy and a great insulator, but I can't install it without exiting Metris to fetch it and put it in place. Minor trade-off for a superior product.

Magnetic tie down/stowage strap on driver's rear barn door.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Blue Bumper Automotive exterior

Passenger side rear barn door.

Sky Plant Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tight fit for passenger slider
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Plant

Driver's side CRL window cover fits perfectly.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Mode of transport Plant

1 - 8 of 8 Posts