Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 · (Edited)
This is a great design. I built something similar to this for my pickup bed and it was incredibly versatile over years of varied outdoor adventures with different combinations of gear and people. Seeing it in a Metris is great. Plus your craftsmanship is way above mine. Nice work. .
Thank you for the compliment!

Not having to pitch or break down a large tent or bringing bulky sleeping cots is such a plus! My favorite thing about the Metris is that I no longer have to strap my longboards on top for weekly surf sessions. Just slide them down the middle, such a time saver :)

This is a really awesome professional build. I also like the design of the pop-up table. It's probably really sturdy due to the one side being supported by the plywood and two hinges. Having the cushions being a back rest seems like a great idea and probably super cosy for an indoor meal or playing a card game. The lanterns are a great solution to the missing lights in the ceiling handles. I need to have a look at those mini lanterns for myself.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
This is a really awesome professional build. I also like the design of the pop-up table. It's probably really sturdy due to the one side being supported by the plywood and two hinges. Having the cushions being a back rest seems like a great idea and probably super cosy for an indoor meal or playing a card game. The lanterns are a great solution to the missing lights in the ceiling handles. I need to have a look at those mini lanterns for myself.
I got both the minis and the big lantern and like that they are a warm glow vs bright white. Before I used a good old coleman lantern but not needing propane canisters and mantles is also convenient.

@Hedge warm glow sounds better, especially in the evenings when you don't want to be awakened by bright white light. I'm probably going to get a set.

I wasn't aware you being able to get black powdered coating aluminum extrusions. For some reason I thought the anodization would be more durable. I'll have to investigate for my build. What size 80/20 did you use?

Discussion starter · #27 ·
@Hedge warm glow sounds better, especially in the evenings when you don't want to be awakened by bright white light. I'm probably going to get a set.

I wasn't aware you being able to get black powdered coating aluminum extrusions. For some reason I thought the anodization would be more durable. I'll have to investigate for my build. What size 80/20 did you use?
I used 30 profile. I don't think the company offers it but my local shop does. You can see some scratches on mine but I'd just go with whatever's cheaper.

After working on my bed platform for close to a year it's finally done! So many redos, adjustments, and trips to home depot!

Let me know what you guys think of the platform as I'm thinking of building a few more if there is interest. Would this be something you'd want in your van?

View attachment 21071

Molle panels for easy access to van goods. Water bottle holders, medical pouch, trash and storage bags.
View attachment 21072

Sleeps two adults comfortably with plenty of headroom when sitting up. Platform is also easy to remove with two adults. Stock seats can easily be put back.
View attachment 21073

Lot of storage space under the benches. (Currently houses 2 camp chairs, pillows, blankets, tea pot, coleman stove, Ecoflow battery, tools, van jack and other miscellaneous goods)
View attachment 21074

Sitting inside to change into my wetsuit or moto gear when it's cold outside is a plus :)
View attachment 21075

Cold foam memory cushions (no topper needed)
View attachment 21076

Center pops up to reveal a work table that's comfortable for two. Perfect for laptop usage or grabbing meals inside.
View attachment 21077

Mini lanterns are by Barebones Living... really like them!
View attachment 21078

View attachment 21079

Moto carrier has good ground clearance now after the 2" lift
View attachment 21080
Sweet. Worth the wait. Congratulations

After working on my bed platform for close to a year it's finally done! So many redos, adjustments, and trips to home depot!

Let me know what you guys think of the platform as I'm thinking of building a few more if there is interest. Would this be something you'd want in your van?
Great design work! It shows a lot of careful thought put into it (e.g., the butterfly hinged lids).
What is the height of the bed platform? And what is the thickness of your foam pads?

I could be interested, if you do plan on building additional sets.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Great design work! It shows a lot of careful thought put into it (e.g., the butterfly hinged lids).
What is the height of the bed platform? And what is the thickness of your foam pads?

I could be interested, if you do plan on building additional sets.
Hey thank you! I can't remember the frame height off the top of my head but it should probably be customized to your sitting height. The seat cushions are 3". I may be building out more if there is interest or sell the plans and provide my vendor contacts. DM me if interested and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks dude! I just read your post on your lift kit install. I did the the same lift combo with new bearings a few months back but kept the sway bars links stock, hope they will be ok. Do you feel an improvement with the cross drilled rotors and pads? I'm carrying more weight now and feel like I could use a little more braking power.
sorry for the late response, i had been in nicaragua for 2 weeks of surfing.
anyway, you have to change or modify the sway bar links to keep them in the regular motion range. sooner or later they will bend. it doesn't really make the van unsafe but it will give you peace of mind.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
sorry for the late response, i had been in nicaragua for 2 weeks of surfing.
anyway, you have to change or modify the sway bar links to keep them in the regular motion range. sooner or later they will bend. it doesn't really make the van unsafe but it will give you peace of mind.
Thanks for the tip! I think I will be updating the links as well.. getting some funny noises down there when I'm on some bumpy roads.

How was the surf there? I just got back from an extended stay in Costa Rica. Missing the warm water temps!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.